7mm jacket thickness

captdavid

Beginner
Jan 30, 2005
Would someone please tell me the jacket thickness difference between the .284 caliber 120, 140, 150 and 160 grain bullets. thanks, capt david

I can't tell you actual jacket thickness but I can tell you that the 120 gr BT is
actually a 140 gr BT jacket that has been cut back to a 120 gr bullet profile. This actually gives the 120 gr BT a thicker jacket from the polycarbonate tip on down and is why the 120 gr BT is such a robust bullet.
I will also say that this is the only caliber in the BT lineup that a lighter bullet uses a heavier bullets jacket.

JD338

Maybe you can answer this then: How do the 150BTs compare to the 120s and 140s? thanks, capt david

captdavid":2s3ctns7 said:
Maybe you can answer this then: How do the 150BTs compare to the 120s and 140s? thanks, capt david

Not sure I follow your question.
The 140 gr and 150 gr BT's have their own jackets.

JD338

I'm just trying to establish the relative 'stoutness', to uae yor words of the three. sorry for the confusion and thanks, capt david

captdavid":1hu7zare said:
I'm just trying to establish the relative 'stoutness', to uae yor words of the three. sorry for the confusion and thanks, capt david

I would rate them as:
120 gr BT
140 gr BT
150 gr BT

Hope this helps you. Any more questions, let me know.

JD338

They are equally tough as far as jackets go.

Capt'n.....Probably the best guidance I can give is this.
If you are looking for a stout bullet, move to the AccuBond. This is especially true if you plan to drive the pill above 3100fps from the muzzle on antelope size, or larger game.

Now, that's probably not the answer you are looking for, and maybe this one isn't either, but the two best ways I can think of to learn what you really want to know, is to figure out a good way to disect the bullets, or test them at the velocities you plan to use them, with JD's famous milk jug/water test.

Back