Assistance with Night-Shooting

texasboy112

Beginner
Oct 12, 2007
I'm new to this forum; it's really great... I thought I'd throw this question out there hoping someone may have an answer. I do a lot of Predator Hunting (coyote/bobcat/mountain Lion) on my best friend's 12,000 acre ranch in Texas at night. I'm 61 years old, and my eyes aren't as good as they once were. At times, the cross-hairs are hard to see in my scope; I know about the illuminated scopes, but the better ones are quite expensive.

Before I go that route I've been told that there is a simple devise (which attaches to your scope, the muzzle end) which emits a low amount of light to assist with a problem like this. Two different people have told me about it, but no one knows where they saw it at. I've searched, and searched to no avail; again, I'd like to try it before spending a lot of money on a good quality lit scope. If anyone has seen this, or knows where to get one, I'd "really" appreciated the help. Thanks...

texasboy112

Welcome to the forum.
I know what you are refering to, it clamped on the eye peice of the scope. I have seen it in magizine ads and cabela's in the past.
I the illuminated scopes are a better option but you will spend a few bucks.

JD338

texasboy,
As JD stated, Welcome !

I would put the night hunting ( spot-lighting ) coyotes at the top of my list of one of my favorite pastimes and have done a lot of it. I've used for years a straight 16X Leupold with a cut down target dot by T.K. Lee and Co from back east...just a few years ago did I have to switch to a little larger dot.
Do you do this on your own? We have never used a red filter on the light here. We get some shots at distances the red light just won't allow, thus have spent our money in the direction of a very good light. Not sure how they react to the light in your area, but it seems the cats pretty well stay put and sneak around. The yotes will take off, but generally can be stopped just long enough to pull the trigger by a quick sharp whistle.

Back