8mm Magnum(s)

OU812":nkesl2v4 said:
mgood":nkesl2v4 said:
OU812":nkesl2v4 said:
I have some 200 TSX and 250 grain partitions if your interested.
Interested, yes, fascinated. 250 gr Partitions? Never heard of 'em.

250 gr Partitions? Never heard of 'em.

Me either, I realized just a few minutes ago it was a typo, meant 200 grain partitions.
I thought I'd stumbled across a treasure that they'd once made but has since gone out of production lol. Got all excited. Still interested in a box of 200 gr Partitions and the 200 gr TSX.

I appreciate everyone offering their 8mm bullets, but it'll probably be after the first of the year before I can buy anything. I have a 6.5mm Brux barrel ordered for another project that I need to pay for soon, and I'm trying to gather up the funds to order a Defiance action for the same 6.5 project. That and it's Christmas shopping time and I've already bought enough stuff for me. And I work in the oil field. The oil field isn't doing so well - you might have noticed the low prices at the gas pumps - so money is a little tight.

Congrats on the big 8. It's one I've always wanted and man, it has the ability to really run hard with 200's and 220's.

Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you. Love those older cartridges and odd calibers. Pretty cool in my opinion.

I had a friend who bought an identical rifle to yours way back when they first came out, the '70s. He used it on javalina, little Texas whitetail, hogs. I think he used the factory load, which if I remember, Remington had one in 185grain? Its ben too long for me, but he said it was one kicking devil, ha. At the time I felt just fine with identical BDL in 7mm Rem mag, ha. About 4 mos ago I 'almost" bought a nice used Mod 700 Classic 8mm Remmag at the LGS, it was listed for $550! I went home, thought about it, when I got back it was gone, ha. Only 8mm I ever owned was a Russian pick up Nazi Mod 98. I think your 200gr makes more sense for really hammering elk, but, I used a 180gr AccuBond in a 338 RUM for a big Aoudad and it was awesome! It acted just like a Partition. That big Woodleigh would be the ticket ( I guess, I've never hunted them!) if your rifle would stabilize them. If you don't like brakes, Mag Na Port is a really good option for that killer! I've used porting on many rifles, it really works and didn't seem to raise the noise level. Good luck to you.

Welcome, mgood. I'm pretty new here too. I've received good advice and dialogue from the helpful and knowledgeable people here.

The only experience I've got with 8mm is my 32 WinSpl, so, I can't comment on it, as the 32 is a whole different animal. However, I've owned several Rem 700 -- in varminters and big game guns, factory and custom-built.

I can attest to what was written above, as it pertains to free-floating your barrel. It has improved the accuracy of every 700 I've shot. Moreover, it assures that your point of impact remains constant regardless of your rest. I found that, with the factory "bump" in the fore-end, point of impact changed when fired off-hand, vs. slinged, or on a bipod, or off the bench. Free-floating eliminates all of that. Glass-bedding also trues up the stock/action fit, and keeps things consistent, especially when removing the stock, and reassembling.

I float the barrels forward of the chamber, starting at .008" and increasing the gap to about .018" at the fore-end tip.

3deers":1e1en5ct said:
I float the barrels forward of the chamber, starting at .008" and increasing the gap to about .018" at the fore-end tip.
Huh. I never measured exact clearance. I wrap a dollar bill around the barrel and see if it slides between it and the forend.

Boddington's 8 mag was a 700 rem with a 28" Pacnor barrel. His load was 80 gr H4831 220 Sierra and fed 215 match caps. Pretty much 1 hole and 3080 fps or so.

Yes, the Dollar Bill Slide is a quick way to check if a barrel is floated. But a bill is only .005". This does not provide enough clearance at the fore-end. It is possible, for example, to sling a rifle and cause enough torque on the fore-end to cause barrel contact with the channel if the clearance was only .005". Also, barrel vibration can be more than .005" at the fore-end tip. I can't say that i have an exact formula for clearance. It would depend on alot of factors. For Rem 700's with regular contoured barrels, about .018 at the fore-end tip has always worked for me for medium calibers with both 22" and 24" barrels.

I actually always used a dollar bill doubled over for my bedding. Works okay for me.

Good info though. Never measured it, just knew it works.

...a dollar bill is too thin, a credit card is too thick, but a shim cut from a plastic water bottle (or a 20oz. soda bottle) is 'just right'...

