Aay at the range

PJGunner

Handloader
Dec 11, 2010
Finally got a chance to get to the range to try out a few reloads and figure out which rifle will be back up to my .35 Whelen, or maybe primary and the Whelen be back up. Whatever. :roll:
I took 4 rifles, two 30-06s, a .270 and my .280 Rem. Loads were 55.0 gr. Re17/180 Partitions for both 06s, 150 gr. Partition for the .270 with WMR, same powder and the 150 gr. Partition for the .280.
I started with a group from the custom .280 and it showed promise. Set it aside and did a group with the fairly new to me Remington M700 Classic and is showed promise. Set it aside and while the .270 had been sighted in with the 150 gr. Sierra Game King 3" high at 100, the Partitions hit exactly 1/2 inch higher and dead center for windage. The last rifle, an FN mauser I've had for years, close to 40 as I recall that I restocked in a Butler Creek after breaking the nice custom stock that came on the gun it shot two groups. It's put two shots almost touching the put the third shot off somewhere else on the target. I'm thinking I flinched or just plain jerked the trigger or something so I tried another shot and damned if it didn't hit next to the flyer darn gun would print two shots nearly touching the put two more nearly touching somewhere else on the paper. :?: I think the scope has turned toes up. I hope Nikon is as good on their warrantee as Leupold has been for me?
I was really kind of hoping that FN would be the one. It was given to me by a friend who passed from cancer only 6 months after gifting me the rifle. :( That was roughly 40 years ago and it's been a lucky rifle for me on the hunts I used it. I'll put another scope on it and we'll see what happens. Got to load ammo today. :grin:
The .270 I used has been a surprise every time I've taken it to the range. First off, I mistook it for a Featherweight that someone had replaced the stock with a McMillan. Guy said it was accurate and sighted in. Price was just too good to pass up so it came home with me. I'd figured it'd turn over fast with a bit of profit but I always shoot a gun first. Don't want to say it's a tight grouper when it's shotgun patterns. Bought a couple of boxes of Winchester 150 gr. Power Points and hit the range. Not only was it sighted in but the group, 5 shots was .50". :shock: I shot three more 5 round groups and the largest was .80". I'm not the biggest fan of the .270 but that one is a keeper. My pet load is 57.5 gr. of WMR and the 150 gr. Sierra Game King. Those bullets must be extinct because my LGS hasn't had any in almost a year which is why I loaded up the partitions using the same charge. Groups were not quite as tight as with the Game Kings but were still right at .75 to .80". Did I say that rifle was a keeper? :lol: That load ought to put a smack down on an elk should I decide to use that rifle. Velocity should be around 2850 FPS, give or take. I couldn't set up my chronograph to get the velocity as the range was very crowded with mall ninjas and their Christmas AR15s. All dressed in tactical clothes, the whole 9 yards. Every time I tried to set up they'd raise hell so I said the hell with it and did my shooting. here were about 30 of these guys and I had the only sporting rifles at the range. The only other bolt acton was a Savage painted all camo, muzzle brake, tactical type stock and a scope big enough to watch men on Mars doing whatever men on Mars do for kicks. Considering the shortage of ammo :?: those guys sure burned off an awful lot of .223.
I haven't decided if I'll go to the range again today or wait till Jan 2. Probably sit down and load ammo.
Paul B.

You have a good choice and any of the rifles will do. When I go west for Elk, the Whelen is the primary and the 300 WinMag is backup. For deer, the 260 and the 30-06 or the WinMag as backup depending where I was. I am thinking of a 280 build, so that would replace the 300 as the 300 may go down the road then.
At the range, we get the same thing here. Several times I just packed up and left. They don’t shoot, they bang away and its get stupid. Good luck with your rifles

Paul, those 1960's FN actions are too good to waste. It needs to find life in something other than a Butler Creek stock? What caliber is this rifle? Give that rifle, life Paul, you have had it for 40+ years! :mrgreen:

OT3. That rifle is a J.C. Higgins M50 in 30-06. I have five of them. 8) Three are 30-06 with two having the stocks somewhat altered by previous owner, one total original and the last restocked and rebarreled to 7x57.
The rifle in question was given to me many years ago when I lived in Nevada by a good friend who passed away about 6 months after gifting me the rifle. I've taken more than a few deer with that one including the largest bodied Nevada Mule Deer I've ever killed.
I fell off a rather steep hillside, you could call it a cliff and the nice stock that was on the rifle broke at the wrist. The local gunsmith who I worked for part time said he couldn't fix it so I cobbled up and old commercial FN Mauser stock I had laying around and used it for a while. It shot OK and one day after moving down here from Nevada I picked up the Butler Creek on the cheap and after altering the insides a bit to make it fit I glass bedded the rifle into it. It felt pretty good and shot a bit better than when in the FN stock. I filled the butt with some expanding insulation foam and did the same with the forearm after masking everything off. That made the forearm a lot more rigid and accuracy improved a whole lot. Usually got MOA with factory ammo and my reloads ran about .75" average. I've thought long and hard about putting it into a nice stock but if it ain't broke, don't fix it sticks in my mind. :lol:
Paul B.
PS: Didn't make it to the range. It rained and about 10 PM it was spitting snow. Too bad it didn't stick. Just one very small patch left in the back yard at 0630 this AM. So much for the myth that Tucson it hot and sunny all year round. :lol:

Thanks Paul. I had one of those from Sears in .30/30 about the time that you bought yours. Mine was a shooter as well.

Back