Accubond vs.partition

K-Pa

Beginner
Aug 17, 2020
A question about these two.
For a given weight: say 200gn.(because I know the numbers)
Is there a significant difference in bearing surface between the two?
Clearly there is a structural difference. (The Partition will be stiffer like a ladder frame)

Why does load data indicate (for the same powder) that the Partition range is two grains more (top and bottom) than the AccuBond?

Thanks

K-Pa":ok8stvye said:
A question about these two.
For a given weight: say 200gn.(because I know the numbers)
Is there a significant difference in bearing surface between the two?
Clearly there is a structural difference. (The Partition will be stiffer like a ladder frame)

Why does load data indicate (for the same powder) that the Partition range is two grains more (top and bottom) than the AccuBond?

Thanks

Possibly due to bearing surface, different bullets have different bearing surface that will cause more pressure than others with less bearing surface.

Based on Hodgdon site output.
Nosler 200gn loads sheet has them together (no differentiation in loads)
I took a quick look at cutaway on the nobler site. Both have tapered jackets.
I would think the H-configuration would make the Partition less compressible, but I didn't realize it had an open base. Maybe the open base has a pressure balancing effect? Slowing it to be used at higher pressures?

I will look at bearing surface data if nosler posts it.

So The SD=0.301 for both
The AB is 0.14" longer OAL with a boat tail.
They don't specify the length of the bearing surface.

Maybe is is a philosophical difference between the way the powder company determines load and the way the Projectile manufacturer does...

Jacket material makes a difference too, but you would think both of those are the same.

I believe both have a tapered copper alloy jacket and the AB says alloyed lead core.
Partition just says dual core.

FOTIS":3kpfvwat said:
And jacket thickness construction etc.

Yes.
Core hardness and weight also have a significant impact on pressure. There's a nice article on this topic in the book titled "Handloading," by William C. Davis, Jr., published by NRA in 1981.

In my experience using both on game the Partition has a soft lead and the AccuBond has a much harder lead that is bonded to the jacket. I reached pressure with the AccuBond well before the Partition but the velocity runs about the same with the lighter load on the AccuBond as with more powder for the Partition. Also I reach pressure using the Partition well before conventional cup and core bullets like Sierra probably because of the H jacket construction. I have also noticed that with the other bonded bullet that I have used, Speer Gold Dot .264 120 gr, I reach pressure quicker than with regular cup and core bullets of same weight. So I would say it is the harder lead and the effect of the bonding making the bullet harder to compress in the bore.

I have not had good luck in my experience reloading with Nosler Partitions; in almost every case I have had the front core separate from the jacket inside the game. After that poor performance I switched to ballistic tips which were devastating on game.

Recently, in the past 2-3 years I've been using Nosler Accubonds which seem to be doing well.

Just my experience ....

jjs405":1ibog5l1 said:
I have not had good luck in my experience reloading with Nosler Partitions; in almost every case I have had the front core separate from the jacket inside the game. After that poor performance I switched to ballistic tips which were devastating on game.

Recently, in the past 2-3 years I've been using Nosler Accubonds which seem to be doing well.

Just my experience ....

That's exactly how John Nosler designed the Partition. He made the front section soft to expand rapidly and cause tissue damage and the rear core to stay intact to drive deep and hopefully get an exit.

jjs405":1pr28wrj said:

Just my experience ....

That’s exactly what the Partition is supposed to do, you never have to worry about not getting expansion with the front section and you will always get deep penetration from the back part.

bboswell":5w6p1p7x said:
jjs405":5w6p1p7x said:

Just my experience ....

That’s exactly what the Partition is supposed to do, you never have to worry about not getting expansion with the front section and you will always get deep penetration from the back part.

Yeah, they are pretty well designed. I kinda used to complain about the front end going to bits but I haven’t seen much where it truly hurts game taking ability.

Back