Ackley Improved

IdahoCTD":3s62oo7w said:
I think if I was going to do an improved 30-06 type case it would be a 30-280AI or a 300 Sherman for the additional capacity. All it would really be is a 300saum without fireforming. I've had and still have numerous improved cases. Presently I have a couple 243AI's, a 308 Baer (8mm Rem mag necked down and blown out or a 300 H&H Imp.), 30-8mm Rem Mag (I still use 300 and 375H&H brass to form these when I can get Winchester brass), 30-338 Norma Imp, 30-338 Lapua Imp, 30-378 Imp, 338 Baer's, 358STA, and 375-358STA.

As Scott mentioned, one of the nice things about improved cases is the lack of trimming required. The additional capacity is never a bad thing either. I think Ackley said the 250AI had the largest gain out of all of his wildcats. It's kind of funny how many calibers used now are based off of a improved 250 Savage case. Many of them are use in benchrest or other forms of competition.

Nathan what about like a 6.5 7 or 30 Gibbs. They would gain a guy more than an Ackley!

IdahoCTD":wfr5iqoh said:
I think if I was going to do an improved 30-06 type case it would be a 30-280AI or a 300 Sherman for the additional capacity. All it would really be is a 300saum without fireforming. I've had and still have numerous improved cases. Presently I have a couple 243AI's, a 308 Baer (8mm Rem mag necked down and blown out or a 300 H&H Imp.), 30-8mm Rem Mag (I still use 300 and 375H&H brass to form these when I can get Winchester brass), 30-338 Norma Imp, 30-338 Lapua Imp, 30-378 Imp, 338 Baer's, 358STA, and 375-358STA.

As Scott mentioned, one of the nice things about improved cases is the lack of trimming required. The additional capacity is never a bad thing either. I think Ackley said the 250AI had the largest gain out of all of his wildcats. It's kind of funny how many calibers used now are based off of a improved 250 Savage case. Many of them are use in benchrest or other forms of competition.

Nathan what about like a 6.5 7 or 30 Gibbs. They would gain a guy more than an Ackley!

The Gibbs are good too but they have short necks and are based on the 30-06 case. The 280AI case is longer and a Sherman takes the 280AI to the extreme, like the Gibbs, but without shortening the neck too much.

You all know I have this love affair with the .280 Remington as it is one of THE BEST cartridges ever developed! :grin: When I was doing my build I knew without a doubt I wanted another .280, but I kept thinking do I want to do the .280 AI now that Nosler has made it legitimate? They make brass and I won't have to fire-form my brass and waste bullets, powder, and barrel getting my loads and ammunition stocked up. I thought about it long and hard, and with a wee bit of prodding from some forum members ( :oops: :lol: ) I decided to go AI. I know it's not going to give me a huge increase in fps but it will be some, and an added benefit is my cases should last a little longer. I think it's just a neat cartridge and if dad is a great cartridge, then super-dad is a little bit better!

Now I have to ask, what is not to like about this! 8)

I have had this completed rifle in my possession now since January 27 and it still has not had a SINGLE round down the barrel! :oops: Having to save up for optics at this time. Man it's killing me though.

David

I'm pretty sure that the knife and .280 AI look like milk and honey next to each other! Smooth and sweet. It looks like that cartridge is already on the hunt for spring black bear opening April 15th. I better get on the stick! (y)

I can donate a crappy Tasco or similar to help you fire your gun. You may not want to be seen in public with it on such a nice rifle but at least you could shoot it.

IdahoCTD":1s48pk2c said:
I can donate a crappy Tasco or similar to help you fire your gun. You may not want to be seen in public with it on such a nice rifle but at least you could shoot it.
Or I could raid one off of my other rifles but I just don't want to do that. :p :lol: I'll stay the course and get it when I can get it. Not that I don't appreciate the very kind offer of the Tasco World Class scope or one of those BSA (big shitty ass scopes) scopes my friend! That rifle looks so gorgeous that I don't know if I could bare the pain of doing something like that to my sweety. Scotty would march his arse over here from back east and put a knot on my head for putting something like that on a Model 70! :lol:

David

I think a VX-3 4.5-14x40mm with a CDS dial would be just about perfect and look great on your rifle.

