7mm ballistic tips

deltahunter

Beginner
Nov 10, 2009
I’ve read that a 150 grain ballistic tip is built tougher than a 160 grain ballistic tip. Does anyone know if there’s any truth to this?

Not true. Every BT has its own drawing and spec with the exception of the 7mm 120 gr BT which shares the 140 gr jacket. The jacket is cut back to meet a 120 gr profile. This results in the forward portion of the jacket to be thicker, resulting in a more robust bullet capable of withstanding higher impact velocities. The 7mm 120 gr BT is one tough bullet.

JD338

Yea, I knew the 120 was tougher, but I read that the 150 was too. I’m debating on whether to go with the 150 or 160 in my 7mm Rem Mag.

I used the 160 gr BT at 3000 fps in my 280 AI to take this doe. It was a DRT kill.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20211229_174658214.jpg
    IMG_20211229_174658214.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 12
I use the 160 in a 7SS at 3000 also, it’s really well behaved.
And of course ridiculously accurate

I run the 150 gr. Nosler Partition at 2880 FPS in my 7x57 and the 160 gr. Speer Grand Slam at 29FPS in my .280 Rem. Frankly, if I were to run a 160 gr. in 7MM Mag., I'd lood at the AccuBond instead of the BT but that's me. I have tried the 150 gr. ABLR in three 7x57s, a .280 Rem. and one 7MM Mag. but none of my guns like that bullet. Oh well, can't win'em all.
Paul B.

I had good success on deer with the 150 gr. BT in a 7mm RM. I also had good success with the 150 gr. ABLR in the 7mm WSM. Both flattened deer. I have not shot anything with a 160 gr. 7mm bullet yet.

A couple of the guys I’ve hunted elk and deer with for the last 50 years ran 7mags and 160s. It’s a great combo. Partitions and Accubonds mostly.

Sorry, do not know.
I have not used the BTs in any 7mm, but have had great luck with the 140 gr AccuBond on the 280 Rem and the 160 gr AccuBond in the 7MM STW over the past 20 some years. A 160 gr AB at 3222 fps does an excellent job of providing quick kills when placed in the vitals of large game! (The 140 gr AB at 2883 fps in my rifle works on elk too)
Now that I have my own 7mm-08, I am using the 140 gr AccuBond in it, and have acquired the 150 gr BTs and AccuBonds to work up loads for my 280 Rem with (currently have it sighted in with the 150 gr Partition). Hope to prove them on a variety of big game in the years to come!
Have to say that if I could find some 155 gr Terminal Ascent bullets, I would also like to try to develop a load for the 280 Rem with them (and some of the new 170 gr TA's in the 7MM STW).

When I had a 7mmRM I tried and used Nosler 150BT and found it to be a good deer bullet. It didn't create any more damage than a Sierra 150gr GameKing. I liked it better than the 140grBT. If just shooting deer the 150s will do just fine. Dan.

One of the fellas who got me started on the Mashburn Super is a huge believer in the 150 BT's at 3250 from his rifle. It accounted for alot of elk, deer and bear for him.

Not true. Every BT has its own drawing and spec with the exception of the 7mm 120 gr BT which shares the 140 gr jacket. The jacket is cut back to meet a 120 gr profile. This results in the forward portion of the jacke answet to be thicker, resulting in a more robust bullet capable of withstanding higher impact velocities. The 7mm 120 gr BT is one tough bullet.

JD338

JD338, I have often wondered about this myself and have spent a good bit of time down through the months trying to ACTUALLY find out if this was true. After searching through many, many threads on many different forums I have yet to find anyone that really knows. Most of the responses have been, "I have heard" with no definite answer.

I was talking with John Barsness back in 2019 and posed this question about the 120 gr and 140 gr bullet to him. This was his response Notice the first two words.

"I've heard the jacket is the 150-grain 7mm Ballistic Tip's cut down, but when I sectioned a couple of both, the jackets weren't exactly alike in the base either. I suspect that Nosler makes each bullet a little different".

You say, "Every BT has its own drawing and spec with the exception of the 7mm 120 gr BT which shares the 140 gr jacket" Where can I find this information?

With Nosler BT bullets being impact extruded it seems to reason that each BT grain weight will have it's own extruded jacket, not share one with another weight class.

JD338, I have often wondered about this myself and have spent a good bit of time down through the months trying to ACTUALLY find out if this was true. After searching through many, many threads on many different forums I have yet to find anyone that really knows. Most of the responses have been, "I have heard" with no definite answer.

I was talking with John Barsness back in 2019 and posed this question about the 120 gr and 140 gr bullet to him. This was his response Notice the first two words.

"I've heard the jacket is the 150-grain 7mm Ballistic Tip's cut down, but when I sectioned a couple of both, the jackets weren't exactly alike in the base either. I suspect that Nosler makes each bullet a little different".

You say, "Every BT has its own drawing and spec with the exception of the 7mm 120 gr BT which shares the 140 gr jacket" Where can I find this information?

With Nosler BT bullets being impact extruded it seems to reason that each BT grain weight will have it's own extruded jacket, not share one with another weight class.
I have been told by Nosler that the 120 gr BT uses a cut down 140 gr BT jacket. All other bullets have their own jacket.

JD338

Back