AR 15

critterskinner

Beginner
Sep 21, 2009
About to start reloading an AR 15 platform rifle in .223. Do I need the special AR dies sold or can I just use regular .223 dies?

regular .223 dies are just fine. Just be sure to bump the shoulder
back .002-.003 for easy chambering/functioning

223 dies are perfectly fine.

Ar's are dirty. And the fact that you will be picking up your cases...which will be launched in the mud and the dirt and dusty stones...it makes the whole thing even dirtier. Invest in a sonic case cleaner. You will be many swear words ahead getting a cleaner a sonic cleaner. It is well worth the $100 bucks give or take a few dollars.

What twist are you running and what bullet do you plan using. What bbl length are you working with?

I wanted to add something for you...given the fact you are asking about the die set for reloading an ar-15 I'm assuming you are new to reloading for the ar-15. If you are going to use military brass then you will have to deal with the military crimp. This is the crimp that helps hold the primer in the case that the military demands be put on the case. This crimp has to be removed or you will smash the new primer trying to get it in. There are many ways to rid the military crimp. You can de-prime the case just as you would any other case, but you will have to get rid of the crimp to put the new primer in.

If you already know this then disregard

Another thing to remember for your rifles sake. Don't try to run max HOT bolt action loads in it. The HOT loads are not as accurate usually but will beat your AR up pretty good over time.

Back