Another 308 Norma Magnum Question

trays7940

Beginner
Feb 21, 2006
Wow! i just found this caliber while comparing the 300 win mag and the 300 rum. Then I come to ask a question and another is asking about the same round...I love this site. I do have a couple of questions I was hoping to get answered... Those who have shot the round, what is recoil like? and secondly, if the round is so similar to the 300 win mag, and I have seen the ballistics on both and they are twins, what makes the win mag the better of the two? Thanks for the help... :wink:

The two are nearly identical, 300 Win Mag case is slightly longer, 2.620" vs the 308 Norma Mag's 2.559". The 300 Win Mag wins by popularity. Ammo can be bought most anywhere as well as brass for reloading.
Recoil from the bench will be sharper and a little harder than a 30-06, still very manageable. In the field shooting at game, you will never notice it.

JD338

It is basically the ballistic twin of the 300 win mag. I handloaded for it for a buddy.
180 gr Hornady with 76 gr H4831 gave us 3050 fps or so. Same load with my 300 Win Mag at the time.

BTW he took the biggest 7x7 Bull Elk I have ever seen, at 403 yards with that load that year.

So far, all the comments are right on. The 308Norma is actually just a smidge better than the 300Win, ballistically speaking. What we're talking about, though, is a razor thin edge of maybe 25-50fps for hunting bullet weights in the two cartridges, which won't show up in the field, generally speaking. The reason the Norma is less popular is the overall cost of loading the round, and factory ammo availability and cost as well. I personally like the 308Norma a lot, and the round is on my watch list.

As for recoil, again, what has been said is dead on. It will be a step up from the 30-06, but a step down from the 300RUM (or the 300Wby, which is closer to the RUM). Stiff but manageable is a good way to phrase it.

Thanks all. Iam sure that this will be my next project. I have already located the brass. Again, thanks :grin:

Here is Norma's story about the 308 Norma Magnum, which also describe the difference to 300 Win Mag.

308 Norma Mag

308normamag.gif

300 Win Mag

300winmag.gif

Back