7x57 RL17 and the 140AB

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I bought a bunch of Norma brass for my son's 7mm Mauser. I had done a bunch of work with it with Winchester brass so I dropped back a little since the Norma is a touch thicker. Speeds were very impressive and everytime I shoot this rifle I am impressed. What really impresses me is RL17. It is really a great powder.

I am going to run a seating depth profile next, but so far, I like what I see. I believe I could go higher with RL17, but I am sticking with 49.5/50.0 grains I think. It is gentle and pumps that 140 out around 2975 or so. Cases look excellent though. Just can't believe how well the powder work with the Mauser. Pretty sure backing the bullet off a little more will bring the groups in real nice.

I had a shift in sunlight out on the range, so I am thinking alot of the flyer's were more me, but most shots broke well, but my sight picture was changing as the sun struck the target.

Any of you all looking for a sweet 7mm, don't overlook the 7mm Mauser. Just an incredible performer when teamed up with a magazine long enough to seat the bullets out a little. All of these loads were at 3.100 COAL. Recoil is very mild and the little Featherweight is a dream to handle.

These were shot at 200 yards.

49.0 grains - 2907, 2932, 2928, 2918

49.5 grains - 2932, 3014, 2958, 2963

50.0 grains - 2976, 3014, 2929, 2998

That's looking good Scotty. The Featherweight is just a classy rifle and you have to admit that 6mm's father is a very good cartridge!! It deserves a lot more acclaim than it gets.

David.

Man what speeds Scotty! That is smoking for the old 7mm.

I handled about a half dozen 7x57 M70's today at Cabelas here in KC. Varying degrees of wood figure and styles, and prices. A little too much for me at the moment, but your load work has me thinking.....

You and me both Pat. I really like the little 7x57. Really a great case and slick handling combo. Pretty easy on powder too... Nearly 3000 with a 140 is a great combo in my book.

David, I would be all over one of these if I could right now. Everytime I shoot it, I want one even more.

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Yeah, I think I'll be at the bench shortly to do some work with my 7X57 and RL17.

Mike, I am very impressed with 17 in this cartridge. I have high hopes accuracy pulls together.

Nice shooting man. That 140 AB put the hurt on antelope for me this last season. Total pass throughs with pudding in between. I wouldn't hesitate to send one through any elk that walked the planet...or deer for that matter.
Joe

Went back out with 49.5 grains of RL17, Norma cases, CCIBR2's and just ran through some seating depths.

Still have some ability to go shorter, so I think I will keep bringing them down. Seems like they are getting better as the length gets on the shorter side.

Speeds are a little weird. Again, had the sun popping in and out on me, but still relatively decent overall

3.075" - 2922, 2890, 2888

3.050" - 2907, 2935, 2884

3.025" - 2941, 2900, 2873

3.000" - 2901, 2905, ERROR

It looks good and it is doing well, but I am going to take them a little shorter and reshoot 3.000" the next time out. Seems like it is getting closer everytime. You fellas with the 7x57's and 7mm-08's, RL17 is kicking butt in this cartridge. Really easy on the brass. Even at 2900, the primers are still very round at the corners. Not a hint of anything being overpressure. Very much looking forward to seeing this load worked out.

I have some 150 PT's loaded with RL17 as well. Just didn't have time to run them through. Thinking they should be really good as well.

It does appear that as you poke the bullets into the case, groups are getting tighter.

Gotta love the 7 x57. I took one to Africa loaded with the 160 Accubonds. I have a good accurate load with the 140's but at the time I was completely out so I stayed with the 160's. I've been messing around with a .280 but my 7x57 velocity is basically the same so I've been wondering why even have the .280? Loaded up in a modern rifle there's not much point.

lefty315":2ic0cpwa said:
Gotta love the 7 x57. I took one to Africa loaded with the 160 Accubonds. I have a good accurate load with the 140's but at the time I was completely out so I stayed with the 160's. I've been messing around with a .280 but my 7x57 velocity is basically the same so I've been wondering why even have the .280? Loaded up in a modern rifle there's not much point.

Amen brother. I'm really liking this cartridge a lot. It impresses the crap out of me.

Back