Another Approach for Anti-hunting

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
This is a disturbing story from Canadian Press.

Anti-hunting Group Buys Out Hunting Rights in B.C.

Grizzly hunts have been outlawed in BC since 2017, and shooting the Kermode is banned. So, its not clear what great predators are being protected. There is practically no lion hunts in that region and wolves are certainly not routinely hunted there. What is novel is the "unsuccessful" hunts conducted to maintain the right to hold hunting rights in that region. I would expect to see more of this approach throughout North America in the future.

It has been suggested in many circles here that Anti/Non-hunters have been buying licenses and drawing the tags to prevent these opportunities from going to actual hunters here in Oregon.

Short of being a millionaire/billionaire who can afford these expensive fee hunts, the future of hunting is looking pretty bleak from where I stand.

It has been suggested in many circles here that Anti/Non-hunters have been buying licenses and drawing the tags to prevent these opportunities from going to actual hunters here in Oregon.

Short of being a millionaire/billionaire who can afford these expensive fee hunts, the future of hunting is looking pretty bleak from where I stand.
We have the same issue here in MI. The tree huggers apply for elk and bear tags every year. The one and only wolf season here got a lot of attention from the anti hunters.

JD338

Unfortunately, these people will stop at nothing to promote and force their misguided beliefs on others. I have wondered if it would be possible for those who suffer from bear and or predator attacks to sue the state and or federal governments for being hurt and killed because of the laws protecting said creatures. Kinda of like using their own tactics against them. Just a thought. Dan.

Not sure what the situation is now in California but when I lived there (1938 to 1968) Bucks had to have one branched antler. Does and spikes were off limits. They did sell doe tags back then in a similar manner to what the "lottery" tag system is in most places today. The doe hunts were limited in time and short. You could apply and hold your breath and you'd be might damn blue in the face before you ever drew a tag. One anti hunting group would put in en masse and always seemed to draw all the doe tags. Then over labor day throw a big shindig and throw the tags into the bar-B-que pit of red hot coals. AFAIK, this still goes on to this day.

Here in Arizona, 10% of tags got to non-residents. One the very rare occasion I'd draw a tag for the Kaibab, it seemed like 99% of the license plates were all out of state. Back when I still hunted here, my late wife would put in for doe tags that were limited to kids and seniors. Now, it's only the kids. Trying to get a deer or elk tag anynore borders on the impossible. I've been here since 1979 and have yet to draw an antelope tag. I finally quit putting in for one and did a guided hunt in New Mexico back in 2009. These days, I don't know if I'll ever do another hunt but I'd sure like to try for another elk.

Paul B.

We had this issue with the last time WI had a wolf hunt.

They are trying to get wolves put back on the ESA again as endangered and they are still fighting Montana to keep grizzly bears from being removed from the ESA.

Not sure what the situation is now in California but when I lived there (1938 to 1968) Bucks had to have one branched antler. Does and spikes were off limits. They did sell doe tags back then in a similar manner to what the "lottery" tag system is in most places today. The doe hunts were limited in time and short. You could apply and hold your breath and you'd be might damn blue in the face before you ever drew a tag. One anti hunting group would put in en masse and always seemed to draw all the doe tags. Then over labor day throw a big shindig and throw the tags into the bar-B-que pit of red hot coals. AFAIK, this still goes on to this day.

Here in Arizona, 10% of tags got to non-residents. One the very rare occasion I'd draw a tag for the Kaibab, it seemed like 99% of the license plates were all out of state. Back when I still hunted here, my late wife would put in for doe tags that were limited to kids and seniors. Now, it's only the kids. Trying to get a deer or elk tag anynore borders on the impossible. I've been here since 1979 and have yet to draw an antelope tag. I finally quit putting in for one and did a guided hunt in New Mexico back in 2009. These days, I don't know if I'll ever do another hunt but I'd sure like to try for another elk.

Paul B.

I gave up on Arizona.
For my remaining years I stick with Alaska.

Vince

Cougar in utah used to be a difficult tag to draw. Then in mid stream they opened it up to everyone-general open season.
They are about as protected as coyotes and jackrabbit now. So much for carefully managing populations for the benefit of the species! The rumor is that a legislator that loves deer hunting got it through the system with an FU attitude for anyone but himself. But I don’t know the truth of it though

Back