DrMike":l5yb7feq said:
. . . I opted for the 325 WSM. I'm launching 200 grain Partitions from that cartridge, for the most part. However, I have good loads that utilize 220 grain Sierras and other loads using 200 grain and 220 grain A-Frames. All work well. In my Model 70, I'm able to load these long enough to avoid seating the bullets into the powder column.
What is your COAL?
I'm still thinking of an eventual 325 WSM loaded long. The Defiance XM-length action allows for up to 3.20". I think somewhere around 3.06" with a 200 gr AB would get more of the potential out of that WSM case if I'm not confined to the SAAMI length.

Using a .308 insert, the comparator measure 2.417 or 2.427 inches to the ogive with 220 grain A-Frames (multiple loads with different powders--all sub-MOA), 2.384 inches to the ogive with 220 grain Sierra Game Kings, 2.372 inches to the ogive with the 200 grain AccuBonds and 2.381 inches to the ogive with the 200 grain Partition.

DrMike":1dsy2ioo said:
Using a .308 insert, the comparator measure 2.417 or 2.427 inches to the ogive with 220 grain A-Frames (multiple loads with different powders--all sub-MOA), 2.384 inches to the ogive with 220 grain Sierra Game Kings, 2.372 inches to the ogive with the 200 grain AccuBonds and 2.381 inches to the ogive with the 200 grain Partition.
I mean the overall length from the base of the cartridge to the tip of the bullet. I don't have a way to measure ogive.
SAAMI maximum length is 2.860"
I'm thinking of loading them at 3.0-something"

The Winchester M70 WSMs allow you to get out to about 3.1 in the mag box, or at least mine do.

Mgood, I've never measured any of my loads OAL, relying solely on measuring to the lands. I'll see about pulling some of my ammo out this week and giving it a quick measure to see if that will help. Because I'm shooting in a Model 70, I do tend to take advantage of the longish magazine, however.

That's cool. I think a Rem 700 short action with a Wyatt's box will let you get out to about 2.99". I wasn't aware that a Win 70 could go longer than that.

mgood":rx5czclv said:
That's cool. I think a Rem 700 short action with a Wyatt's box will let you get out to about 2.99". I wasn't aware that a Win 70 could go longer than that.

Yeah, they let you stretch it out a decent ways.

I think the 325 WSM can run very close to the 8mm Rem Mag with 160-180 gr bullets. But if I wanted to run that weight, I'd do it with a 300 and have better BC and SD. For the .323" bullets to show any advantage over .308" bullets, you need heavier (longer) bullets so you're comparing projectiles with similar BC and SD. I was afraid that the 325 WSM, compared to a longer magnum, would be at a serious disadvantage with 200+ gr bullets because so much of the bullet is down in the case occupying space that could otherwise be filled with powder. Loading it out longer eliminates that problem, but I don't want a single-shot. Loading it to 3.04-3.09" should wake it up with 220 grainers. Now if there was just more selection of 220+ gr 8mm bullets . . . Hello? Nosler?

I'm new to all this, so someone tell me if my reasoning is off.

So I know of at least one custom action builder who makes a slightly-longer-than-short action. I may have to take a closer look at the Winchesters too. If the Winnie can feed a 3.1" cartridge, it may be all I need.

...I'm loading the Sierra 220gr. SBT's @2.900, which puts the top of the boat tail even w/ the bottom of the case neck, over 63grs. of RL-17 @2800fps., seating them any farther out would mean the rear of the case neck is unsupported, going to be about the same w/ most of the heavy 8mm bullets, seating should be 2.850-2.960" w/ a minimal loss of case cap., & 200yd. accuracy seems to be alright...

This is about what I had in mind. It's a 200 gr AccuBond next to a 325 WSM (measuring about 2.82"). With the angle where the boat tail starts on the bullet about even with the neck to shoulder angle of the case, I get it out around 3.06".

IMG_0896a_zps1g7tstir.jpg

I'm new at this, so tell me if that's a good or bad seating depth. From what I understand, I've got as much of the . . . bearing surface (is that the term?) as I can get in contact with the case neck. It seems ideal to me, if I'm not limited to 2.860" SAAMI spec, or 2.99" or whatever number. If I have an action that will feed a cartridge of this length, it seems like the way to go. I've been doing a lot of reading but have practically no reloading experience, so don't think you're going to hurt my feelings telling me it's a stupid idea.

A lot of reloading is try it and see what happens. What may work well for one rifle may not in another.
It might work for you and it might not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back