Accumark .300 Bee ?'s continue..first in a series

elkeater2

Handloader
Jan 5, 2009
Question #1: Recommended scope mounts for Weatherby Accumark?
Well, we thought we had it, but not consistent grouping yet.

Inspected the mount system closely. It is Leupold STD 2 piece w/the windage adjustments.
-front base, front screw was too long and hitting barrel threads.
-the rear ring was not sitting flush flat on the base, because the windage screws had moved metal on the base from under the screw edge. Don't think I did that ( :mrgreen: maybe). Wanting to blame it on recoil. Flattened the surface and very carefully re-assembled. The rear ring must be loose to get correct fore/aft, and flat on the base as well. While I'm checking this out, my LED light shows me that the base is riding on the edges both sides, with daylight around the screws! So I dressed that down to a flush fit. Should be better, because the rear ring was contacting the base by just a hair when swinging it on the front dovetail. No more. Torqued it all carefully with inch pound wrench. First three shots go into a horizontal string each hole 3/4" apart. Good grief. Am looking at Talley, Leupy dual dovetails, Near Mfg. mounts. Any recommendations?

I never had problems with any leupold mounting system. You may try the the talley lightweight rings. I love those things

I use Talley bases and TPS rings.

Win70Rings.jpg

They do not have the rear windage screw which Weatherby magnums (i.e. my .340 Bee) can and will turn loose and play bad tricks with your rifle's zero. TP are very strong and the crossbolts torgue to 50 inch lbs easily which will not come loose.

I have the same issue with the Leupold mounts. I'm strongly considering switching all mine over to the Talley lightweight one piece mounts. I have those on another rifle and they're very strong without being overweight.

FOTIS":3m6npobq said:
I never had problems with any leupold mounting system. You may try the the talley lightweight rings. I love those things

Well now, if you want to break that string, I've got some STD 2 piece bases to give you, windage ring included!! :roll:

Found and went with the Leupy 2 base dual dovetail system. Had to buy ANOTHER set of STD rings in order to get ONE 30mm at the right height and finish. :twisted: That's why the freebie ring is available!
I mentioned that the front base screw that had been installed was too long. Even though the rear screw was tight, there was an obvious ring mark on the scope from the bottom ring. Not pretty, and probably not conducive to accuracy either.

Dubyam, I knew I had read somewhere that you were done with the windage adjustable setup. I have joined the club. I've got an old Redfield Jr. one piece on my Mauser, it's been fine for way too long to retire.

I'll report, and submit Question #2 soon. There's more to go for sure!
EE2

Either use the Talley ring and mount or as in my case with my 300 Bee Accumark, I use the two piece 20 MOA Ken Farrel mount and a pair of Leupold MK IV rings.

Picture002-3-1.jpg

Ken Farrel and TPS are very closely copies of one another (Farrel first of course). TPS is local in Bend, Oregon and holds together my .340 like glue!

Oldtrader3":2y7cfm03 said:
Ken Farrel and TPS are very closely copies of one another (Farrel first of course). TPS is local in Bend, Oregon and holds together my .340 like glue!

Charlie, I have a spare TPS ring made from aluminum. Are their bases made from aluminum too?

Far as I know, all of the TPS bases that I have seen in person and are in their catalog, are steel. I have TPS rings of both steel and 7075-T6 aluminum.

If you can stomach the price, the Near pieces are the best, no question.

Talleys can work very well if you take care to be sure the rings are aligned.

As others here I've had issues with Leupold bases. Two sets of dual dovetail bases for my Weatherby rifles are significantly misaligned and if it weren't for Burris Signature rings to make up for this they'd be useless. I've changed to Burris bases if I can find them for my smaller Weatherbys.

Back