Ballistic Tip vs Accubond Long Range

old_school_guy

Beginner
Jan 8, 2017
I have been loading the 150 gr Ballistic Tips in my Remington 7mm Magnums for 30+ years and have taken a lot of Whitetails with them. Needless to say, I'm satisfied with their performance and most of my shots are 200 yards or less. My favorite load has a muzzle velocity of 3010 fps out of a 24" barrel. With the ammo and reloading component shortages now, I can't find any 150 gr 7mm Ballistic Tips. I bought a box of 100 Nosler AccuBond Long Range 150 gr bullets today simply because it's the first box of 7mm Nosler bullets I have found on the shelf in months. My question is, out to 200 yards and with a muzzle velocity of 3010 fps, will I really see any difference on bullet performance between the BT and ABLR? One other question, so you think the POI will be the same? Any opinions or shared experience would be greatly appreciated.

I’d think those ABLRs will work great on deer. No telling how they will shoot and how the point of impact will be effected but with their soft front end they should work excellent for you.

Let us know how your load work goes and what you end up with.

I was discussing bullets with my guide during one of my elk hunts. On the AccuBond, he had this to say. Under 145-200 yard they get pretty explosive from guns that run them fast. He didn't say which cartridges were the worst offenders but said he didn't like what they did.
Paul B.

The 150 gr ABLR is my go to bullet for my 280AI at 3100 fps. I've shot this bullet out to 800 yards with sub MOA accuracy and it it a hammer on WT deer out to 400 yards. I have shot several deer with this bullet and none have taken a step after being hit. They tend to shoot faster than BT and PT bullets of the same weight.

JD338

PJGunner":2fx94sb1 said:
I was discussing bullets with my guide during one of my elk hunts. On the AccuBond, he had this to say. Under 145-200 yard they get pretty explosive from guns that run them fast. He didn't say which cartridges were the worst offenders but said he didn't like what they did.
Paul B.

Makes me wonder some Paul, since I can’t see a difference from a Partition and AccuBond myself on elk. But guides are just like us all. They form opinions pretty quick in some cases.

Having used Ballistic Tips, Partitions and AccuBonds on many types of big game(antelope to bison) at distances ranging from 15 to 475 yards, with an average shot distance of 137 yards, I have to say that all three have performed as expected on all game at all ranges. Placed properly, these bullets have cleanly harvested these animals cleanly.

As for LRAB vs BT, I would expect more controlled expansion and better penetration due to the bonded construction.

As for POI, only testing in your firearm will determine variations in point of impact on any target, at various ranges. While same POI can occur with different loads, it is the exception, not the rule.

SJB358":qml386u8 said:
PJGunner":qml386u8 said:
Paul B.

Makes me wonder some Paul, since I can’t see a difference from a Partition and AccuBond myself on elk. But guides are just like us all. They form opinions pretty quick in some cases.

No argument from me on that point. I guess I tend to listen when the guide has years of experience and has seem many animals brought down by hunters using the various bullets.

FWIW, one of the bullets I have been trying to get decent accuracy from is the 150 gr. ABLR. So far I've tried it in three rifles in 7x57 and a .280 Rem. I'm a bit hesitant to try in in my 7MM Rem. Mag. based on my guides comments. The Mag. is on a Ruger #1 with the infamous long throat so have not done anything with it yet. I thought that the ABLR would be just about perfect for those longer shots from a 7x57 but so far, no luck with groups.
Paul B.

My 150 ablr experience mirrored PJGunner, just couldn't get them to work in my 280, think I ended up giving what I had left to Fotis for the price of shipping years ago. Used the 129 ablr in a creedmoor for one hunt, extremely unimpressed, varmint bullet performance. I used what I had left for shooting rocks and cow turds, they work great on cow turds. The ballistic tip is worlds better for big game, in my opinion and experience. The ablr's may work well at long range as the label says, I don't shoot at animals far enough away to see the benefits of an extremely soft bullet. If you can get them to fly you may have better luck than I did.

I think the length of the 150 ABLR can cause issues with rifles twisted slower than about 1-9.25” or so. I know my 18” barreled RAR didn’t like them, and a buddy’s Tikka 7/08 wouldn’t shoot them well (which is a pretty sure sign it’s the twist, not the bullet.... because that gun shot everything 150 grains or under pretty dang good.

I’ve not shot the ABLR into a big game animal, so I won’t comment there.... but I’ve seen several dozen Ballistic Tip vs. Deer/Elk/Bear/Pronghorn/Beef Cow/etc collisions, and I’ve never been disappointed with their performance.

old_school_guy":1kgwo4bh said:
I have been loading the 150 gr Ballistic Tips in my Remington 7mm Magnums for 30+ years and have taken a lot of Whitetails with them. Needless to say, I'm satisfied with their performance and most of my shots are 200 yards or less. My favorite load has a muzzle velocity of 3010 fps out of a 24" barrel. With the ammo and reloading component shortages now, I can't find any 150 gr 7mm Ballistic Tips. I bought a box of 100 Nosler AccuBond Long Range 150 gr bullets today simply because it's the first box of 7mm Nosler bullets I have found on the shelf in months. My question is, out to 200 yards and with a muzzle velocity of 3010 fps, will I really see any difference on bullet performance between the BT and ABLR? One other question, so you think the POI will be the same? Any opinions or shared experience would be greatly appreciated.

Do you need any 150 gr Ballistic Tips? The people on this forum have been really good to me and others. With that said and keeping with the spirit of Christmas, I have a couple of boxes that I will gift you. Let me know!

I have some 160gr in .284 if anybody needs them. Not trying to jack your thread but just saying lol

Back