A new addition to the stable!

HTDUCK

Handloader
Apr 18, 2009
Ok looking at my screen name you might guess I like to hunt ducks?
I do.

I am also the VP of the Lone Star Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.
I have been a member of the committee for 6 years now.
Every year at our annual fundraiser we raffle off around 15-20 guns.
Never won a @!~#@!$ thing in 6 years.........

Until last Friday night! :mrgreen:

I won a Tikka T3 Lite in .223 with a Vortex Diamondback 2x7x35.
Get the little darling home and look her over, nice stick.
Sports a 22 inch 1 in 8 twist barrel.
I like it alot.
I have been looking for/at a .223 bolt rifle for some time now,just so I could affford to shoot more.

My only other .223 is a 1 in 9 DPMS AR that is without a doubt the most inaccurate rifle I own.

Anybody got any pet loads for a 1in 8 .223?

Thanks,
Howard

Howard,

Congratulations to you.

Post a picture and give us a range report.

JD338

Congrats HT! That is a truley great score with the 1-8 twist! Now you can chunk out some of those 77gr Nosler's that are always on sale! I'm with Jim, pictures would be excellent. Don't have much load data for the heavier weight bullets in the 223. I am sure someone will be along shortly. Scotty

Congratulations, Howard. Winning draws doesn't seem to be my strong suit. Glad this rifle went to you. By all means, give us a picture.

I used to have a rifle exactly like that and currenty own a T-3 Varmint in 223. You will find that virtually anything will shoot great. I personally have had great success with Sierra 52 or 53 gr Matchkings in anything and my Tikkas loved them. I didn't load them hot trying to get every bit of accuracy from them possible. They shot usually .50 MOA or better provided I didn't screw up.

A friend of mine using his rifle like yours shot groups using Sierra 77's at 300 yards and on one occasion got a group of about .75 at that range.

Even 55 FMJ cheap stuff shot respectably from mine. I think you'll be pleased.

Ron

My rifle is a 9 twist, but I shoot a 55 NBT over 25.5 gr VARGET in an FC case with Fed. Premium primers. It is fantastically accurate in my rifle. It is a legit .75 MOA load and .5 MOA (or less) groups are the norm.

As always, work up loads carefully in your rifle.

Happy days. Free is always good. Luck too. I have a .223 Tikka also with the bull barrel. It likes 24 grains of Varget behind a Nosler 69 grain Custom Comp. and CCI primers. Happy shooting.
Russ

I've heard (on another board) that brand 'H' 75 gr. A-Maxs shoot pretty well in a fast twist.

Back