Annealing Brass

grry10

Handloader
Dec 7, 2007
I'm not currently annealing my brass but am thinking I should start. What systems are others are using to anneal their brass, or are they.

grry10":12dn92xk said:
I'm not currently annealing my brass but am thinking I should start. What systems are others are using to anneal their brass, or are they.

Topic been bantered around here a few times....not that we can't do it again :grin:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29155

and

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28486

check out the previous threads ... ignoring anyone who seemed to be disagreeing with me 8) (obviously kidding here).

Best advice I can give you (my advise only applies to rifle brass as I won't speak to pistol)....watch the anneal rite video....and buy the tempilaq 750/450 temps.

I happen to own a Bench Source machine...but only because I anneal a lot of brass.

Use tempilaq regardless of the process you use....it will help you do a more consistent job of annealing...and will help keep you safe.

PUT Tempilaq 750 INSIDE the neck of whatever brass you are annealing .... every piece of brass if not using an auto machine......take it out of the flame when the 750 melts while making sure the base/bottom 1/2 never gets above 400...and you will have perfectly annealed rifle brass....regardless of the process you use.

period. ..use tempilaq

do not drop them into water using this technique ...it isn't necessary

never let brass get red or anything that resembles a shade of red..orange...whatever.

hope this helps...check out the previous discussions

greenheadcaller":1jmfjx2y said:
I happen to own a Bench Source machine...but only because I anneal a lot of brass.

Use tempilaq regardless of the process you use....it will help you do a more consistent job of annealing...and will help keep you safe.

PUT Tempilaq 750 inside the neck of whatever brass you are annealing .... every piee of brass if not using an auto machine......take it out of the flame when the 750 melts while making sure the base/bottom 1/2 never gets above 400...and you will have perfectly annealed rifle brass....regardless of the process you use.

I have the same machine.

Do you find that the Tempilaq bakes/turns black, or that it actually melts?
I have 400, 650 and 750, and I've never seen any of them do what I would call "melt." At a certain point they start to burn and turn into a black char, that's it. I use that point as my indicator, having played around with the Tempilaq a bit.

If you have other suggestiions or descriptions of the process I'd be interested.

Dr. Vette":2u4oo8ml said:
greenheadcaller":2u4oo8ml said:

PUT Tempilaq 750 inside the neck of whatever brass you are annealing .... every piee of brass if not using an auto machine......take it out of the flame when the 750 melts while making sure the base/bottom 1/2 never gets above 400...and you will have perfectly annealed rifle brass....regardless of the process you use.

I have the same machine.

I have 400, 650 and 750, and I've never seen any of them do what I would call "melt." At a certain point they start to burn and turn into a black char, that's it. I use that point as my indicator, having played around with the Tempilaq a bit.

If you have other suggestiions or descriptions of the process I'd be interested.

Dr.... thank you....your description of Tempilaq turning color/black as it reaches its stated max temp is exactly it ....and yours is a much better description than my "melting"

greenheadcaller":3ueexlwr said:
Dr. Vette":3ueexlwr said:
greenheadcaller":3ueexlwr said:

I have the same machine.

Dr.... thank you....your description of Tempilaq turning color/black as it reaches its stated max temp is exactly it ....and yours is a much better description than my "melting"

No problem. I always see it described as melting which makes me think of a drip down the side of the case. This, of course, has never happened to me.

I just use a lazy susan with a shallow dish of water to stand the cases in...rotate as the flame is applied.
Never used Tempilaq, but only because it's hard to get hold of in the UK. I just do the job in dim light and after around 12 secs, just as the brass looks 'rosy', knock it over into the water.

You don't have to 'quench' brass cases, but I stand the cases in the water to ensure the temperature doesn't get too high from the case shoulder down to case head.

It may be the 'poor mans' method, but it certainly works. ATB ET

Back