Accubond Jam

Cazador

Beginner
Dec 6, 2005
I posted this on another forum but I thought you guys might be interested.

I was testing 140gr Accubonds in my 7mm STW at the range yesterday, and on cycling the action on the 4th round, the bolt would not go all the way down. I ejected the round in the chamber and the round I pulled out was missing the white tip. Sheared clean off. Looking into the action I found white tip in the lug recess area. The sheared tip was keeping the bolt from locking. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with Accubonds because if this is typical, I may as well go back to plain vanilla Partitions.

Thank you for any input.

Sounds like more of a feeding issue rather than the bullet itself.
What kind of rifle are you shooting?
Also, what is your COL?

JD338

The rifle is a 700 laminate s/s. This rifle has never had any feedind problems and the loaded rounds are kept .030" less than mag size just to make sure I dont have feeding problems. Since this is a hunting rifle I always cycle new loads through my rifle at the range to avoid unpleasant surprises in the field.

Cazador,

Good practice to cycle them. I do the same thing, but with a dummy round I keep for awhile (in case I've made mistakes on measurements, bullet types, etc).

I saw your post on another forum in which you were told Nosler's had some acknowledged problems with tips. Okay, could be true.

I'd wonder, however, how the bullet tip got sheered off in the first place in order to end up in the lug slot. That does sound like a feeding problem.

I've seen a couple of M70 Controlled Round Feed that were a bit wild at first, but they seemed to settle down after a few rounds. I can't say I've heard of this with Push Feeds like the M700, however. I'm sure you cycled many more rounds to see if you could duplicate it. What result?

Jaywalker

Cazador - thanks for the post. Interesting. Have shot about a zillion ballistic tip bullets through my rifles w/o problem, but haven't tried the accubonds yet.

I too like the idea of cycling my loads through the rifle before a hunt - just in case I messed up anything. Will watch for this when I start loading accubonds in my .300 RUM.

Regards, Guy

The question has already been asked, but here it is again: How did the tip get sheered off in the first place? A lead tipped bullet would probably not have had the same problem as it would have just smooshed all over itself, but would have been quite deformed. There must have been some lateral force trauma to the tip to get it to sheer off, not just the normal jarring from being fed from the mag to the chamber.

Back