ACCUBOND PROBLEMS

accubonds are great for whitetail. ofter tougher bullets wont mushroom quickly enough for quick kills. I use a 160 AccuBond in my 7mm rem mag for whitetail and antelope but for elk and other large game switch to a 210 gr Partition in my 340 wby. I have shot several elk in the shoulder with good results. It will crush the shoulder and still completely penetrate the elk. Also with no shoulder the elk dont go far from where they were shot. I would not try this with an AccuBond. I think what it comes down to is choosing the bullet based on what your game animal is and understand that no bullet is perfect. As for the 140 vs 160 7mm accubonds, they have nearly the same trajectory so use whichever shoots best in your rifle for deer they will both work great

It's interesting to see more proof of the .308 Caliber Accubonds failing on big game animals.

I've always used and enjoyed the effect of Partitions on game, but last season I tried the Accubonds and had complete failure with them. I will never use the Accubonds again on big game larger than Florida deer.

Let me give one example from last season.

I was hunting elk in Montana using the 180gr. Acubonds out of my .300 Win. Mag. On the third day, I shot a mature 6x6 from about 100 yards as he was crossing the end of a small cutover with a few raghorns and cows. The shot was quartering towards me and I decided to push the bullet through the front onside shoulder and have the bullet rake into at least one lung and hopefully go through the offside.

Instead, at the shot, the elk reacted to the AccuBond by bucking hard to the right and he entered the timber before I could get another shot in with my .300 Win. Mag. The other elk scaterred and created confusion with the tracking as the large bull did not begin to bleed until 25 yards later. To make a long story short, it wasn't until about 200 yards and three shots later that the 6x6 finally fell dead- I almost lost him.

When I conducted the autopsy, I discovered that my first shot had penetrated only about 6" of flesh and then broke the onside shoulder- completely breaking it, but did not penetrate further than a few more inches and did NOT make it to the vitals. I suspect that the AccuBond penetrated only about 10" total. I find that totally unacceptable and is the main reason why I do not use them any more.

With a Partition, TSX, Trophy bonded or other top quality bullet, I have made similar shots and had over 20-40" of penetration. Accubonds are, in my opinion, not much better than ballistic tips and even then, only designed for game like small deer and pronghorn- no much else.

Wow. So many results. I have personally taken 3 elk with the 200g AB out of the 300 RUM at 3200fps. 2 of them dropped on the spot, the other was dead after the shot, but did not drop, so I whacked him agian in the shoulder. In the first case, a 5x5 raghorn at 512 yards. 1st shot, hit behind the shoulder, elk was definately hit hard. Tryed going uphill, stopped, I shot #2 but missed, he swung back down to where he was standing, 3rd shot nailed him in the shoulder which dropped him in his tracks. Both bullets fully exited, leaving about 3" exits. Next elk was a spike at about 75 yards. Elk was running away from me, I put the bullet right in the back. The spike dropped and was dead. Exit hole was about 2-3". The 3rd spike was shot at about 200-250. 1st shot hit right behind the shoulder, as it was going over the ridge, I put one through its hams dropping, and killing the bull. The 1st shot exited leaving about a 3-4" exit, the 2nd shot exited as well. In my experiences, the 200g AB is a great bullet. Penetration seems to more then enough, even when going through shoulders, and they leave some nasty holes. A blindman could track them down.
I will say that it doens't really matter what bullet you use under 100 yards, in most cases, the velocity is just to high for anything but a barnes x bullet, or something that holds 90%+ weight retention. You cant expect a bullet that retains 60-70% to keep that weight retention under 100 yards, especialy when your hitting major bone. Thats asking to much. If your shots are gonna be close, use a lot tougher constructed bullet and you'll be much happier.

