7mm RM

highcotton

Beginner
Sep 28, 2010
Going to start loading for my BIL’s 7 mag. I’ve never loaded for a belted mag before, so I guess I’m looking for some loads and anything to watch out for. Thanks in advance.

Just back off your sizing die a tiny bit so you don't push back the shoulder on fired brass and you'll be fine. Since they headspace off of the belt sometimes brass manufacturers are a bit sloppy on the dimensions of the brass. Of course higher end brass like Norma and the like tends to be very good though.

In the past we used a lot of Retumbo and RL 22 with 160's and heavier, in the rifle I have now IMR 7977 and IMR 4451 both shot well with the 154 gr Hornady Spire Point. Tons of other great powders and bullets to choose from out there so have fun.

I’ve had really good consistency using Retumbo and 168gr Barnes LRX. I’ve had groups as small as 0.33”. I was able to make a 380 yard shot on a WT buck today going for a neck shot. He crumpled on the spot. I found that 71.5 grains of powder worked for me but start lower and work your way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used my 7RM exclusively for quite a few years. I was wedded to 175 grain bullets early on, though I shot quite a few 160 grain pills in later years. I had excellent success with the 175 grain TBBC and with the 175 grain PT. I also shot a fair number of the old Speer Mag Tip. All of them gave me good consistency. I didn't push them hard, and they all took game. Honestly, a 150 grain bulled would be sufficient for most game we hunt, but I always felt the extra case capacity meant the bullet wanted to run. H1000 is a favourite powder, though in the day I used a lot of H870, MagPro and RL22. More recently, I've been using Magnum and RL22.

I have had excellent accuracy with RL22 and both 140 gr BT and 160 gr AB. Both loads have the same POI at 100 yards and 1" difference at 200 yards.

JD338

H1000 is the only powder I shoot in mine. 3000fps with a 180gr Eld-M and 3250fps with 140gr E-tip. I've pushed the 140gr to 3300fps but 3250fps was more accurate.

I have found IMR 4350 to work well with 139-140 gr. bullets, although RL22 is very dependable also. Magnum primes may shrink the groups also.

When I had my 7mmRM used IMR4831 with both 140 and 150 BT. RL22 worked as well using 140 AB . Fed 215 primers in all loads. Dan.

I really liked the 7mm Rem mag. Good power, not bad in the recoil dept. Great accuracy potential too.

Biggest game animal I ever took with the 7mm Rem mag was a big 6x6 bull, 175 gr Nosler Partition at about 180 yards. One shot, a few steps, and down. Complete penetration, broadside through the heart/lung area.

A couple of years ago I saw a grizzly drop to a single shot from a 7mm Rem mag. Later the hunter came over to me and said that he'd mixed up his ammo and only used a 140 gr Barnes TSX! I was in on the photographing and skinning of that grizzly. Wow! Lots of performance from a fairly light bullet...

Used to use H870 with the 175's. It's pretty much all gone now. Reloader 22 has worked well for me too.

Am thinking that a 160 gr bullet is about right for most game that most of us would pursue with a 7mm Rem Mag. Maybe the Partition. Can load that to about 3,000 - 3,100 fps.

Guy

The magnums have a tendency to separate just forward of the belt after so many loadings. After sizing the cases, you need check each case for a rough, spot or a seem developing, on the INSIDE of the case. A simple tool can be made using a piece of single strand wire ( i use # 10) with a 1/4" or so L at the bottom). You create the L with pliers. Mine is about 5 inches long and bent at the top so I can hold it. You check the case by running the tip of the wire down through the mouth of the case to the bottom then applying a slight amount of pressure against the case while pulling up. You will feel the tip go over the crack. Try it in a new case to start with, which will give you a feel how smooth it is and then when you feel one you will know what it is. When you feel a crack throw them away !

Reloader 26 if you can find it. 160 AccuBond, 68.5 grains, work up to it. 162 eldx, 69 grains, work up to it.

Close to 3k at the muzzle for each load. I’ve killed 2 elk with the 162 load.

P

I used IMR 4350 for the 140 and 150gr. Several decades later I used R26/160s and R33/175gr Sierra. Some say since the 7mm caliber "balances" with a 160gr bullet, that's the only weight to use. Maybe with cup n core, but a 140 Nosler Ballistic Tip for all deer/antelope and a 140 Barnes TTSX for bigger...Gold Jerry! Gold! :) Have a ball Pard!

I really like the 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.67.5grs of Reloader-22 or 69.0grs of Reloader-26.160gr Accubonds are great too.66.0grs of Reloader-22 or 67.5grs of Reloader-26

Attachments

• 7mag 3.jpg
    7mag 3.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,066
Do you know the twist rate? Factory rifle? If so, which one? Purpose for the rifle? I will always have a 7mm RM in my hunting rotation and have tried many different combos for hunting. I have more confidence in the rifle then i do myself.

Browning rifles have used 1 turn in 10", most Remington 700 used 1 in 9 1/4". Ruger, Sako, Savage, Winchester and others used 1 in 9 1/2". Most of the later models in this caliber use 1 turn in 9 1/4" or 9 1/2", these numbers are out of the Nosler handbook.

Back