A little Sako Love

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
Finally received my new LH Sako 85 Finnlight II in 308 Win in the mail this week and dropped it off at the gunsmith today for rebarreling to the 338 Federal in a carbon fibre barrel. Took in my Optilok rings and bases too and ordered a second magazine for the rifle. Will get the bare metal on the new barrel, the rings and bases and the bottom of the new magazine cerakoted to match the metal finish that the rifle came in. Looking forward to the final product!
I will be getting a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42 w/ Firedot Duplex reticle and Alumina flip caps mounted on it.

I also dropped of my new to me, LH Sako AV Laminated in 338 Win Mag to have a LimbSaver recoil pad installed. As much as I like the original Sako red rubber eraser type recoil pad, it is very hard and will do little to save the shoulder! Hopefully they can remove it without damaging it. Would like to save it.

My wife asked me tonight how many Sako rifles I have now...she reminded me that she bought me one as a gift back in 2017! What a great wife!
Had to think about it for a few moments...up to 6 now! And all in left hand!
1- Custom LH Sako AV in 7MM STW w/ Fajen nutmeg laminated stock and MacLellan fluted stainless barrel - most accurate rifle I own! Have had it since 1998.
2- LH Sako 85 Hunter in 6.5x55 - the gift from my wife
3- LH Sako L691 FS in 30-06- still new unfired
4- LH Sako 85 Hunter in 9.3x62 - matching stablemate to my 6.5x55!
5- LH Sako 85 Finnlight II in 308 - mentioned above and about to be rebarreled to 338 Federal
6- LH Sako AV Laminated in 338 Win Mag

I just love how smooth these Sako actions are, and they just get better with time and use!
Have found all the Sako's I own or have owned, or shot, to be accurate to very accurate! Whether with factory ammunition or tailored hand loads.
Have always been impressed with their fit and finish. These rifles may not be as inexpensive as other makes, but I think they are well built. And in comparison to some custom firearms, provide a good value for the dollar.
Also love the wood in the stocks on these rifles. And as mentioned previously in other threads, I have always been a fan of laminated stocks, having several rifles outfitted with factory and aftermarket laminated stocks.
Looking forward to using the new Finnlight II and seeing how this new stock performs in the field. I do like the feel of the rubberized grip panels in this stock so far. Time will tell. In the end, if it isn't up to my expectations, I will either order a left hand Hunter stock in the proper action size for this rifle, or an aftermarket laminate stock.

Tell us about your Sako love!

I don't own a Sako rifle but the does not mean that I don't drool over them! They make a beautiful rifle that sure shoulders well and like you said the actions are amazing. I am so disappointed in you though. That 30-06 has never even been shot. That is just sacrilegious.

how can anyone claim to be a Sako rifle fan and not have a Finnwolf

It boggles my mind-----but---at my age, my mind is easily boggled (-;

Gil, you love that HD5 with the fire dot. You’ll be amazed how much faster you’ll be on shot placement on black bear ( and I’d imagine moose. I have the hd5 1.5-4(or 5)(30mm tube)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gotta love the Sako's. The first one is the hardest to buy, but after that they start come easy!
Sako 85 Synthetic Black(now midnight broze cerokote) in 30-06
Sako 85 Grey Wolf in 260, has both the orig laminate stock and finnlight synthetic
Sako L461 in 223.

6mm Remington":3dtjik4b said:
I don't own a Sako rifle but the does not mean that I don't drool over them! They make a beautiful rifle that sure shoulders well and like you said the actions are amazing. I am so disappointed in you though. That 30-06 has never even been shot. That is just sacrilegious.

Bought this rifle unfired a couple of years ago and just haven't had much time for hunting and shooting the past couple of years.
Have finally found a scope (S&B 1.5-6x42 with Heavy German 4A reticle) and the proper rings and extended bases that I wanted to set up on this rifle. Had the gunsmith alter the extended base just a bit to make the scope clearance made proper. Haven't been out again since this was done. (Currently on day 74 of working due to COVID-19 without a complete day off - have had a few part days to run errands and travel to Dawson Creek for groceries supplies or take rifles in for some work)

Now when I get a chance to get to the range again, I am going to sight this rifle in with Winchester 180 gr Power Point ammunition. This bullet should be just fine for a full stocked rifle in the dark timber for bears and moose!

Europe":lznboj6a said:

My apologies April!
Just haven't found one when I had the money to purchase one, and have found them when I didn't have the money! Have only ever seen two in 308 and one in 243. C'est la vie!
Have always liked them, and hope to someday have one!
Would love to find one in 358 Win or 244 Remington.

Europe":smpdnnna said:

Like this 308?

