Anybody tried RL17 and 140s in 280 Rem?

HTDUCK

Handloader
Apr 18, 2009
If so is it worth pursuing?

Advertised velocities look impressive.Matter of fact the velocity claims for most 308 or '06 based cases look good.

Just wondering if I need to get a can to play with once duck season is over? :roll:

Howard (The Duck)

I've got the .280, I've got the 140-grain Partitions, and I've got the Re17 sitting right in front of me...but I never intend to try the combination because I am 99% certain that H4831 and Re22 are THE powders for the .280 Remington. I reserve that 1% of certainty because Re17 seems to have what I would call "broadband" properties, based on looking over the data for a wide range of cartridges. If it turns out that Re17 really is a miracle powder, I might give it a try. I just don't see it doing any better than H4831, though.

My $.02

My experience with RL17 and standard cartridges (.280 and .30-06) is that it offers no significant improvement over the old standbys. It works very well in the short magnums, and that will have my attention for RL17.

I also like 4831... H or IMR and RL-22. I have had very good results with RL-19 also. Some say that 4350 is the go to powder wich is very close to RL-19.
I am curious how it performs with the lighter bullets.
I think I will give it a try with the 120bt and maybe the 140bt/ab when it finally gets out west.

DrMike":23b7jhr8 said:
My experience with RL17 and standard cartridges (.280 and .30-06) is that it offers no significant improvement over the old standbys. It works very well in the short magnums, and that will have my attention for RL17.

Well Doc you got my attention.
I have to admit RL19 in my 280 is nothing to sneeze at.But like you I'm a handloader,therefore I'm a tinkering hairsplitter.Always looking for another "greener pasture" so to say.

Been thinkin bout a 7MM STW(already have a 300 Weatherby,but I NEED :lol: another rifle) as a deer gun for my lease in Mo.
Shots there can be anywhere from 25 yards to somewhere just short of the county line......

Never considered a WSSM (as of yet) but MAYBE a 7WSSM and RL17?
Sounds like a plausible theory to me.
Howard

I have Ruger No. 1 280 and my dad has a Remington 700 280. Both rifles love 58 grains of RL22 and a 140 AccuBond. I get 3040 fps in mine and 3000 fps in the 700. I use RL19 and RL22 more than any other powders in several different calibers. I've never tried RL17... I guess because I havn't needed to. I also like to look for "greener pastures" and will experiment more with RL19. I think the 140 AB is about as good as it gets in a 280. Good luck.
BP

I'll look @ my data - can't remember if I recorded any during my last outing. I still have some 140's & RL-17 loaded for mine, but at the present time I have yet to be too impressed with RL-17.

Have tried it to date in (2) .260's & a .270wsm..... won't purchase another pound once this one is gone.

In 280 Rem, My go to load is 57.0 grs RL 19 with a 140 gr bullet.
Shoots well under MOA in 2 different rifles.

JD338

cold_hunter":2l0epcto said:
the wssm what a JOKE. sorry you must have way too much money

No matter of fact I'm an auto mechanic and work hard for a living.
Just happen to have an appetite for guns of all varieties and like to hunt/fish/shoot/reload in my "spare time"

Fortunately my wife is a very understanding gal and if I carry a gun in the house she never questions me.

Like I said,never considered a WSSM before,might be something to play with for awhile.

I have used 59 grains of WXR and 139 grain Hornady SP for years in my .280. I using the last of these loads at the present. Recently, I've have great success with several loads, including: 54 grains of H100V and 140 grain PT, 56 grains of RL19 and 140 grain AB, and 57.5 grains of H4831 and 140 grain AB. I am getting excellent velocities and very good groups. I have used RL17 with several bullets, but I simply do not see any advantage over the other loads that I have worked up.

HTDUCK,

The WSSMs are not my favourite cartridges, but all that I have shot produced some very fine groups. The major concerns I have had with them centred on feeding and on the fact that the smaller the calibre the greater the tendency to see exaggerated throat erosion. However, all that I have developed loads for shot quite well. If you choose that route, you will want to allow lots of time between shots to avoid overheating, as would be true of any overbored cartridge. And you will want to be somewhat compulsive about keeping the bore clean, I should think. With these caveats, you will get good life out of the rifle, if you go that direction.

i know a guy with a 25 wssm A Bolt it does shoot great but cant touch my savage 2506. his is 6.5lbs and mine is 12lbs. we cant race cause he gets mad that his was supposed to be equal and its not. so do what you like. might i suggest the 7mm WSM 1 less S gives you alot more go. look at the capacity of the little beast, they do eat barrels if you let them heat up and dont clean often but it is a beast.

I've used R-17 in one of my 30-06 didn't like the 165gr bullet but did with 180gr got 2790fps using 54.5gr of powder that a max load.

In my 270WSM I get almost 100fps more than published velocity with 150gr bullets accuracy is outstanding so I'm using that powder now 60gr give me 3100fps plus. If the weather ever warm up I'm going to try it in a 300WSM.

I tried it in the 6.5x284 shoot pretty good in that rifle also. It seems to at least in my rifles to shoot best at max or 1/2gr under with heavier bullets.

Some time after the 1st of the year my new 280AI be ready and first powder I'm trying is R-17 with 160gr bullets.

I had real good luck in my .280 and 140 grain Partitions and Accubonds with IMR4350. My load chronographed 2940 fps in a 22" 700 MTN rifle. I also had great luck with H4831SC with the same two bullets. R19 would not group. I would have 2 shots touching out of a 3 shot group, and one of the three would be about an inch away from the two touching shots. R19 just did not work for me.

I load for a 284 win which has almost identical powder capacity to the 280 Rem. I have gotten very good velocity using RL-17 - probably 50 fps more than with I-4350 - using 140 gr ABs or TTSX. It also works well in my 7mm wsm. No complaints - glad Alliant came out with it.

sorry guys sometimes i forget that we tinker with guns because we can not because it makes sense to other people. like my .222 that was made by 2 old farmers in a their shop like in 1952. 20 years before i was born, they didnt like a few things about the factory guns so this one has a 1in9 twist. now i cant tell you how many times a gunsmith or the tech guys at a bullet co. have said why the hell do you want that twist with a .222? so HTDUCK im sorry. that WSSM does look like a BR case on roids. by the way i shot my 222 as a kid up til i was 13 and never saw it again and then a smith broke the extracter, i found my uncle a new 222 when none were being made by the big boys and he gave me the old gun a year later he gave me the parts to fix it and wow what a gun. if i could figure out how to post pics id show it to all of you. its got a stock with a high comb and it brings my eye right to the perfect place every time i pull it up. oh ya its built on a BSA Monarch action. and with the first .5in of the throat real rough in its douglas barrel it still puts 5 in under .5 @ 100yds. not bad for a finders fee

Coldhunter,ain't no problem.

I've given up on the WSSM idea.I came to my senses and have decided to go another route instead.
I'm gonna take a 700 '06 and have it rebarreled.Only questons now are what barrel and is it gonna be another 280 with a 26 inch tube or a 280 Ackley? :wink:

Howard

smart choice i think. now you can get brass that you dont even have to form and it costs a little but then you save on components and time. that should prove to be a winner. what kind of barrel will you use?
jamie

Not sure.Been doing some research on the matter.Course living in n Tx it's hard to not look at Shilen.They are only about an hour away.
Never owned anything other than off the shelf rifles,this will be a first for me.

Back