Any requests for milk jug testing?

The 105 BTHP is hard/impossible to find right now.

The 130 ttsx from the 30/06 interests me as I shoot those in that chambering.

Thanks for doing all this work so we can look at pictures. :)

I would to see Hornady's 6.5 123gr SST on a milk jug test. At just 3gr more than Nosler's great 6.5 120gr BT it has a 10% higher BC of .510. I like how flat my .264 Win Mag shoots but this would make for a greater point blank range. Thanks

I bet the 264 would tear it to pieces by the 3rd jug. I don't have any of those but I do have some 123 AMaxs.

I would agree, I believe the 123 gr SST was designed for the 6.5 Grendel.

SJB358":33yljm1h said:
I bet the 264 would tear it to pieces by the 3rd jug. I don't have any of those but I do have some 123 AMaxs.

I'm not so sure about that, one never knows till one is sent down range. I have heard great things about the 123gr AMax, I just can't bring my self to shooting a target bullet at game. I would think the SST would be tougher than the AMax even though it was designed for the Grendel .

Every Sierra MK you have to put that issue to bed!!! LOL

I know people shoot Deer with target bullets but why do the Manfactures not recomend them on game. I have no idea why, but they must have a reason. I would still like to see Hornady's 6.5. 123gr SST at .264 Win Mag speeds, even though it was designed for smaller 6.5's. Most my Mule Deer are shot at longer range & Antelope farther. Good Shooting

1100 Remington Man":jefl7gtf said:
I know people shoot Deer with target bullets but why do the Manfactures not recomend them on game. I have no idea why, but they must have a reason. I would still like to see Hornady's 6.5. 123gr SST at .264 Win Mag speeds, even though it was designed for smaller 6.5's. Most my Mule Deer are shot at longer range & Antelope farther. Good Shooting

I am amused each time I see this thread. The thought leaps into the forefront of my mind that we are testing milk jugs. Okay, enough of the frivolity. Manufacturers do not recommend match bullets for game simply because the jackets are thin. The bullets are prone to fail to penetrate sufficiently, expending all their energy on shallow, superficial wounds. Just because a match bullet will kill an animal, and even do so repeatedly over an extended number of shots, they are designed to shed the jacket quickly, which can (and often does) result in wounded animals. I understand that many people are quite avid in promoting match bullets for big game, but the manufacturers know whereof they speak. There are better tools for the job.

I don't think the answer is quite so simple. Here are a few examples of why I feel that way:

1) Sierra Matchkings are very accurate despite their thick jacket for a match bullet and rarely ever create surface wounds on game. At least not in my experience.

2) The current Berger "Hunting" bullets are the exact same bullet that was previously their "Match" bullet. Their new(er) match bullets have a thicker jacket and are not recommended for game even though many knowledgeable shooters use them with great success.

3) The Hornady A-Max bullet, which is a very fragile bullet IMO, was recommended for shooting soft skinned big game in their reloading manual. I've killed quite a few whitetails with the 162gr A-Max and terminal performance at almost any distance was very impressive. Current Hornady manuals are silent on the hunting application of this bullet even though the bullet construction hasn't changed.

As long as you get the results you want then they are good in my book. Seen good results from the AMax and heard tons of great stuff about Bergers. For the most part anything decent not ran at super high impact speeds should work fine.

It's great to have choices.

Back