Axis Buck today with the 257 Wby.

wbyfan1

Beginner
Apr 9, 2012
I've been seeking to add one of these guys to my trophy room for quite sometime. Have been on a handful of low fence Axis hunts over the last 5 years, but haven't been presented with the opportunity to shoot a decent buck. Darn things are like ghosts. If you've ever hunted Axis, I'm sure you can relate. I finally had success today, though.

I caught this guy right a daybreak, crossing a big field with a herd of does about 175 yards away. From my experience, watching Axis cross this field in the past, they never stop to graze. They're always in a hurry to gain cover on the other side. Even though he was walking and me not wanting to miss the opportunity, I decided to take the shot. I had a very solid rest and 175 yds is pretty much a chip shot for ol' Roy. I hit him high shoulder with a 115 Gr Ballistic Tip at 3400 and he dropped at the shot.

As an aside, we almost didn't roll out of bed this morning for our hunt. A cold front came through about 5 am, which brought wind, rain, thunder and lightning. Although the storms were past by the time the alarm went off at 0630, it was still raining ever so slightly and the wind was blowing. Thinking to myself, do I really want to get wet and slog around in the mud? Answer was originally "no", but I finally worked up the courage and motivation to get up and go. Glad I did! :)

Very nice!

Very high on my bucket list too. Plan on using my 250 AI when the time comes.

They are sure attractive deer, and you tagged a fine specimen. Congratulations.

Nice job.

Axis is the finest venison on this continent (except for scimitar-horned oryx). I've hunted them many times since 1989.

George

Thanks guy's for the compliments. Yes, I'm definitely a fan of Axis meat and am admittedly somewhat of an Axis meat snob. I'm not much interested in Whitetail anymore. Ha! My wife and kiddos are much the same. :)

cloverleaf":2olja9j6 said:
Blue cyclones strike again!! Very cool! CL

Blue cyclones!! Love it! Definitely my go to bullet in the 257 Wby. Amazing killers and hold up unbelievably well at 257 velocities.

wbyfan1":3dcs4njy said:
cloverleaf":3dcs4njy said:
Blue cyclones strike again!! Very cool! CL

Blue cyclones!! Love it! Definitely my go to bullet in the 257 Wby. Amazing killers and hold up unbelievably well at 257 velocities.

I stole that line from Guy... :oops: But I do use 'em too! CL

GeorgeS":2euj7loh said:
Nice job.

Axis is the finest venison on this continent (except for scimitar-horned oryx). I've hunted them many times since 1989.

George
+1 to that fine eating animal. My Brother and I hunted them at the YO Ranch years ago, and enjoyed every bite! :grin:

Back