Accuracy with a bipod

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
I just put a Harris 11 - 25 swivel bipod on my 22-250. Never messed with a bipod before, but with a Wyoming college trip coming up in 2 weeks for my youngest son, I was able to get a couple of brother in laws out there to get me on someone's ranch to shoot a few varmints.

I used the bipod 1st time this morning, and found out 2 things quick. They sell the 6" - 9" bipods for a reason for bench shooting :lol: and 2nd shooting prone with a pod is not all that easy/steady. I can keep them in about a 2" group :oops: at 100yds. Too much wiggle. . . :roll: I have the swivel tight so it does not slip at all but I know the wiggle is coming from the shooter :oops: :oops: I also realized that if there is any taller weeds/grass in the way it will be tough to shoot prone and see over it (unless the PD is up on a mound etc...). I would think shooting in the sitting position might be even more difficult.

Any words of wisdom and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Long " The Humbled"

Dig in the bipod legs a little, into the dirt. Lean into the rifle a little to sort of "pre-load" the springy legs. Learn to do this the same every time, and a fellow can shoot some pretty impressive groups from the bipod. I have been able to cut sub MOA out to 600 yards, no problem, from the bipod.

The lower & stiffer the legs, the steadier it will be. Fully extended to help with sitting instead of prone, it will naturally have a little more wobble.

The doggone feet will bounce around a lot if you put them directly on a hard surface. I've played around with a variety of different approaches to get them to slide instead of bouncing. One thing my youngest son does is to grasp the forend of the rifle stock, instead of curling his left hand up under the buttstock. He reduces bipod bounce that way and does a fine job.

There are different aftermarket bipod "feet" that attach to the standard legs. Some of them are very good at making the bipod either dig into dirt, or slide across hard surfaces. Another solution that worked surprisingly well was simply to use an upsidedown frisbee under the bipod feet.

There's a good article on shooting accurately with a bipod over on 6mmBR.com:

http://www.6mmbr.com/TacticalFroggyA1.html

That is the best info I've seen on shooting well from a bipod, and 6mmBR.com deserves credit for hosting a number of excellent accurate shooting articles on that web site.

Regards, Guy

Long,

I do the same as Guy descried. Preload the bipod legs and tuck your left hand (if you are a right hand shooter) into your chest between the stock and the ground. You will be rock solid at 500 yds. :wink:

JD338

I have gotten advice to use a butt bag also, but with 11" at its shortest it is a bit high. I can understand why most seem to go with the 6-9" but I figured I needed something that I could use prone or sitting if necessary.

Someone also suggested "digging in the legs" which if the ground is soft enough makes good sense. Thanks for the help guys.

Long

I do the same as the rest. I prefer the 9"-13" bipod though. Look me up when you get to Wyoming, I'm in Casper. We'll hook up and do some shooting.

Jumpalot,

Thanks for the offer. I am going to LaGrange in the southeast part of the state. Lots of my wife's family there so all my time will be tied up with them as we only see them every couple of years.

But I have to say Wyoming, even in the southeast, is just awsome. Even if LaGrange is surrounded by missle silos. :lol:

Long

When deer hunting in mn, I have the advantage of lots of clothing to help. WHen shooting in warmer temps, I always adjust the sling so I take my right hand and grab the sling, pulling the rifle tight to my shoulder and if possible, create a rear stock rest with my right hand and left elbow (I shoot left handed).

long,

Pretty much just as mentioned above. A buddy and I do a lot of coyote hunting in the NW corner of CO ie... lots of sagebrush. I wanted a bi-pod and bought one that I could sit and shoot off of. Found that exact same issue.....just a little too tall for prone and not quite high enough to shoot comfortably from my butt. I've found as they have above that pre-loading it in either direction foreward or rearward in my case appears to work farily decent.

Thanks for the advice. I have to get out Sat and try it. PRE-LOAD . . . PRE-LOAD . . . :)

lONG

AFter another jaunt at the range I decided that I need a butt bag or two. Good thing the wife can sew. She is making me up a couple of 9x6x2. I thought of 7x5x2 but with the bipod shortest length of 11" plus some crush I figured the larger size would be the way to go. I have some poly chips I robbed from my Dog Gone Good shooting bag (will have to order more to refill it :oops: ) so it will hopefully work well.

Long

Sounds good Long.

Pre-load the bi-pod and get some support under the rear end of the stock.
You will be rock steady.

Good luck with the P dogs.

JD338

I have been playing around w/ trying to steady up my rifle using a higher bipod. I am using a harris 13-27? (around that high anyway) and I have trouble with steadying up my shots when I am sitting or neeling ( in order to get above the grass and brush). I purchased a 10 dollar adjustable shooting stick and have been using it under the stock. Anyone else have any luck doing this sort of thing? It seems to help a bit.

Back