Artemis

Thankful Otter

Handloader
Oct 8, 2012
A friend ask this on a different forum with no responses and he was still "wondering"

I know that Aleena and April have Kilimanjaro and Sauer Artemis rifles and speak highly of them. One of them also has a 22 caliber in something called a Daystate Artemis, which I had never heard of.

It is very hard to find a rifle off the rack that fits the majority of women in comparison to fitting the majority of men. I am not talking about the best caliber for women, I am talking about "fit"

So his question is, do you fellows buy the Artemis rifles from the above mentioned companies for your wife, and daughter or do you rework ( or have it reworked ) the stock to "fit" them.

I believe even more women and girls would shoot and hunt if the rifle they were shooting was comfortable, and again I am not talking recoil, although that does factor in

I had never heard of that one Cheyenne so I looked it up and believe Fotis could be more help to you than I since he is Greek and Artemis is a Greek Goddess.
But I will say that buying a long/shotgun firearm for a Woman is a challenge since there is none that I know of built specifically for Women and you have to have them custom fitted or stocked to fit where as there are long/shotgun firearms that are sold for youths.

Cheyenne,

Sorry I can't offer anything on this.

JD338

Cheyenne,
My daughter is an avid shooter and being 5'4" with small hands it has been a challenge to fit her correctly. I have no knowledge of the Artemis; Sorry. My daughters current arsenal consists of a Youth Ruger American 17HMR, a Remington 1100 20ga(youth) and a Kimber 84 in 308Win. The characteristic that they all share is a narrow wrist and a suitable reach to the trigger. The Kimber has a standard stock which is a little long for her but usable. They are all very light in weight so she can handle them easily. If looking for a .22 for a small framed person I would consider a Cooper, Ruger or Kimber with a wood stock so that it could be shortened.

Scott

The Artemis Rifle is a beautifully crafted firearm designed for women (small framed individuals). The Daystate Artemis is described here: http://daystate.com/. Check out the following url as well https://www.precisionairgunsandsupplies.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=daystateartemis.

Usually, when building a rifle for a youth or a woman, I'll have them fitted and the stock cut to fit. To address the wrist of the rifle and the design would require a competent stock-maker to ensure that it is crafted properly.

Dr Mike as usual is spot on.

Also Cheyenne, the name "artemis" is just a greek name the rifle companies use to describe their rifles which are made specifically for women.

Aleena does have an " Artemis" made by Kiljamanjaro and I have a Sauer. Jamila has the Daystate, which her mother bought for her and I believe it was a one time run and that they are not making them any longer, but not sure about that.

Length of pull, smaller grip, toe out to put recoil away from breast tissue are examples of what they do and IMHO it works.

Interesting - in military and police work I trained women and men in the use of small arms - particularly the 5.56mm M-16 and AR-15. That light recoiling rifle has good ergonomics for most people - particularly the models with the telescoping buttstock, which is easily adjusted for length. I never saw any women who had trouble handling one, and continue to train women and men on the AR-15. However, it's obviously not a conventional hunting-rifle platform.

A shorter, lightly built athletic woman with whom I've worked for some time, chose a lightweight SAKO for her hunting rifle. Short action. Very light weight. It's almost "dainty" in proportions and I'm uncomfortable when shooting it, but she shoots it like it's made for her.

Another interesting thing I've seen, is how well many women take to a traditional lever action, like a Winchester 94 or a Marlin 336 - both of which tend to have fairly short stocks, and are set up for iron sight use with a lot of drop to the stock. They also tend to be fairly short, handy rifles, unless a long-barreled model is specifically selected.

I'd encourage women to shop carefully for their rifles, with proper fit being more important than cartridge selection, in my opinion. I've seen women handle some very stout rifle cartridges, no problem.

Regards, Guy

my wife doesn't shoot much, but seems to enjoy the lever action the most I'm not sure if it's just because it's pure fun, or how the crescent moon shaped stock naturally tucks itself into the shoulder.

one rifle my brother-in-law and I were talking about over Christmas is the new Ruger Precision Rifle, certainly not one to take into the mountains but to lug from the truck to a deer stand could be a worthwhile family rifle since he said it is easy to adjust.

Gentlemen, thank you all for your replies, guidance and suggestions

Dr Mike, thank for that link

Guy and Tim. I am another who likes the way the lever rifles feel in my hand. I have the 348 win, 7mmwsm Browning, and 45/70Marlin and like all three--preference of those three are just as I listed them

truck driver, when I ask April about a shotgun that would "fit" me, she steered me to Connecticut, but I could not afford their shotguns, but maybe they will work for you

yukon huntress":1wgodk6t said:
Gentlemen, thank you all for your replies, guidance and suggestions

Dr Mike, thank for that link

Guy and Tim. I am another who likes the way the lever rifles feel in my hand. I have the 348 win, 7mmwsm Browning, and 45/70Marlin and like all three--preference of those three are just as I listed them

truck driver, when I ask April about a shotgun that would "fit" me, she steered me to Connecticut, but I could not afford their shotguns, but maybe they will work for you
Thanks for the suggestion Cheyenne. I have only had one shotgun fit me well and it was a M12 Winchester with a custom Bishop stock that I used for trap shooting till I wore it out so bad it cost more to repair than I could buy a new one for.
And I found the Artemis web site and they are truly beautiful rifles. I would love to have one of their laminated stocks for one of my rifles. It would be cheaper to import the stock than a whole rifle.

