7mm Rem Mag & 140 Accubonds

The first set of numbers in fps are at 60,000 psi. The second set of numbers in fps are set at 64,250 psi.
The loads are from hand loding manuals, and from QL data that I've seen on the forums here in Nosler.
With my TC Venture, I've seen data from .270 win loads, and they usually run around the same speed when chronied. The 5r rifling helps with the velocities being higher, I think.
Anyway, the .280 isn't all that far behind a 7mm Rem Mag, no matter what.

Hawk

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

I want to see some targets shot Guy! A 2.5-8x Leupold scope with the B&C reticle would be a nice scope for that rifle as would a 3.5-10x40mm or 4.5-14x40mm with the same B&C reticle. Maybe a fixed 6x42mm with LR dots calibrated for your bullet and velocities!! Leupold would put one of those together for you and you know how we both like those fixed 6x scopes!

I sure like the 4.5-14x40mm Leupold I put on my 280 AI with the B&C reticle. Hard choices.

Ya, I'll get it out to the range to check those AccuBond loads one of these days. A lot of other stuff on the schedule right now though. Someday.

Meanwhile, I'd hunt with the factory Remington 140's with no hesitation.

Guy

Finally got those loads out over a chronograph today:

66 grains of RL-22 moved the 140 AB at 3082 fps.

67 grains of RL-22 moved the same bullet at 3178 fps.

That's roughly 100 fps faster with only one grain heavier powder charge, which tells me that I'm getting close to maximum. Also, Nosler lists 67.5 grains as a max load with that bullet. Not surprisingly I also saw the SD & ES number tighten up a lot with the heavier powder charge.

I was just shooting off sticks today, no serious accuracy testing. Both hit fine and I'd hunt with either, though obviously I'd prefer the 67 grain load.

I might try 67.5 or even a bit heavier load. Feeling real good about this rifle!

Guy

I think you’ll be great going a bit faster with that barrel length and 22 Guy. That’s a wicked combo and you’ll have a hard time not loving that combo out in open country. That 7 mag is one classic cartridge that just seems to be getting better with newer powders and bullets.

I'd have to dig up my load book on the 7mag with 140s, but I think I was using 68.5g RL22 with a 140g NBT for 3250fps and under 1/2 MOA.

Guy,

I know you like your .25-06 a lot. You'll be extremely pleased with the flatness of the trajectory of the 140 gr bullets in your 7mm Rem Mag. They will work great for deer.
You won't notice any difference in performance up close to 250 yds from your '06 and the 7mm Rem Mag. At 300 yds and beyond, you'll start noticing the difference, where the BC's are higher in the 7mm, and it'll shoot flatter at farther distances, and hit harder too. You won't have to aim as high on game animals as you do with your '06. You'll also notice that the 7mm bullets have a higher SD, and you'll get more penetration on the bigger game animals too. Several people use the 160 gr bullets for everything, because it just plain gets the job done. It shoots plenty flat, and more than enough energy for almost anything on this continent. The 160's work really well on the bigger bodied mule deer, as well.
As a side benefit, the 140's work well on long range coyote shots.
Guy, just like you, I recently acquired a heck of a deal I couldn't pass up. I was presented with a deal on a Winchester Model 70 Sporter Deluxe in 7mm Rem Mag. I'm getting myself reacquainted with my first cartridge I loved.

Hawk

Ya, years ago, I used the 7mm Rem Mag quite a bit. Favored the long, heavy bullets then 160 - 175 grain. They worked well. But I want to try the 140 class bullets this year.

Favorably impressed with them for a real good reason.

Guy

Guy Miner":eo8m8s5c said:
Ya, years ago, I used the 7mm Rem Mag quite a bit. Favored the long, heavy bullets then 160 - 175 grain. They worked well. But I want to try the 140 class bullets this year.

Favorably impressed with them for a real good reason.

Guy
Sorry, I keep forgetting you're loading the 140 gr AB's, and I forgot you had a 7mm Rem Mag in the past.
I can't wait to see how they'll do for you.
With their reputation, I'm thinking they'll be outstanding performers, as always.
I hadn't tried the Remington Core-lokt, I had been impressed with Federal standard ammo way back in the late 80's.
Anyway, I wish you good shooting, and good hunting in the near future for you and the Ruger Number 1 7mm Rem Mag.

Hawk

I don't have everyone's rifle history memorized either! :grin:

I think this rifle is going to work out well for me. Looks good, feels good, shoots good. That's all good eh?

(y)

Guy Miner":361axxcx said:
I don't have everyone's rifle history memorized either! :grin:

I think this rifle is going to work out well for me. Looks good, feels good, shoots good. That's all good eh?

(y)
Most definitely![emoji16]

Guy,

While I have been looking hard to find 140 gr 7mm Rem Mag ammo in my parts, it seems that the only ammo available here is 150 gr Winchester, Remington, and Federal 7mm Rem Mag.
So.... I have picked up 2 boxes of Winchester, and 2 boxes of Remington.
I already have 10 rds of Federal ammo I got in the deal for my Winchester M70.
I do believe I'm set for a while.
Plus, I'm buying Hornady 139 Hornady SST bullets to roll my own after blasting off the factory ammo.

Hawk

That bullet in your rifle is going to be a death ray on antelope, deer, and elk! I sure like the 140 gr. AccuBond in my 280 AI. I just love those Ruger #1's too. It's nice to be able to seat bullets out there without having to worry about magazine space most of the time. I think you might need a 6mm Remington in a 1B to go with your collection there Guy!

The 140 gr. AccuBond should serve you well Guy. Pretty tough to beat that combination in the 7mm Remington. I sure like me some Ruger single-shots! You just need a 6mm Remington in a 1B to round out your collection.

Look forward to seeing the results in paper and on animals the AB is great round and usually not hard to get shooting well

Corey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back