Balistic Tip question

jmcrane

Beginner
Dec 9, 2004
I am an experienced long range pistil shooter. Many years in NRA sil competition and 30+ years hunting. I hunt mule deer in the desert of southern Idaho. Shots are often very long. I always shoot from a prone or sitting position using crossed sticks. I recently purchased a 15 inch 7-08 cal barrel for my Encore. My desire is to shoot 140 grain bullets. This barrel will be for deer only. I want to know the impact velocity range in fps for reliable expansion using Nosler BTs' I plan to use what ever factory ammo is the most accurate in my gun. I have plans to try several in this bullet weight. I am not interested in reloading for this particular gun. Once I find one with acceptable accuracy and a good bullet I will buy 4-5 boxes of ammo of the same lot and store them in a stable envoirnment. This will allow several years of scope checking and hunting. I did this with my 25-06 and have taken 4 mulies with it with one shot kills and have 2 1/2 boxes left of 5 in the same lot.

I would say 1600 fps for reliable expansion of BT's. Remember, the bullet must impact at 1600 fps.......

Back