am i on to something?

You've gotta admit that the basic concept of adding a pointy, plastic tip to an already proven bullet design worked quite well for Barnes Bullets when they began producing the TTSX bullets. I read that sales of the (new) tipped TTSX bullets out sell the original TSX bullets which are still available.

The only down side that I can see to the TTSX is that the tipped version is slightly longer and "may" be an issue in some magazines.

In my 1989 Nosler #3 reloading manual, the then new Ballistic Tip bullets were offered only in 25 through 30 caliber. The Nosler Solid Base bullet design dominated the entire lineup. For those who might not know, the new (at the time) Ballistic Tip was essentially a Solid Base bullet with a plastic tip. I don't know when the "Solid Base" line ended, but they are no longer with us. The performance and marketing advantages of the Bal-Tip were recognized by everyone.

Nosler has vast experience with bullet design/redesign, and product improvement is an essential ingedient in maintaining relevancy in a market. Nosler knew the BT was a highly successful modification that paid huge dividends in both bullet performance and in marketing. The Partition launched Nosler and put them on the map. The BT made Nosler a leader in the bullet business. A BT Partition would be appealing to many more people - like me.

This is all I'm going to say on the subject... BT

Weight retention of the PT and AB are close as I have seen. The AB favors a slightly greater frontal area on terminal performance. To me, it's pick the one that suits the one's range best. But the PT has sevrved me well for years, and at times, pushing it's performance enveloped down range. But most have been taken well under that range. As I said, I had similar thoughts when the AB came out, but understood Nolsers marketing program.

I would want to keep the Partitions the way they are too. In 30 cal, 35 cal and 375 the AccuBond really does do the same thing pretty much as Partitions from my experience, hope to try the 130 gr AccuBond on some deer this fall from the 260 Rem and see what they will do.....

I shoot both Accubonds and Partitions. In my life of hunting, Partitions have killed most of my game, followed by BT's.

Charlie-NY":2zta31cf said:
With the advent of the Accubonds, the "need" for a BT/Partition bullet was greatly diminished.

Exactly!

I keep wondering what is it that a tipped Partition is going to do, that an AccuBond doesn't?

That's what the AccuBond was designed to do, behave like a Partition, but use the pointy plastic tip and the boat tail design, like the Ballistic Tip bullets... Somehow that message seems to have been lost.

For even BETTER weight retention & penetration, there's the E-Tip too...

Guy

Back