Nickel plated vs bronze cases

Pineman

Beginner
Dec 20, 2021
I'm wondering if anyone has the same results as I have using nickel plated brass vs bronze. In both my 270 WSM's rifles, using all the same components except the case type, I get better results using nickel plated vs non nickel plated. Federal and Browning cases are the only nickel plated cases I have found. I have tried: Winchester, Norma,
Remington, Hornady and Nosler. I'm not saying the non nickel plated cases aren't good as I have good accuracy with those also, just not like the nickel plated. Any thoughts as 2 why?

Could be the Federal and Browning nickel plated cases just happen to be from good lots of brass. The nickel plated W-W 6.8 Western brass I have does seem to shoot better on average compared the standard brass also from Winchester. Maybe it's coincidence or maybe there's something to it, we'll see what the others have found.

Gerry is likely onto a sound reason for your observation. For many years I used the nickel-plated WW brass for one of my 280s. I can't say it was better than other brass I had available, but it was certainly good. I did not notice greater accuracy with that brass. If there was an increase in accuracy, it wasn't sufficiently marked to grab my attention.

In my 338 RUM, R-P brass and Federal nickel plated brass shoot identical speed and point of impact. In my 45-70, R-P nickel plated and R-P brass are two different worlds. Velocity is close but they shoot to different points of impact and the accuracy of the nickel plated is worse.
Go figure...

JD338

I don't shoot much at rifle ranges so can't say I have measured the difference. I also don't have a great amount of nickel plated brass either, but what I have noticed is that both nickel and non-nickel do produce the same amount of dead in game.....yet to notice one more dead than the other :)

Very informative. I have Federal 45-70 factory loads that are nickle-plated. I wasn't sure what to think about that. I'll be following this for sure.

As with any brass, there is going to be variations between various lots of brass, those manufactured by different companies, as well as the two types of brass. The main reason I have read over the years, is that the nickel plated brass is harder and doesn't stretch/expand the same as regular brass when fired in the chamber. I have read where some complain that it is harder on their dies...cannot say myself.
Will this provide more consistency?
Is it more, or less elastic, and try to return to its original shape?
Only testing in your firearm (and dies) will tell.

I know that companies are proclaiming that the nickel plated brass is superior due to its corrosion resistance for hunting ammunition. And that the primers are now sealed to ensure reliable performance in wet or humid conditions. Marketing info for today's audience...as I know that some companies sealed their primers in the past...and while I have seen older brass discoloured over time, it was clean and still seemed to shoot just fine.
Truly corroded cartridges...I have seen some that was produced many decades ago (7+) and not stored (or cared for) properly, but I have not seen any produced in the last 40 years that was corroded...but this is just my limited experience.

The other variable is chamber dimensions, and how one chamber varies to another from rifle to rifle, and therefore differences are going to occur in each rifles, as the brass is required to change dimensions when fired in the individual chamber. And if one is full length sizing each time the brass is reloaded vs neck sizing only when the brass has already been fireformed in your chamber. If your chamber is a littler larger than on another rifle, the brass may stretch more to fit that chamber during firing, and vice versa. Or is your chamber tighter, and produces less stretch/expansion?
Will this produce negative or positive results in your rifle?
Only shooting full length sized vs neck sized may produce a determination for your rifle...

As for newer cartridges introduced lately, in newer rifles...I believe that we are seeing a general improvement in consistency in the rifles, chambers, and ammunition/brass specs of late, as these newer cartridges are for higher performance cartridges and rifles being produced for long range shooting and ballistic performance to achieve the higher expectation of these audiences. Consistency being key. So we may continue to see the trend for more nickel plated cases. Not a bad thing in my books, as most of this ammo produced is providing stellar performance in my rifles so far!

I have not shot lots of nickel plated brass ammo over the years...and haven't handloaded new, or once fired nickel plated cases myself as yet, preferring to stick to regular brass cases for handloading, so far.
Although, I have been firing more factory ammunition of late that is loaded in nickel plated cases, and will eventually be trying handloads in them to attempt duplicating factory ammunition performance with handloads.
Examples are the Federal Premium Terminal Ascent, and Trophy Bonded Tip ammo that I have been firing in my 6.5 Creedmoor, 270 Win, 270 WSM and 300WSM, and the 6.5 PRC that I have yet to try now that I have received my ammo imported from the States. And yesterday, I just ordered the 308 Win 175 gr Terminal Ascent ammo for the new-to-me Ruger No.1 RSI
I still haven't found a source for the Terminal Ascent bullets here in Canada, but I have managed to acquire a couple of boxes of the .277 140 gr Trophy Bonded Tip bullets for reloading. So we will see how the once fired brass resizes and performs in my rifles, as I will experiment with full length resizing and neck sizing to determine the results in my rifles.

Last edited:
Gerry is likely onto a sound reason for your observation. For many years I used the nickel-plated WW brass for one of my 280s. I can't say it was better than other brass I had available, but it was certainly good. I did not notice greater accuracy with that brass. If there was an increase in accuracy, it wasn't sufficiently marked to grab my attention.
Interesting. The only brass I have for my .280 Rem. is once fired factory Remington and Winchester nickel plated cases for reloading. I've done very little work with the Remington brass but my serious load for the .280 runs the older two core Speer Grand Slam at 2910 FPS and the largest group so far was IIRC, .80" from a hot barrel. I have yet to try the newer cup and core version of fthe Grand Slam bullet and have a sneaking suspicion they may not shoot quite as accurately, Just a gut feeling.

Accuracy with the Remington factory load with 150 gr. Corelokt runs aroung 1.0 to 1.25" so far.

I've noticed, at least on the batch of Winchester brass I have that the plating is extremely thin and it gets thinner after a session in the tumbler. On new brass it looks more like a wash than actual plating.
Paul B.

I've used Remington and Winchester nickel plated brass with the Rem being harder than the Win or so it seems to me. Rem scratched the die and Win didn't. As for accuracy both performed well giving more than satisfactory groups. Personally, if using them I'd prefer the Win. Have not used Federal or any other brand. Having said this after my supply of Win plated brass has been exhausted, I plan on going back to non- plated brass only. Dan.

Back