AWS Gemini-20 Scale vs. Hornady GS-1500

elkeater2

Handloader
Jan 5, 2009
My son got me a Hornady GS-1500 digital scale (about $30) because I told him I wasn't sure if my old Ohaus 505 was accurate enough. It seemed to do as advertized, at least at first. These little scales in this price range aren't meant to do daily production work, or load by load weighing, yet many of the reviewers seem to want to do that.
I have a powder measure that I've modified and polished the internals on which throws very repeatable charges. I found that setting it up for an individual charge is time consuming, though. So I like being able to slightly change it and see the results quickly - my main use for the little digital.
The Hornady seemed a little flaky, not giving the same weight + or - a tenth or two for the same quantity of powder. Calibration didn't seem to matter. There is a learning curve with these things, they need to be level, turned on and warmed up for a while, stable position, etc. The claimed accuracy to a tenth on the Hornady kinda bugged me. Then the day came when it seemed like I just couldn't get the powder measure set - turned out the Hornady was returning really inconsistent measurements. I went back to the old beam scale, cleaned it up good, and relied on it again.
I pulled out the Hornady a few days ago and checked it with some bullets of known weight and got frustrated all over again, so hit the web looking for info on decent, low cost digital scales. The name that kept coming up was the AWS Gemini-20. I read about it and ordered one. This is smaller, has a dinky pan sitting on a weighing point that is about 5/8" diameter. It also is accurate to 1 milligram! That's .001 gram...or .0154 grains. Hmmm. That is a huge difference!
It works. It repeats. It calibrates. It checks out against the 505 every time. It does display in grains. I found myself being picky about 42.48 grains when I wanted 42.50....that's about 2 kernels of IMR4064. Yes, when it's set to display grains it shows them to two decimal places.
The pan is small, too small for charges over about 45 grains of most powders. I took a plastic 1 oz. size throw away measuring cup which fit nicely in the pan and use that to weigh powder. It works well.
The AWS has a max capacity of 20 grams/308 grains, so it won't do for big bullet weighing, but I don't do that.
The AWS has the small circular weighing surface vs. the larger inkpad size one on the Hornady. The AWS one has more give or easier movement to it, which I believe is a factor in the accuracy. The Hornady has more resistance or less travel, and is designed to weigh much heavier totals. An exagerrated example would be trying to weigh yourself to the ounce on a truck scale - you'll get a reading, but....
So I like the AWS just fine so far. I think it is great for a $30 or less scale.
EE2

That sounds like a great little scale, Bill. I'm always on the lookout for such things.

Doc, who is Bill? :grin: Ol' EE2 is Tom for those who need to know!
Yes, I like the scale so far. They make a ton of different models with different prices, more capacity, some still accurate to one milligram. This one meets my immediate needs. Some of the reviews checking it against some very expensive lab scales, were really impressive.
Another way of saying the accuracy difference is that a scale that is accurate to 1/10 grain plus or minus is accurate to 7 milligrams plus or minus - where this thing is accurate to 1 mg. I will give an update after some more experience...
EE2

Yeah, Tom, age does that to a person. You wouldn't mind changing your name for the duration, would you? :shock: I went online and looked at their lineup. The price is right, and all the reviews are quite positive. It looks like a great investment for the handloader looking for an electronic scale.

Great review of the two scales. I wouldn't mind having a small digital scale around that weighs to the 2nd decimal place.

They have a newer model(GeminPRO) with two different size pans. It's twice the price, and has gotten good reviews. As I checked the reviews of the Gemini-20 it seemed typical of what you find on the web - those who complain are not careful, or have unrealistic expectations, or are chronic complainers who can find fault with anything and enjoy seeing their whining appear on the web. Like I said, there is a learning curve that includes a list of do's and don'ts for use of any digital scale. A guy can do any number of things wrong and get lousy results.
:grin: EE2

elkeater2":rnbkgqjg said:
They have a newer model(GeminPRO) with two different size pans. It's twice the price, and has gotten good reviews. As I checked the reviews of the Gemini-20 it seemed typical of what you find on the web - those who complain are not careful, or have unrealistic expectations, or are chronic complainers who can find fault with anything and enjoy seeing their whining appear on the web. Like I said, there is a learning curve that includes a list of do's and don'ts for use of any digital scale. A guy can do any number of things wrong and get lousy results.
:grin: EE2

Totally agree with that Tom.

I loaded up another test batch, using the Gemini, setting the powder measure, trickling, double checking with the beam.
The little pan is just that, so I previously found and used a plastic container to actually pour powder from that sits on the pan just fine. The pan itself is very light and has a tendency to move around on the actual weighing surface. I glued an 0-ring to the pan base and accomplished two things - the pan is somewhat elevated (tight clearance to the scale surface before) and it quit moving around. Never had to touch the pan or re-position it during the course of 40 rounds.

Like most of these little scales, this one will time out and turn off after a while. I never had it shut off, even while adjusting the powder measure - so the timing isn't too short for me.

The whole routine went very smoothly and I have much more confidence that my charges are accurate and consistent. A balance beam needing a tune-up and a flaky digital had pretty much wrecked my faith in doing things right.

I picked up one thing while reading what others have said about this - while watching even a magnetic beam scale pointer swing and settle, it helps to drum your fingers on the surface close to the scale. If it has any tendency to hang even a little, that helps it along.

EE2

Back