JD338

6mm Remington":2gen660z said:
IdahoCTD":2gen660z said:
Or I could raid one off of my other rifles but I just don't want to do that. :p :lol: I'll stay the course and get it when I can get it. Not that I don't appreciate the very kind offer of the Tasco World Class scope or one of those BSA (big shitty ass scopes) scopes my friend! That rifle looks so gorgeous that I don't know if I could bare the pain of doing something like that to my sweety. Scotty would march his arse over here from back east and put a knot on my head for putting something like that on a Model 70! :lol:

David

Yeah no doubt David I'm sure there's a few of us who would join the party and set you straight. That's one gorgeous rifle begging for use.

NWBlacktail":6ho700x9 said:
Vince":6ho700x9 said:
In this day and age, given the advent of slow burning rifle powders, I'm inclined to favor a magnum of some sort over an AI. I just don't see it. Please convince me.

Vince

I think they are cool. Other folks think the WSM families are cool. Some think the belted cases are cool. We're just kids in a candy store… :mrgreen:

With our teeth rotting out.. lol

Right handsome rifle, David. Consequently, the original World Class Tasco wasn't a bad scope at all. I can't speak to the current crop; and I haven't seen a Tasco on any rifle near me for at least ten years. Probably still wouldn't have one on any of my rifles, but it was a good scope.

Like said before. The biggest gain is increased powder capacity. Rule of thumb is about 100fps on most cartridges. But in the case of the 30-06 in a NEW current manufactured rifle and barrel can be far more. PSI max is 60K psi in the 06 yet 65K in a 270. Remember the pressure max of 60K is to function in ALL guns no matter age. One can safely load up to higher pressures. Key word is safely, don't just load for max. Yes new powders allow for more speed, but the same can be said for the AI version. If you want magnum speeds, buy a magnum, if you want modest gains in fps go with the AI version. IMO unless you want a hobby to play with as it is time intense with handloading. stick with the parent 30-06

ScreaminEagle":o8qxo403 said:
Thebear_78":o8qxo403 said:
In some cartridges it's effective, in others not so much. Prime candidates have a lot of body taper, by reducing the shoulder angle and blowing out the body taper you gain more capacity yeilding greater improvement. Good examples are 22-250, 257 Roberts, 280 rem, and 300 h&h. All have quite a bit of body taper and long sloping shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AI a 30-30, and you have a whole nother beast!

I'm getting 3450fps with a 110gr AccuBond and IMR4350 in my 257 Roberts AI. I'm happy that i went that route. Its just fun to have something a little different, something others havent seen.
m
3450 with a 110AB out of a 257 Imp Bob??? Holy chit!!! I hope I'm not sitting next to you at the gun range when you touch one of those off. You're one trigger pull away from maiming yourself or others around you.

I got into the AI field by chance. A very inexpensive "donor" rifle came my way which happened to have a stainless Shilen barrel chambered in 250 AI, with 240 fire formed cases thrown into the deal.

As you'll see from my other thread, I think I'm hooked!

The little cartridge isn't the best fit for the BSA action it is in. The BSA has a mag box at 3.1 inches, so I'm thinking the 250 AI barrel might find its way onto a lightweight short action and the BSA might well end up with a 6.5x55.... AI..... :p

It sounds that you have a couple of great ideas :wink: please keep us informed on your plan or plans.
I think you have caught the virus (y)!

Blessings,
Dan

wbyfan1":u6toi6cl said:
ScreaminEagle":u6toi6cl said:
Thebear_78":u6toi6cl said:
In some cartridges it's effective, in others not so much. Prime candidates have a lot of body taper, by reducing the shoulder angle and blowing out the body taper you gain more capacity yeilding greater improvement. Good examples are 22-250, 257 Roberts, 280 rem, and 300 h&h. All have quite a bit of body taper and long sloping shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting 3450fps with a 110gr AccuBond and IMR4350 in my 257 Roberts AI. I'm happy that i went that route. Its just fun to have something a little different, something others havent seen.
m
3450 with a 110AB out of a 257 Imp Bob??? Holy chit!!! I hope I'm not sitting next to you at the gun range when you touch one of those off. You're one trigger pull away from maiming yourself or others around you.
Almost 200 down the pipe with that load. Slightly flattened primers. Maybe my chrony is off?

ScreaminEagle":2yu2cs2f said:

My favorite of all the AI designs, I just gave one of my grandsons my 94 Winchester so chambered and I have a couple of Contender barrels running it too. I have a 336 Marlin that is going to become an AI in the near future. The best improvement for me is case life, no more trimming every other shot. I often use standard .30-30 data except for my handgun hunting loads, then I take advantage of the increased capacity.

Bob

Back