Back up plan

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Sunday our neighbor, Jorge, brought us three steers. We use to do 20 steers, last year 6, this year we thought three was enough. Too many can turn into work pretty quick and I like being retired. From now to October we’ll rotate them around, I’ve divided things up into 8-2 to three acre pastures. Well move them after they eat things up. We have a lot of grass this year. An awful lot. I’m guessing I might get 10 days to two weeks on a rotation. When they get done with the last pasture we’ll rotate them back to the beginning.. They are pretty well gentled up for small unit grazing and learned quickly to respect 6Kv running through the wire. There is one I’m suspicious of. He looks like he’s more bull than steer. I checked on them a few ago and he looked at me as if to say “ I can get out of your puny pasture any time I want. We should see 1 1/2 pounds of gain per day. Hope he eats well.

Attachments

• IMG_8800.jpeg
    IMG_8800.jpeg
    625.5 KB · Views: 8
Okay, I get it. He knows what he was, but isn't certain about what he (she or they) is. Sound about right?:whistle:

Sunday our neighbor, Jorge, brought us three steers. We use to do 20 steers, last year 6, this year we thought three was enough. Too many can turn into work pretty quick and I like being retired. From now to October we’ll rotate them around, I’ve divided things up into 8-2 to three acre pastures. Well move them after they eat things up. We have a lot of grass this year. An awful lot. I’m guessing I might get 10 days to two weeks on a rotation. When they get done with the last pasture we’ll rotate them back to the beginning.. They are pretty well gentled up for small unit grazing and learned quickly to respect 6Kv running through the wire. There is one I’m suspicious of. He looks like he’s more bull than steer. I checked on them a few ago and he looked at me as if to say “ I can get out of your puny pasture any time I want. We should see 1 1/2 pounds of gain per day. Hope he eats well.
There isn't anything much more tasty than farm raised beef. We get a half beef every year from my ranch employer as part of my wages, and it is simply delicious. If you have never had the real article, do yourself a favor and try some. It will knock your socks off.

Yep, thats pretty much what we do. Save all the beef fat, grind a lot of the elk, mix in about 10% beef fat, still very lean, Life is good. We often will mix the elk and beef grind together, thats good. Last year we got a hog from our neighbors. Had that ground at 10% also. Died and gone to heaven with beef, pork and elk mixed together. Better yet was last years antelope mixed with pork for burgers. People made funny-happy noise eating those.

Back