Advantages over a Winchester 300 magnum vs the 300 WSM?

4-pointmuley

Beginner
Oct 5, 2006
I am considering buying a new rifle as well as reloading the bullets. What is the advantage over the Winchester 300 WSM?

They are basically ballistic twins. Accuracy can be spectacular in both. The 300 WSM does come in a shorter/lighter package. There you go.

I have a 300WSM and it is a great caliber. As POP stated they are ballistically about the same with the WSM using less powder to achieve similar velocities. If you are planing on shooting bullets over 200gr then the 300WM will get you there faster. That's about it.

The 300 Win Mag will out perform the 300 WSM if you are using 200 gr bullets and above. Both will give excellent accuracy.

JD338

I own and load for both a 300 wsm and a 300 wm. The bottom line is the 300 Winchester will beat out it's shorter cousin by around 100 fps with most bullet weights.

In the real world that difference means very-very little but it does prove the old hot-rodder's adage that you can't beat cubic inches! (or grains of powder) 8)

300 Win Mag would be my choice if I were you. It's more flexible than the 300 WSM. Bullet selection won't be a problem unlike the WSM especially when using bullet heavier than 180.

Loaded to equal pressure the 300 Win will always out preform, regardless of bullet wieght. The lighter wieght of the short mag tend to make them kick just as much as the big round. Reality is it doesn't matter. Get the one you want, not the one anyone else wants you to get. Both rounds are excellent and will do you proud.

i say the 300 win mag, but im biased

factory ammo has a lot more choices for the standard

and with winchester being gone the wsm fase might go away, probably not, but maybe since its a fairly new cartridge

The WSM's will have longer expansion web case life as they headspace on the shoulder for the first shot. Other wise the old 300 WM is more popular and likely to stay that way.

Whats happened now is that somebody sued WW over the short mags and won and Ruger dropped them.

I don't like that as I prefer them to the belted rounds.

Back