Any "Pet Loads" For The 7x57?

Ron_T.

Beginner
Sep 3, 2006
Heyyyyyyy... :)

New to this forum, but not to hunting, shooting and reloading. Been doin' all of 'em for the past half century.

Just bought a really nice 1981 Ruger #1 International (full Mannlicher-style stock w/ 20-inch barrel) in 7x57 Mauser that looks brand new... and I wanna work up a super-accurate load @ about 2800 fps using a 140 grain Ballistic Tip in Remington brass.

Anyone got a "pet load" that fits these parameters? Thanx for your help... :wink:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

I am shooting a great load in my 1953 FN Mauser, in 7X57. I am using 47.6 grains of RL-19 for about 2,700 FPS. After losing a 4 point Muley using Hornady SST's, I will not use the Ballistic Tip/Super Shock Tip again. Amazingly enough I am shooting the 140 grain Partition and Sierra Gameking at almost the same point of impact, and keeping groups consistantly between .5"-.75". Definitely an accurate load in this rifle. Hope this helps.
-TB

I am using 52 grains of Norma MRP behind the 140 Partition in my 700 Mountain rifle. It give me groups around ¾MOA at 2900+ in the 22" tube. I have tried Reloder 22 also. Gives similar velocities, but the groups are a bit larger on average. Another good powder in that case is IMR 4831 at aroud 50 grains. If you are using Winchester brass, You will find it to be lighter and will take about two more grains of powder to reach similar velocities. In fact, I shot a very good group with the 140 AccuBond and 54 grains of Old Norma 205. I'll post a pic of the group. Regards, Eagleye.

You guys have had much better luck than i can attest to with RL19 (in the 7x57). I haven't gotten much inside an inch yet after 3 different loads using AB. I shot a 139 Hornady group using H414 at sub half inch, but haven't gotten close (even with the same velocity) with RL19 and AB's. I would love to hurry up and find the magic combination though, as the 140 AB in my 7mag is an absolute tack driver.

TBASTIAN":3vflp82c said:
I am shooting a great load in my 1953 FN Mauser, in 7X57. I am using 47.6 grains of RL-19 for about 2,700 FPS. After losing a 4 point Muley using Hornady SST's, I will not use the Ballistic Tip/Super Shock Tip again. Amazingly enough I am shooting the 140 grain Partition and Sierra Gameking at almost the same point of impact, and keeping groups consistantly between .5"-.75". Definitely an accurate load in this rifle. Hope this helps.
-TB

Not to bee too critical, but if you lost the deer, how do you know it was the bullet? I prefer a 150gn PT using 48.5gn H4350 at around 2700fps for pigs and deer, but would use a BT if deer were the only game. capt david

When it's the only deer I've lost, and the only time I've used the SST's on game, I'm betting the bullet's light construction was to blame. Shot placement was good, deer was hit, but was later seen over a mile away, going strong. Maybe I was quick to judge, but when there are better bullets out there, that have never failed me, it's an easy choice to go with what you have confidence in. Just my opinion, but definitely a lesson learned.
-TB

150 Sierra SBT gameking
Reloader 15 @ 40.3
Fed 210 Match Primer
FC Cases

COL: 2.975"

I know you want 140 loads, but I figured this group would not hurt!

Case- WW
Primer- 210M
Powder- IMR4350- 46.0gr.
Bullet- 160gr. NP

0.010 off of the lands from a M77 MKII produced a 5 shot group of .333 of an inch at 100 yards!!!

Back