Are 3 1/2 inch shotguns worth it?

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
I have been in the market for a shotgun to round out my hunting arsenal, and have come down to three models of what I am going to end up with:
Franchi Affinity 12 guage
Stoeger 3000
Stoeger 3500

Now, both the Affinity and the 3000 are 3" chambered guns, while the 3500 is a 3.5. I got to play with one today at Bass Pro, and as much as I like it I couldnt help but wonder is there really any practicallity to having a 3.5 inch chamber?

I have shot 3.5" turkey loads before (out of a 870 pump), and I can tell you they HURT. (Hence why I am going to a semi for recoil-reduction). I have read that 3.5" turkey loads can exert over 50 ft. lbs of recoil :shock:

So my question is, is there any benefit to having a 3.5 inch chambered gun, and if so why?

I have taken quite a few turkeys with both the 12 ga 3" (870) and the 3.5" (11-87). Using Hevi Shot Mag Blend, my longest shot is 55 yds with the 3.5" load. Second longest is 50 yds with a Remington Hevi Shot #6. The choke is a Pure Gold .670" the patterns very evenly out as far as I care to shoot. Most of my birds have been taken in the 25-30 yard range so I don't need the 3.5" shell.
This year I am going to go back to the 3" Mag 870.

JD338

I don't have nearly as much experience as some guys when it comes to shotguns but I would say the the regular 3" chambered guns should do pretty much everything a guy could want especially with modern ammo. A shotgun is on the list to buy here and the only way it will be a 3.5" gun will be if a great deal comes along.

My Duck hunting buddy and I have some good conversations over the use of a 3.5 as opposed to a 3 inch. I can honestly say I see no difference (other than recoil) between the amount of ducks either of us takes. Actually I think the 3 inch patterns somewhat better with the both of us using the same guns and chokes. The cost of the roman candle loads is definitely different than the three inch.

My old shoulder tells me there is a difference in the recoil of a 3.5" vs a 3" shell. But the 870 actually likes the 3" loads very nicely, killing gobblers at 40 yards on a regular basis :wink: !

I have used a 3.5" Benelli SBEll for a number of years. I do not find the recoil that bad. My son shoots the Stoeger and he likes it as well.
Stoeger I believe is made by Benelli and they are top of the line in my books :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

I have an older 1100 Rem 3" mag and shoot 2 3/4" reloads in it and have killed my share of Turkeys with my 1 1/2 oz loads which have a muzzel velosity of around 1400 fps. If you want to get thumped this will thump you in a gas opperated shot gun. But it will kill turkeys at extended ranges when you get one hung up out side normal range. My barrel is 30" full choke with the forcing cone lengthened to about mazimum length.

I think, for all intents and purposes, I would be perfectly fine with a 3" gun. Those 3.5" loads just dont appeal to me. Now to choose between the Stoeger 3000 and the Franchi Affinity. Both are made under Benelli, with the Stoeger being made in Turkey and the Franchi made in Italy.

I prefer using 3.5" Hevi-Shot for the extra pellets on geese, deer, and yotes. 3" shells will kill just as quick, but the added shot can only help. Never did notice any big difference in recoil with my SBE II.

Beretta owns Benelli, Franchi, and Stoeger with Stoeger being the lowest quality of them. The Franchi would be my pick of the ones you have listed. I have heard from a few people that bought the POS Stoeger 2000 semi auto and read about the problems with them. Sounds like the 3500 is an improved version from some of the shotgun forums.

I have a 3.5 Benelli SBE II.

Would not trade it for anything.

FOTIS":icrlxcvh said:
I have a 3.5 Benelli SBE II.

Would not trade it for anything.

Same here! It's one great hunting shotgun! I would like to give the Benelli Vinci a try. Don't think that will happen since it costs $1700.

I have read the same thing in regards to the 3500. Now if I could afford a SBE II, It would be a whole different story. I think the Franchi will be it.

Unless you shoot a lot of geese, like a really lot of geese, as in you eat, sleep and breathe geese and travel the plains in the early spring to hunt them too, a 3.5" chamber is pretty useless.

