95 gr. NBT & Savage 12

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
Well I found out that my extreme velocities that I got earlier (3278 fps) were because I had the bullet seated .040" INTO the lands. :shock: Thats what I get for assuming that the 95 NBT would be pretty close to the same as the 105 A-max. Turns out that 2.710 is at the lands with the 95 NBT in my gun. So I loaded some three rounds up with 45.5 gr 7828ssc, 46 gr, and 46.5 gr. I didn't quite make it to POPs 47 grain load cause I was worried about being to hot. At 46.5 gr. I got no signs of being to hot, and this great group! I think I an do just a bit better, as I had a 10-15 MPH wind coming at me from about two thirt, three O'clock. I have the last of my 95 NBT loaded up with this load and hope to get some good weather this weekend to shoot them over the chrony! The 40-60 MPH winds that we have had the last day and a half are just plain crappy to do anything in, let alone test loads.

P4080282.jpg

P4080278.jpg

I'm thinking that my gun is not going to shoot the 105s. The 55 gr. NBT shoots under half inch with four different powders. These 95 gr. NBT shot like this with the first powder out of the gate once I got my head out of my butt and started paing attention. So I'm thinking for my 1K round I'm going to try some 95 gr VLDs. I have been smacking the poop out of the 12" 600 yard gong with the 55 gr. NBTs. I can't wait to shoot it at 1K.

I love this gun!

jmad_81

Nicely done, congratulations on a nice shooting load.
You need to test a few of those 95 gr BT's on some song dogs. :lol:

JD338

Wow, that is great shooting. I may have to revisit 7828SSC with my boys 243, it shot well, but your groups give me some more hope. Any idea on what kind of speed your getting out of those? Great shooting. Scotty

I think I'm getting between 3100-3150. I'll get some over the chrony this weekend. POP was telling me that with 47 gr. 7828ssc he was getting around 3150.

My gun seems to be a bit faster with the 55 NBTs though. Remingtonman used the same load (47.5 H380, 2.645", 55 NBT, 210) for a while and was getting 3750-3800. With the same load I'm getting 3960. I did have a 4" barrel advantage over Remingtonmans stevens 243. I don't know how long the barrel pop was using was. I'll know more info this weekend and get back to ya.

That 95 gr Ballistic Tip is The Most Accurate bullet I've ever shot from my 6mm Remington.

Now, I haven't tried 'em all, but it beat a lot of different hunting bullets to earn that honor. Works real well on mule deer too... :grin:

Guy thats the plan. Going to have my wife whack her doe with them this year. If she gets enough time behid the trigger we'll see how they do at 500-600 yards on a corn fed Mulie doe.

Well back to the drawing board I guess. The chrony said 3335 average over a five shot average, and it shot crappy with preassure sings. Brought the last loaded round home and took it apart. Same lenght, same powder charge. So I'm going to have to find another box of 95 BTs. I'll try these with RL-22 and 4350 and see what happens.

On a lighter note I busted two song dogs with some 55 gr. NBTs this morning. One standing at 250, and another sprinting up a hill at 200. Both were bang flops!

Dang, I hate when that happens. I am still in search of a good load for the 100gr Partitions in my boys 243. It has a 20" barrel, so I don't expect super speeds. So far accuracy and speed have been elusive! Back to the drawing board! Scotty

beretzs. I'm shooting 44.0 grains of imr 7828 in my daughters m700 youth. It has a 20" barrel and I'm getting 2800 out of the 95 bt in it. She shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards and 1.5" at 250 yards and she's 13. I can cut ragged holes with it. Imr 7828 really shoots and It's downloaded for her. The 95 bt really shoots. Make sure that the barrel is not fouled and you should see positive results. :grin: :grin:

Thanks GB, this is what I was getting out of the same M700 youth 243. It seems to shoot well, I was just wondering how others experience with the bullet were with the shorter barrel and such a slow powder. I think this is decent enough for him.

DSC_0006.jpg

I would like to get a similar load to shoot well using the 100gr Partitions. I will get him back out to shooting and see what we come up with! Scotty

Nothing wrong with that group. Don't be scared of the slow powder and the short barrel. They work great together. The 243 is a high pressure round and a 20" barrel seems to be just about perfect. :grin: :grin:

I guess I will try a little more with the Partitions. I guess those little BT's would be about perfect for him for deer though. I gotta get them out at 200 and 300 and see how they shoot. Scotty

The little 95bt will do the deed on deer. My daughter bang-flopped 3 deer in the last 2 years with it. All shots were from 99 to 153 yards. The 95's work perfect as they are never outside of their performance range with these youth rifles. :grin: :grin:

Thats true, shouldn't have to worry too much about them. I can't wait to get back out to the range with them, just to verify and get my boy shooting a little further out. Scotty

Back