Accubond/Ballistic tip ??'s

jezzolo

Handloader
Nov 14, 2005
OK I just looked at the thread with the bullets cut in half length wise.

What are the difference's between the AccuBond and the Ballistic tips? I see the funky little area where the jacket meets the core like 1/2 the way down toward the base. Is that it? Does it hold the jacket together more???

Are there other difference's?

I use the balistic tip out of a .280rem and a 7 RUM now on whitetail deer only. I dont have the bigger game here, elk, moose etc. Have bear but I dont hunt them.

Also, wounder how a boat tail Partition would shoot(if they made one that is)??? :?:

For my purpose's Do I NEED to change to a AccuBond? Thanx for help'n out. Joe

The BT would be fine - 6.5mm and above are "hunting," not "varmint."

There isn't much (or any) difference between the BT and the AccuBond - except one is "bonded." I presume that means the core is glued to the jacket, which aids in weight retention.

Jaywalker

Bonded means exactly that, the core is chemically "glued" to the jacket so it will not slip or separate. I prefer this to the NBT ofr any big game hunting.

I would not shoot the BT's out of any rifle that will push them even near to 3000fps. Infact, I would not push them over 2700 fps. I have seen enough in my own hunting results that, except for the 120 gn out of a 7m-08, they blow giant holes in antelope. I would definitely opt for the Accubonds.

Long

longwinters":w6137jjp said:
I would not shoot the BT's out of any rifle that will push them even near to 3000fps. Infact, I would not push them over 2700 fps. I have seen enough in my own hunting results that, except for the 120 gn out of a 7m-08, they blow giant holes in antelope. I would definitely opt for the Accubonds.

Long

Can't say I share your experience. I have shot deer and antelope with the 130 g. BT from a 270 Win. (which shoots faster than 3100 fps with the load I use). I have never "blown giant holes" in Coues Deer, Antelope or Mule Deer. A couple of the animals were shot within 40 yards, which should have been a "worst case scenario". By the way 130 g. BT's are the only bullet I have used in the .270 for the past 14 years, or so....I like they way they shoot and kill.

I am not trying to sway you, I just have different experience with the BT's that I have used.

People that have bad experiences tend to use the lighter BT's at higher speeds, then when they encounter a close shot, they blow all to hell. Then they blame the bullet for there own mistakes. First, you should always match the bullet to the caliber to the game. A little common sense goes a long ways. I have used BT's for deer and like the way they drop in there tracks. I have used the 115g out of a 25-06 @3200fps with awesome results out to 600 yards. I think the closest deer I shot with that bullet was 100 yards. I always aim for the shoulder to break it, anchor on the spot. I never found a 115g BT. If you think your going to encountera close shot, use a heavier BT. The extra weight will help, plus the lower MV will help as well. The Nosler BT is the best medium game bullet. I have tested and shot tons of other bullets, but when hunting season comes, you can bet my shells will be loaded with Noslers.

Again, guys, the Nosler website indicates the difference between .264" bullets and up are "hunting" jackets, and below that are "varmint," which would tend to be more explosive. Discussions of "the Nosler BT" don't mean much unless the caliber issue is clear. (Nosler could have made life easier by giving us a bonded bullet for hunting and left the BTs for varmint, regardless of caliber, but they didn't, and now we're stuck with a confusing jacket difference - I presume - within one bullet name. )

Jaywalker

clearwater, you're right. This from the Nosler website:
Ballistic Tips from 6mm thru 30 caliber are designed for medium size game (up to 400 lbs.) using an appropriate caliber. Ballistic Tips from 8mm thru 375 caliber are designed for large, soft skinned game such as elk and moose.
Either I misread it before, or they changed it.

Jaywalker

I went out and bought a box of .284 140gr AccuBond for $19.95 is that a fair price? Going to try it out on whitetail after I get a load for it. Should it shoot the same as Ballistic Tips?

jezzolo,

140 gr AB seconds can be bought through Shooters Pro Shop for $11.95 per bag of 50. The AB's "should" hit the same point of impact as the BT's but every gun is different so you might have to make some minor adjustments.
The AB is a tougher bullet that will withstand the higher impact velocities generated by your 7 RUM. It will work great for both your 280 Rem and
7 RUM.

Regards,

JD338

there appears to be quite alot of sentimental value placed on the performance of the BT bullet. before you sell your soul to the BT bullet, take a look at the FAQ section of the homepage, you'll find a topic on velocities for reliable expansion. it is recommended on this page by Nosler to not exceed 3000 fps with the BT. my own experience with this bullet (150/64 grns of 4831) and a 7mm REm Mag is two exit holes and one entrance at 250+ yards on a whitetail. From my experiences with this bullet, I'd stick to the AB or Partition, but i assure you that it would not be a BT in a hunting situation. it is an absolute tack driver, but not sturdy enough for my liking.

I haven't seen this. but, I load a 165g BT in 300WSM. That is moderate for caliber with a velocity of 3200+. Always had one exit hole of about a quarter size or so. About the same size as my 243 HP's I have used in the past.

Try a heavier BT

Back