...a little doubt

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
Hi Gents,
I am trying to develop a good hunting load for my 6,5x57R break open single shot rifle.
I think I am to a good point, since I can regularly get a 5 shots within a 2,5-3" group @ 200 yds. (I am using a 6x scope with thick crosshair, which covers 0.7" @ 200 yds.)
Once in a while I have a flyer though, still reasonably on target, but worse than the other shots.
I have noticed one thing while reloading that tricks me.
While seating the bullets, I noticed at times that some requires a stronger push to go in.
I guess this is gonna have negative results on accuracy.... :?
Is there anything that can be done to solve?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers :wink:

Sounds like you may have inconsistent neck thickness on your brass, Bluejay. Unless you want to make the gun a target rifle, don't worry about the necks so much. For hunting, your loads will be plenty accurate.

Measure the OD of the neck on your loaded rounds. If it is neck thickness as dubyam expects, you have the option of turning the necks or sorting the brass by thickness. Also check the OD of any expander balls in your dies, polish the expander ball to a mirror finish for ease of use.Rick.

Check the length of your brass - if it varies in length some may need trimmed and could cause your hard to close problem.

Steve D. the Hp

If you are getting 2.5-3" groups @ 200 yds you are doing just fine. And with a 6X scope to boot, :shock: I need to start watching over YOUR shoulder. :grin:

At what stage in the seating process are you feeling resistance?
What type of bullet are you using?
Are you using identical brass?
What type and brand of dies are you using and are all of the cases the same length?
Your groups seem to be nice for a hunting gun especially with a retcile that covers almost 3/4". Maybe a new scope would solve the problem.

At what stage in the seating process are you feeling resistance? RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING
What type of bullet are you using? 100 grs. NOSLER B.T.
Are you using identical brass? YES - RWS
What type and brand of dies are you using FL RCBS and are all of the cases the same length? YES, I TRIMM AND DEBURR THEM @ THE SAME LENGTH
Your groups seem to be nice for a hunting gun especially with a retcile that covers almost 3/4". Maybe a new scope would solve the problem MAYBE. ALTHOUGH MY OLD FASHION STEEL TYPE SWAROVSKI NOVA IS VERY WELL SUITED FOR HUNTING PURPOSES, ESPECIALLY IN LOW LIGHT CONDITIONS, AND I REGRET TO CHANGE IT FOR ANOTHER.

Cheers
:wink:

Back