A 300 Problem

elkslayer308

Beginner
Mar 27, 2006
I have a Winchester Model 70 Classic stainless in 300 Win Mag. The barrel has been aftermarket chopped and recrowned to 23.5" and it has a factory synthetic stock. The mounts and rings are leupold as is the scope. It usually shoots the 180gr. Partitions at about 2960 fps very well. My pet load is 69grs of IMR-4350 on top of a Fed 215 primer (68 in an F-C case but 69 in R-P or W-W cases). Lately though I bought some of the 180 gr PPT bullets and it not only doesnt shoot them as well but it seems like I could zero it any day of the week and then have to rezero it the next day. I've sent my scope back into Leupold to have them check it out but could it be something else? Maybe I need a new stock?

The protected points in order to be 180 grains have to do it without the lead tip. That changes the shape of the bullet. You may have to change seating depth to compensate. Just a thought.
Greg

Kind of went through the same issues with my 300 Win mag.

Check the base and ring screws. My base screws were loose and caused me all kind of issues. Also seating depth of the bullet can also cause some accuracy issues. I also sent my scope into Leupold. Had some travel issues that needed to be addressed. As someone stated the action screws could be loose as well.

Ron

Well the bedding is the good old Synthetic factory style stock and all is good and tight both with it and with the screws. I hope my barrel isnt shot out! I've only had it for a couple of years. I'm not the first owner though.

I'm going back to basics here. Check the crown for nicks or burrs. Check the scope rings and mounts to be sure they're tight. Check your action screws (though it sounds like they could potentially be overtight?). Go to the range and attempt to "shoot the box" as a scope test. Or, if you have another scope you could swap out for (a known good scope), you can test it that way. I'd try tightening everything first (and use an in-lb torque wrench if you're not sure how tight to make things), and check the crown.

I doubt you've shot out the barrel. It would likely take a couple thousand or more rounds to do that. It could just be that your gun doesn't like the 180gr PP's. Try some of what worked before and see if it still works. If it does, then it's just the different bullet, and you should just not shoot those.

I had the same problem with my model 70 Stainless Synthetic in 300 Wby.
Shyt can the plastic stock and go with a Boyd's Laminate, then bed the action and free float the barrel. If that doesn't do it, bed the barrel full length too. Mine shoots great with the Boyds and everything bedded. Mine isn't the only one that way, a buddy has the exact same rifle and gave up on it!

Back