Advice for a 30-30

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
I have my dad's pre-64 Marlin 30-30 which had been tapped for a scope about 40 years ago. It had a Redfield wideangle 4x on it, but the glass has turned yellow and Redfield won't cover anything that was put out before their last buyout.

As I've gotten older I have kind of gotten an itch to hunt with it again but need to scope it. I like the features of a 4x, but don't see much out there. Any ideas? Maybe would consider a 1x5 or such but would like something over 28mm.

Long

I'm sure you will get all sorts of suggestions, depending on what your budget is Leupold and Weaver make 4x scopes that are well thought of. A Burris FFII 2-7x35 with the Ballistic Plex would be a good match for a 30-30 too.

You're fortunate in having a wide variety of scopes that should meet the criteria you have set. Do you have a price range in mind? Are you wedded to the concept of a fixed power? Will a variable power serve you? I've used both fixed power and variable power, and each has advantages and disadvantages. The Leupold VX-3 1.75-6X32 or the VX-3 2.5-8X36 would fill the bill in variable power scopes for you. The Leupold VX-2 2-7X33 is also a scope to consider. Of course, the FX-II 4X33 or 6X36 will serve you quite well. You will find scopes in similar power offered by almost every manufacturer. I'm currently running a number of 30mm tubes on my lever guns--some are quite attractive, some are less attractive; all work well to permit me to acquire the target quickly and shoot accurately.

Depends on price. If frugal look into the 2x7 Nikon ptostaff

Well I just bought that other Kimber and now a 300.00 screen door......I am feeling kinda poor. Gotta do some saving up in the "kuso". So I imagine I'm looking at something under 300.00 down the road.

Long

Long,

Take a look at the Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x32mm. This scope is perfect for a lever action and very bright, even in the cedar swamps.
I have this scope on my Marlin 1895 45-70 and love it. Its made to order for the UP.
DeerSeason2011006.jpg

JD338

I've had great success with Bushnell in years past; the 2-7X36, 2-6X32 or 1.74-4X32 are all good scopes that will serve you well. Fotis' suggestion of the Nikon ProStaff is another option. I have high regard for the Pentax line, as well.

Love the little 2.5x Leupold on my .30-30. Light and handy, very quick on target. Only weighs about 8 ounces!
IMG_5997.jpg

If you want a bigger objective lens for low light stuff, look at the 4x and even 6x from Leupold.

Redfield is now made by Leupold and has some good scopes at the right price to, a 2-7x might be about perfect...

I'd like to see a photo of that old .30-30 of yours - they're good guns.

Guy

Back