Although I have not killed any game with the AccuBond bullets, and regardless if they occasionally fail on marginally placed or very high velocity shots- I must say that I am impressed with Nosler's willingness to address the issue presented in this thread. Nosler, I salute you! :wink:

I Have so far shot two elk with 180gr. accubonds (300winmag. 3050fps). A large cow and a nice 6x6 bull . The 180 AB is just as impressive on game as on paper. I shot the bull in the chest then he turned away. The next shot broke the pelvis and I found it under the armpit. I recovered both bullets. They were 50% and 60% of original weight. Basically they looked like partitions i have recovered in the past only with a boattail. No complaints. I lucked out and drew another tag and hope to repeat this year.

So far I am very pleased with the performance which I experienced on game. :wink:

They recovered the bullets, and I don't think the game they recovered them from walked up to them and asked them to remove them. therefore, the AB did what the hunter purchased them for. They brought down game.

If the bullet is recovered, the bullet did its job.
A lot of bullet failure is operator error.

JD338

JD338":269epm7x said:
If the bullet is recovered, the bullet did its job.
A lot of bullet failure is operator error.

JD338

I agree completely.

My experience with the AB (be it not a real long one) has been 4 animals in as many shots and no recovered bullets. Of the 4 animals I have harvest with the AB - 1 Bull moose (100yards) and 1 Bull Elk (50 yards). As mentioned I never found a bullet so received complete penetration on substantially built game...I was tickled! I will be once again using 160AB/7mm rem mag for my elk hunt in just over a week and have no quams doing so.

I like the fact the AB performs reliably on deer sized game as well(in my experience). Here we can hunt whitetails while elk/moose and you never know what may rear its head. I have been less than impressed with other premium bullets in the past, where they zip right through the thin skinned game if no bone is involved. Being a rib shooter the AB appeals to my situation.

I have taken a good number of animals with the AccuBond in .257 R, .308 Win, .300 WM and .338 WM. Have also been involved in the taking of others with the .375. These animals range from the size of warthogs to eland.

I have yet to see anything that could be considered bullet failure.

Beyond that I have tested all of these bullets in various expansion medias and those bullets looked very much like the ones that were recoverd from animals.

Of course this does not mean a bad bullet or two did not get out of the factory but I trusted them enough to take them to New Zealand and will be taking them to Africa again in two weeks.

John Barness reported that his buddy killed a Cape Buffalo on a Safari with the 260 gr in a 375 HH Mag. :twisted:

While I have had great luck on Mule deer with 160gr Accubonds in my 7mm Ultra mag I really never considered them for game like Elk in the first place. My .338 Win Mag. stuffed with Partitions does everything an Elk rifle ought to do. Is an AccuBond supposed to be used for game Elk sized and larger?

YUP. Basically whatever you can use a PT on you can use an AB on.
My group of buddies have killed tons of elk with the AB's here in WY.

Thanks POP. I really hadn't considered that but will probably still stick with Partitions for the big stuff anyway. I will say I haven't seen any problems with Accubonds so far and they shoot great in every rifle I have fed them to.

By the way POP this will be the first time in about 16 years I won't be in Wyoming come October and I am already suffering withdrawals. Feel like Wyoming is my second home and when I retire it may become my first one.

jbdre":qotfa36b said:
My .338 Win Mag. stuffed with Partitions does everything an Elk rifle ought to do.

The 338 Win Mag with a 210 gr PT is a classic elk load. The 225 gr AB would also be excellent choice for elk. But when I am hunting the big, the bad, and the ugly, I am a PT guy.

JD338

I agree. The Partition often gives me two holes, one in and one out. This seems to kill more quickly than one hole and a bullet that "dumps" all its energy in the animal. In addition, if tracking is necessary two holes will usually leave a better blood trail than one. All this helps explain my abiding affection for the .338 Win Mag. and .375 H&H. Both catridges thump game with authority.

jbdre":29xs55i1 said:
By the way POP this will be the first time in about 16 years I won't be in Wyoming come October and I am already suffering withdrawals. Feel like Wyoming is my second home and when I retire it may become my first one.

If and when you do look me up! Can never have too many friends!

Back