7mm rem mag resizing

rbwhotrod

Beginner
May 8, 2007
Any suggestions on whether to FL resize my cases or just neck size. and any suggestions on using my FL resizing die to just neck size. I have always heard to FL resize belted magnums, but I just read an article in the speer reloading manual that said it was unnecessary on 7mm rem mags.
I am loading 140 grain ballistic tips with 64 grains of IMR 4831

Thanks

First, you cannot neck size with a FL die. The body of the case will be in contact with the die before the neck is close to touching. You can PFL, partial full lenght, with a FL die. The method you want to use is to size so that you are headspacing on the shoulder and not the belt for PFL. If you want to neck size then get a neck die. Neck size until the cases start to get tight in the chamber and the PFL so the shoulder has 0.001-0.002" of clearance. A search of this site should provide you with the method.Rick.

Partial full length neck sizing will allow you to head space off the shoulder and will prolong the case life. Its a good way to go.

JD338

If you are shooting something like a Ruger #1, do full length sizing only. The action does not have the strong camming that a bolt gun does to snug the shoulder. Its a b'ich when rushing that second shot at game and the new round will not cam into the chamber. BTDT.

Back