Touche Gil, well played (-;

Fotis has two. And you have none. thats not right. maybe he will recognize the injustice and send you one (-:

Blkram said:
Finally received my new LH Sako 85 Finnlight II in 308 Win in the mail this week and dropped it off at the gunsmith today for rebarreling to the 338 Federal in a carbon fibre barrel. Took in my Optilok rings and bases too and ordered a second magazine for the rifle. Will get the bare metal on the new barrel, the rings and bases and the bottom of the new magazine cerakoted to match the metal finish that the rifle came in. Looking forward to the final product!
I will be getting a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42 w/ Firedot Duplex reticle and Alumina flip caps mounted on it.

Well, I got the call that rifle is finished!

Stopped by gunsmith this evening to check it out. Not quite; but almost finished...
My Sako Optiloc rings and bases are a higher than I prefer, but with the cheekpiece raised, my eye does line up behind the scope properly off-hand, and were not cerakoted yet. They didn't have any lower 30mm rings in stock (found a set online this evening and am in process of buying them).
The bare metal on the Wilson carbon fibre barrel (light contour that matches factory barrel contour finished at 22") has been Cerakoted in Tungsten to match the Sako factory finish on the action and magazine bottom metal.
Once I receive the lower rings, the rings and bases will be Cerakoted to match. Spare magazine still has not arrived, but when it does, its' bottom metal will also be Cerakoted to match. Factory trigger has been adjusted to 3 lbs. Feels great; no creep or overtravel.
With the scope mounted and fitted with the Alumina scope caps, the rifle package weighs in at 8 lbs 3 oz. (The Sako Optiloc rings and bases weigh in at 8 oz alone). The balance of the rifle is awesome! The rifle definitely shoulders and feels less than 8+lbs.
Will forward couple of quick pics to DrMike to post for me shortly.
Since this weekend is the last couple of days of deer season, I am not worried about using it this year and can wait to have the project completed fully to my satisfaction before picking up. (and need to focus on Susan harvesting her first deer!)
Looking forward to shooting it!

Gil,
You definitely have a nice Sako collection. The new build sounds like it will be one heck of a hunting rig. Best of luck to your wife, I hope she fills her tag with a dandy buck.

Fotis,
I love that Sako Finnwolf! I forgot you had that and remember handling it. Beautiful rifle.

JD338

One of my old mentors had an L57 Forester in .308. He was a great hunter but somewhat gullible. The salesman told him it had special rifling that twisted more toward the muzzle, resulting in the bullet accelerating when it left the bore! My friend, confidence boosted, flattened everything he ever shot, and that was a bunch. EE2

This is Gil's rifle.

QXpRYFV.jpg

fUGtvwO.jpg

Looks as if it will work!

I'm sure Gil will be along to tell us more shortly.

Thanks for posting the pics Mike!
Sorry all, they are a little blurry...will get better pictures in the future when the rifle is out in the natural light.

Acquired some lower rings that will be shipped to me Monday.
I could shave approx. 5 oz if I were able to find a lighter ring/base set such as Talley for it...bringing the overall weight down below 8 lbs...but I do like the sense of security that the steel rings/bases offer.
And if were to lose 10 pounds, packing 5 extra ounces in the field wouldn't feel like such a burden! LOL

Liking that illuminated reticle in the scope so far...looking forward to using it in the field under less than perfect lighting conditions and/or in the dark timber for big, darker critters.

Can't say that this has been an inexpensive rifle project; it is now my most expensive rifle package. But it is turning out to be what I envisioned.
My wife just shakes her head, but is glad that I am happy with how it is turning out! (She is also happy as we have enough hay for the horses again, and I built a shop that we can store her 1970 Challenger in this fall!)

Looking forward to carrying it, shooting it, fine tuning a load with the 200 gr AB for it, and then hunting and harvesting game with it for years to come!
Will likely be spring before I get a chance to get it out and get the load development going with the way work is going right now.

Well, I finally was able to get over and pick up this rifle from the gunsmith yesterday, as it is all now complete!
Scope is bore sighted.
Will see how the weather is today; may make it out to the range to sight it in and test out some factory ammo types in it; Federal 180 gr AB, Federal 200 gr Uni-Cor, and Federal 210 gr PT. Looking forward to trying out this new Wilson carbon fibre barrel.
Forecast is for rain, so may just end up working the shop today. Finally got the electrical finished and can start building shelving and organizinng my tools in it.

Surprised my stepfather yesterday with a scope for that LH Tikka T3 in 338 Federal; a used, but immaculate Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 B&C scope and fitted scope caps. Got it mounted and bore sighted for him, so when we get a chance to get him out to the range, he can get it sighted in. Happy camper with his early Father's Day gift!

I have a SAKO 85 Finnlight in 30/06. Hands-down the most accurate factory rifle I have ever owned. I typically shoot 165 grain bullets for elk but this rifle will shoot 150 and 180s into sub-MOA with any bullet going down the barrel. The actions are like glass and they do become smoother the more you use them. SAKO has a fan base because they are dependable, accurate, and well built

That’s a real neat rifle Gil. Can’t wait to see what it does on paper.

Back