9.3x62 Mauser

FOTIS":1h14chl0 said:
HAWKEYESATX":1h14chl0 said:
I know, I know….

Maybe my logic is skewed, but I want the .35 Whelen for here in the U.S.
I want the 9.3x62 for that once in a lifetime trip that I hopefully make to Africa.
I would of course book a trip where the 9.3x62 is legal to hunt water buffalos.
I know they’re pretty much ballistic twins, but so what?!?
With the 9.3x62, I can shoot heavier bullets than the Whelen.

Hawk

Skewed logic in the forum full of enablers??? Do I have to remind you that some of us use a 416 weatherby to kill antelope in Wyoming? You live in Texas I would be shooting hogs with a 460 weatherby just to spite them
Yeah! That 460 Bee will shoot and gut an animal instantly! LOL

I would love to get ahold a 416 Rem Mag at some point too. I’ve read good things about them, too.

But I will be completely happy with the 35 Whelen and 9.3x62 to start with.

Hawk

I would definitely use a 9.3x62 to knock a hogs dick in the dirt!

From what I understand, that 286 gr bullet will barrel roll them without so much as a squeal.

Hawk

Throw practicality to the wind and do a 411/9.3x62.
80d1bfc8d9f92b0a8de10f98b7f35a0a.jpg

33ec92f02df67b7f480e6d959f71d476.jpg

358 Winchester, 9.3x62, 411/9.3x62 with swift aframe 250, 300, and 350gr bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty danged cool stuff right there! That big 411 looks like serious stuff in the moose bush!

Personally I would get the 35 whelen. Then look at a donor and build a 416 Taylor. Checks all the boxes.

FOTIS":18kkhbud said:
Personally I would get the 35 whelen. Then look at a donor and build a 416 Taylor. Checks all the boxes.
Hmmmm! You might have something there!

Hawk

Blkram":qlxljk1l said:
While you can get higher velocities with the various bullets in the 9.3x62, the question comes down to whether or not you need the velocity, and are happy with mid-range performance at a recoil level that remains fun to shoot?

While I am not hunting cape buffalo here in northern Canada, the moose, elk and bison that I will be hunting are not going to to know that they weren't hammered with a 300gr bullet at 2600 fps when they are harvested cleanly with a 250 gr AB at approx. 2550 fps and 3600 ft-lbs of energy, that is comfortable on the shoulder and can be placed accurately on target.

I guess it also why I opted for the 376 Steyr and a pushing the 260 gr AccuBond at 2632 fps and 4000 ft-lbs of energy out of my 21" barreled rifle. The rifle is a pussycat to shoot off the bench and has cleanly harvested elk and bison, and will produce groups just a hair over 1/2" at 100 yards.

And why I am only pushing the 350gr bullet out of my 416 Taylor at approx. 2400 fps right now.

Yes, I know that I can push these faster, and also use heavier bullets, but right now, I do not need either, and they are fun to shoot and performing admirably on large game. And as I get older, my shoulder appreciates less pounding.
Sorry, didn’t mean to pass by your post.

You certainly have some heavy hitters there! Wow!

But, you do have a valid point with stepping down the loads a little to make them easier on the shoulder, and still be extremely lethal on big game.
Thank you for your input!

Hawk

Boils down to: what game do you hunt at what distance?
The 9,3x62 was developed for bigger game here in Germany (that is red stag at the upper end, which is smaller than your elk), and African game at moderate ranges.
Where I hunt, game rarely tops 200 lbs field dressed, 300y is max most of the time, since our game rarely comes out before dusk/after dawn. Too densely populated with dog walkers, riders, bikers, ... out around the clock.
Do I need such a gun?
No.
Would it be fun?
YES!

On your side of the pond, it makes more sense, depending on where and what you hunt.
In bear-country, definitely.

Open ground/long shots for pronghorn?
Not that much

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Well….

Here, the only public land to hunt that’s anywhere close, is the Sam Houston National Forest.
So, I believe the 9.3x62 would be right at home in the wooded area of the SHNF.

Hawk

I ordered my 35 Whelen stainless steel 24 inch barrel, magnum contour, 1 in 14 inch twist to change the barrel out of my Savage 111.
I also bought a rear action wrench to help in the process.

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are fun. H414 3/8” bugholes with 250AB and it puts the hammer down on elk. Just remember don’t stop shooting until they are dead. That rifle is a JES rebore M70 Stainless Classic and is very light. Like 7.5 lbs if I remember right. It’s just a gentle shove.

noslerpartition":1awleqxp said:
I don't need a 9,3x62, I don't need a 9,3x62, I don't need a 9,3x62, I don't need a 9,3x62, I don't need a 9,3x62. Feeling like Bart Simpson in front of the chalk board.
Guys!
I was happy with what I've got.
Now I have a voice in my ear whispering
"When replacing that 30-06 barrel - think about 9,3x62"
Thought about the German 7,62x57.
But...
Well. I have about a thousand shots to make up my mind.

Have you given in to your inner voice yet?

You definitely need a 9,3x62 sir!!!
The 9,3x62 is calling noslerpartition!!
Buy me noslerpartition! 9,3x62! 9,3x62! 9,3x62!
You won’t regret it! 9,3x62!!
[emoji23]

Hawk

Not yet. I have just moved and have to see if there is any money left after renovation s...

noslerpartition":3mvtcdye said:
Not yet. I have just moved and have to see if there is any money left after renovation s...

Awww! Shucks!

I’m thinking you’ll get one when you can, after all the expenses are taken care of, I’m sure.
I feel you there. Been there many times myself.

Hawk

Thanks for the sympathy!
The house is way too big for us - but around Hamburg (Germany) the prices got rediculous and the seller did not seem to know what he had, so we took it.
More than 10.000 square feet plus cellar and every floor and wall cover will be replaced. Plus new kitchen and heating.
Hunting will be down to a minimum anyway, so 30-06 and 6,5 Creedmoor will have to do for some time...

Back