Christy (aka Mrs. Hodgeman) tends to like a rifle with a 12.5-13" LOP and fairly light in the muzzle.

So far her favorite is the Steyr Scout with the butt spacers removed. She also likes the Ruger American Compact as it has the right proportions. She likes the Browning X-bolt with the 22" barrel but thinks the stock is about an inch too long for shooting with a jacket. She tends to like rifles with trim wrists and fore ends.

ARs with the sliding stock work too but the butt plate is horrible for anything with any significant recoil- just fine with the 5.56 cartridge though.

Also a fan of the 870 Compact in 20ga with the 20" barrel and 13" stock.

I'd love to get her a Kilimanjaro, but those are a bit north of my means.

...I think Weatherby will be releasing their new rifle designed by women hunters, including Jesse Duff, for women @ ShotShow, might be worth a look...

Wildgene beat me to it. I saw this thread earlier today ( London time ) but was unable to break free until now.

I agree, I think the Weatherby Vanguard Camilla will be worth a look. The price will certainly be more acceptable to more folks.

During the course of the year they have been working on this they received a lot of requests for a shotgun designed for women, so possibly that will be their next project, I hope so.

Best Regards

Jamila

p.s. I am sure that Wyoming huntress will own one very soon after they are available to the public. And why not. Two things Fotis loves, his daughter and Weatherby's, it is a natural

As more women enter the shooting sports, we will undoubtedly see more firearms designed to fit their unique form. And why not? If there is a market, which is obviously the case, then savvy business people will meet the need. The cost of manufacturing, at least initially, will necessitate a slightly higher price (as is often the case for left-handed firearms), but if the market continues to grow costs will eventually settle at a level comparable to the firearms otherwise produced. More power to Weatherby for its production of Camilla firearms. Wonderful way to honour Roy's wife of many years.

Africa Huntress":3d776m1s said:
I agree, I think the Weatherby Vanguard Camilla will be worth a look. The price will certainly be more acceptable to more folks.

Gene/ Jamilla- thanks for the heads up on this. This should make a good candidate for a future acquisition... despite her practical side... Mrs. Hodgeman is completely indifferent to synthetic stocked rifles.

I have looked a bunch at full on custom rifles by the likes of Gene Simillion, Darcy Echols and Mark Penrod. While they seem like a fortune (they are) if I had of had one of those built 20 years ago and devoted the rest of my money into hunting I couldn't imagine where I'd be. Granted I love handling different rifles and cartridges a pair of custom rifles in a 270 Win and 338 Win Mag would cover any ground I've been on. The rifles look relatively simple but the fit and function are absolutely awesome. Not wanting to divest myself of any of my current 70's it might be awhile, but I believe I'd like a rifle like that in the safe.

I imagine a lady could do a lot of hunting with that 1 rifle if it was perfect for her. Same for most of us, but I won't even go there... :twisted:

I would look at the Browning Micro Midas. These are sized for smaller shooters and have shims to increase LOP. These are available up to 300 WSM.
My wife shot a M77 in 7X57 as her long gun. She had no problems as her arms are long. But one day she shouldered a Ruger .44 Auto Carbine then just had to have one. It fit her much better and for years it was all she would carry if the shots were fairly short, such as in the woods for whitetails.
Years back I fit a few by cutting off the stock then using rasps, files and sandpaper reshaped the stock to better fit the shooter.
Things are much better now for both female and young shooters as the manufacturers are recognizing there is a market for guns that fit both.

hodgeman":1bhkzkr8 said:
Africa Huntress":1bhkzkr8 said:

Gene/ Jamilla- thanks for the heads up on this. This should make a good candidate for a future acquisition... despite her practical side... Mrs. Hodgeman is completely indifferent to synthetic stocked rifles.

your welcome sir

my mum always told me to never marry a man who tried to give me a synthetic diamond or hunted with a synthetic stock on his rifle. I think she was joking about the stock on the rifle but probably not the diamond. However, be that as it may, please tell Mrs Hodgeman, that I agree with her, I do not own a rifle with a synthetic stock.

I have been invited to visit The Yukon Territories in Canada and Alaska in the U.S. this summer. If I decide to accept the invitation we will be on the Yukon River most of the time while I am in Alaska. How far from the river does Mrs Hodgeman live ? If I decide to accept the invitation is it o.k. if I pm you Mr Hodgeman ?

Sorry Cheyenne, got a little off track here

Best Regards

Jamila

DrMike":1xn4km6i said:
Good advice from your mom, Jamila. A wise woman, indeed. :grin:

Man.... Your Mom didn't steer you wrong.. Hopefully she learned you to stay away from any fella running those dirty old Remington's! :twisted:

Back