The new super turkey loads with various alloys in 3" will do everything the 3.5s will do. Advances in duck loads, both with conventional steel and with other alloys make 3.5" unneccesary for them. If you shoot a lot of geese and are willing to pay the extra money for the super shells, some of the 3.5" goose loads will carry a significant advantage over 3" loads at the longest practical ranges. If they're under 50 yards where they should be, 3" heavy shot 2s, or even 3" HV steel BBs will crumple them just fine. Trust me, I shoot a lot of sky carp up here in MN.

The only advantage the 3.5 offers over the 3 is pellet count. The 3.5 was born out of the desire to have higher pellet counts when waterfowl went from lead to steel. If we would have stayed with lead I would bet you would have never seen a 3.5 12 gauge.

I waterfowl hunt a LOT and while my SX3 is 3.5 capable I rarely shoot them as 3 inch kills just fine with 1's.

On the plus side of 3.5 you can spend more for shells and you know it when you touch one off so you know you are getting your moneys worth.

If you want a 3.5" you need the 10 gauge IMO. Patterns much better.

Better off just sticking to 3" out of a 12 ga.

I have a 870 super mag and thought I needed the 3.5" for geese and turkeys but truth is you dont need it.

My cousins kill hundreds and hundreds of geese every year with 3". Those big honkers are not easy to bring down either.

Matter of fact last time I went out with them all I was either having a very off day or those birds had steel armor on them because they were not falling out of the sky from the 3.5 steel BBs I was using. Everyone else was slaying them with 3" BBs and 2s. Go figure...

Would stay away from Franchis.

My cousin shoots a lot of geese and he had nothing but problems with one he had. Think it went back 3 times in one season before he told them to keep it.

I have the new franchi affinity, I have not really put it through the test, but so far it has been flawless, all I have down so far is shoot clay pigeons, it handles and shoots well, give them a look, I had a 3.5" semi auto for years, I don't feel under gunned with a 3". I like the franchi!

remingtonman_25_06":mk3z70et said:
If you want a 3.5" you need the 10 gauge IMO. Patterns much better.

Better off just sticking to 3" out of a 12 ga.

Sage advise.
I'm an avid waterfowler.
I'm also a clay target shooter. I shoot shotguns probably 35-40 weekends out of the year.
Not all that many years ago I shot on average 30 boxes of steel every duck season.
I've got a SBE and an 870 SuperMag as well as half a dozen other 3 inch chambered 12s.
I also own a Browning Gold 10.
For killing big honkers or Snow Geese that don't want to finish the 10 shooting 1 1/2 oz of steel shot at 1700 is the way to go. #4 HeviShot in a 10 ga will kill geese at 80-100 yards if you do your part.
Ducks I usually shoot 3 inch 1 1/8 oz steel 4s out of a 12 or a 20 ga shooting 1 oz hevi shot 7s in tight quarters like flooded timber.
I have the capability of shooting the 3 1/2s in a 12 but very rarely ever do.
3 inch Hevishot or Tungsten Super Shot make for longer range killing power than lead shot 2 sizes larger.

Take some friendly advise. IF you can find a used SBE or a Beretta Extrema that will shoot 3 1/2s and it's in your budget; BUY IT.
If you can't find one of those, buy a 3 inch chambered Beretta gas gun like a 390, 3901 or a 391.
You won't find a more reliable gas gun and they are not hard to keep runnning even when shooting high volumes of shells.
I clean my 391 target guns once a year and that's after shooting about 5k rounds through them.

SBEs can be finicky about what they feed and eject.
Mine cycled 7/8 oz lead loads but won't cycle 1 1/16oz steel loads? Had to replace the recoil spring with an SRM Sure Cycle.
The Beretta guns? They'll cycle anything.....

When I was really into Waterfowl Hunting a few years back I was using a Rem 1100 3" mag gun verses my buddy using his 10 gauge 3.5 " mag. I killed just as many Geese and Ducks as he did with out near the expense in Ammo.

Don

Back