9 yo son's first deer rifle... 257 Rob on '98

efw

Handloader
Jan 17, 2011
Michigan FINALLY revised their minimum hunting age rules, and my 9 yo son, having taken hunter's safety 2 yrs ago & having handled firearms safely for several years, is excited to be eligible. With his 10th birthday coming I picked up a Turkish '98 in the classifieds & a 257 Roberts barrel in the campfire classifieds.

I had the tube trimmed to 22" with recessed crown and chambered to 257 Rob, with a right handed beuhler safety, and timney featherweight trigger. I dropped it all into a tupperware stock I had lying around which was cut short with a "condom style" recoil pad duct taped on. An el paso K3 with standard crosshair I picked up here from dakotadeer was mounted in vertically split weaver rings to keep things simple.

On Friday I took it to the range and zeroed it w/ Win 117 gr RN factory ammo and it printed approx 1.25-1.5" 3-shot groups at 100 yds. Saturday morning we took it & a trunk load of water-filled recyclables to the local public shooting area to see how he likes his birthday present:

P1440710.jpg

P1440709.jpg

P1440708.jpg

I'd put together a cobbled .243 Win on a 110 action that he'd not cared too much for shooting due to blast so I was unsure about the Bob, but he LOVED it, taking out multiple targets further than average deer shooting ranges.

We'll be loading 117 RN Interlocks & RL15 for deer loads and 87 gr TNTs w/ the same powder for chucks, yotes, recyclables, and steel. Right now the name of the game is practice...

The youth hunt is 09/22 & 23 so the plan is to get a recoil pad properly installed afterward. We'll also have it finished; most likely parkerized. When he is full grown I'll let him decide whether he'd like a synthetic or wood aftermarket stock. We'll likely have a Chapman/Wisner shroud safety installed within a couple of years also as they're easier to use than the Buehler. A glass upgrade will come whenever he prefers.

I'll be sure to post up pics of our deer hunt in about a month. We're extraordinarily excited!!!

That is sweet! The old Bob is a way better starter rifle than any 243. They shoot and have better bullets and way less muzzle blast especially the powderpuff factory rounds.

That's great! I like the low-power scope too. That's a great way (IMHO) to start out a new hunter. I was actually at the range myself, this morning, with my M98 in .257. I wish the both of you great success with that rifle come hunting season!

Very cool. Nice work on your part, and best of luck to the young man this season!

nvbroncrider":19yqv0dw said:
The old Bob is a way better starter rifle than any 243.

After playing w/ that Savage 110 in .243 Win I joked that I would feel like a child abuser letting him take his first deer with it... I love Savages as a "slummin" rifle but the .243 Win, like the .270 Win, was always one I shunned.

With this rifle he takes HIS first deer with HIS first deer rifle rather than a loaner from me, and it can be ONE rifle for taking EVERYTHING in NA, save the big bears... gotta leave a reason for a new rifle SOMEWHERE :) !!

Thanks for looking and for the comments y'all. We're really excited.

That is great! We're all pulling for your lad this fall. We'll be looking forward to pictures of his deer. He certainly has the tools for the job.

Eric,

That is just awesome!

BTW, The good Doc and I are on for Thursday. Join us if you can and bring the new Bob.

JD338

Good luck to you and your son this fall, looking forward to seeing how he does. IIRC the factory 117 gr RN's are loaded very mildly which could definitely be a reason it is milder than the 243.

You're a good dad.

My first deer "rifle" was a 20ga Sears single shot that threw Rem slugs about 1' low at 50 yards. That only lasted one year. I managed to kill 2 deer but threw a lot of lead to do it.

Second deer rifle was a borrowed Ruger .44 carbine with a scope that would randomly change POI after several rounds. Managed to Kill a deer one-shot and missed the biggest buck anyone had seen in the party in years. A few shots on paper revealed that the scope had shifted POI and was hitting 2' high right at 75 yards. Last year with that rig.

Dad said these setbacks built character. I'm not so sure they didn't build frustration more than anything. Started to turn me into a spray and pray hunter and I was eagerly eyeing up SKS and Remington autos at local gunshops. Worked a long time the next summer painting hockey rinks in godawful heat and saved up enough money to buy a well used Rem 788 308 win at a gunshow (I was a big kid so .308 win wasn't a bad option. Kicked less than that darn single shot 20ga with slugs). Never looked back. Had that rifle for 20 years gradually upgrading optics and stock. Put down a lot of deer. If only that had been my first rifle.

Very nice rifle for your boy Eric!

By the way, thanks for the cigars buddy..

Even w/ the 3x scope, I was able to get 1.5-2" groups running RL15 under both 117 RN Interlocks & 87 gr TNTs... The latter, approx MOA! Goin out blasting again Monday morning... Youth hunt is < 1 month away!

Proud of you :wink: this is a part of being a Dad that so many men are missing. Then people wonder about our young people. You put in the time now so that you don't have to later :)
Look forward to the stories and photographs 8)

Blessings,
Dan

efw":qhiux1k7 said:
Even w/ the 3x scope, I was able to get 1.5-2" groups running RL15 under both 117 RN Interlocks & 87 gr TNTs... The latter, approx MOA! Goin out blasting again Monday morning... Youth hunt is < 1 month away!

Nice shooting Eric. I am pulling for your boy and you to get on some deer with it. That 117 RN Interlock sounds pretty magical.. Might need to put a couple into jugs for our bullet test section?

e413059e211cc66873cc7ed2d260545f.jpg

117s

d5a3ea2b6a5881cc54d1e9592ca584ae.jpg

87s

Both are charged by a VERY mild charge of RL15... I will definitely see what kind of shroom I can catch & make a report. I suspect that at such low speeds it'll be a thing of beauty!

Thanks for the encouragement gents! I'll have more pics of him shootin it as we're practicing some more on Monday morn!

Back