Accubond vs Ballistic Tip

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
This is what Nosler had to say on Facebook today:

What's the difference between a Nosler AccuBond and Ballistic Tip? Externally, both look the same except for the tip colors. Ballistic Tip bullets are color-coded by caliber, while all AccuBond bullets have white tips. Internally the Ballistic Tip is NOT bonded and is designed for controlled expansion on medium game with approximately 50-60% weight retention. Conversely, the lead alloy core of the AccuBond IS bonded to the jacket— as seen in this photo of two recovered AccuBonds. This bonding increases weight retention (65-70%) and slows expansion resulting in deeper penetration and enhanced bone-breaking potential in larger animals.

I like 'em both!

Excellent hunting bullets. Accurate and deadly.

I started using Accubonds in 2006. I've had such stellar results, I've found little reason to experiment with different bullets and lots of reasons not to.

I sold people on Ballistic Tips for many years. Funnily enough, I've never used Ballistic Tips all that much. I have, however, used AccuBonds across a rather broad spectrum of calibres. Similarly, I've used Partitions for many, many years, and always with good success. Only within the past several years have I been using Ballistic Tips. I do see in my older inventory, however, several boxes of solid base bullets, mostly in .284 and .308 caliber.

I've tried both and I think the BT is a better suited bullet for the deer here in my part of NC. I've harvested countless whitetails here with the 150gr BT and the 30.06. I used the 110gr AccuBond in my 25.06 for one season when they first came out and took 2 deer that year and they too did what they were designed to do ..... they killed. I think I like the BT better especially for deer around here. Im hoping to start some load development with the 115gr for my 25.06 and the 120gr for my daughters 260 in the near future. I just need some time and good weather.

I do love Nosler bullets and have always had excellent results using them. It shows because every time i look in my reloading cabinet the Nosler boxes far outnumber everything else. :)

I have been using BT's since they came out around 1985. I have killed countless white tails with them and even a few large African animals. I have been completely satisfied with them for white tail hunting. Currently loading about 9 different calibers with them and all shoot very well. If a rifle won't shoot BT's, you have a problem with the rifle! Just started using AB's but only in 7mm Wea Mag. So far so good but only 2-3 kills with them so have a limited sampling, but I have no doubt they will perform well.

I've never used the ballistic tip bullets. I went from Sierra game kings to Nosler partitions when I got a 300 wby rifle. I was a little put off by the exit hole damage of the partitions so I tried the AccuBond in everything I had when they came out and after 10 elk and a lot of deer with 3100-3500 fps. rifles of various calibers I have never had a failure of any kind with them. I haven't shot anything with the AccuBond long range yet but my 7 RUM and 280 AI are loaded with them and it's just a matter of time.

There ya go! Another voice of experience!

Congrats on a lot of successful hunts with Nosler bullets.

Guy

the tips are my go to bullet for testing out a new rifle. w/ the right powder for the cartridge, they always shoot great.

Back