Barrel cleaning

Fuzzy

Beginner
Mar 12, 2006
New member,first post,maybe a dumb question.

I have always been told that when cleaning your barrel you should always start at the chamber end and push thru the same direction as the bullet travels,then remove the brush,pull the rod back thru the barrel and repeat.However,I have seen directions on barrel cleaning that says you should pull the brush back thru the barrel so that you clean in both directions.

Pro's,con's,does it really matter in the big sceme of things?
Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Fuzzy

The only disadvantage of pulling the dirty patch back through the barrel is that you haul all the grit back into the throat and action if you come back too far. For cleaning, though, if you push and pull back and forth stopping short of the chamber area, and then ending up at the muzzle for patch removal, it shouldn't matter "in the larger scheme of things". There are some folks that say that they only push the patch in the direction of bullet travel, but I've never thought that to be necessary. You will probably get more opinions on this, so you be the judge.

Blaine

IF you ask the top ten shooters there cleaning regimen, your going to get 10 different answers. Everyone has there own little things they do with barrel cleaning. THis is what I'm talking about. Very good read and information here with the top shooters. Hope it answers some of your Q's.

http://www.6mmbr.com/borebrushing.html

I agree stick with what you know and has worked. I was taught the same as you but in other than bolt guns such a practice is almost impossible without disassembly of the rifle (Ie: carbines, etc). I think the biggest concern is pushing the debris and solvents into the chamber/action area, so as long as this addressed it can be done both ways without ruining your rifle. However in bolt guns I always use a bore guide and push to the muzzle. When requiring a heavy brushing I stop short of the throat area like mentioned and proceed to muzzle end. I use a bore brush sparingly though, I keep my rifles clean and found patchs work just fine.

More barrels are wrecked by not cleaning or improper tools than the way you ran the rod! When asked I always suggest 1 piece coated rod, bore guide, bronze or nylon only brushs and good qualitiy solvents. In terms of solvents I say run your lead/carbon solvent first, then move to a dedicated copper solvent, after using ammonia based agents run a patch of Isopropyl Alcohol down followed by a couple dries to ensur the entire barrel is solvent free, as if left it can attack the rifling/bore. Finish off by running a well saturated patch of light gun oil down to coat/protect and store muzzle down on a cloth or few patchs. Prior to firing make sure to run a dry patch to remove any excess oil from the bore to prevent the chance of increased pressure upon intial firing. Wether you stroke back in forth, use a brush or just patches is up to you.

Thanks for all the good info guys.Been cleaning for years but there are so many opinions on the procedure that I thought there might be something I'm missing.Barrels always come clean but it sounds like I may be using a brush to much(bronze).

My solvent of choice has been Butches Bore Shine.I use this as both a powder solvent as well as copper solvent,should I use something else or at least have different solvents for powder/copper.

Anyway,thanks again
Fuzzy

Fuzzy, I don't consider myself an expert but personally don't consider Butchs, Shooter Choice MC#7, etc a good copper remover. Yes they will pull some copper and do fine on powder/carbon/lead fouling but aren't strong enough to get all. I have tested many all in one solvents and always found a dedicated CR solvent will pull blue after the others appeared clean. So I suggest a dedicated copper remover such as Sweets 7.62, Barnes Cr10, etc. Many are using and talking up "wipe out" a foaming bore cleaner but I personally haven't used it. This product is spendy from what I have seen locally and I haven't heard any one say it is better at removing copper, just easier. As you fill the bore with the foam and leave it stand up over night then push patches.

FWIW, I use the following products

Main Solvent - Shooter's Choice MC#7
CR - Sweets - 7.62 or Barnes CR10
Light Gun Oil - BC Gun Sheath
Lube/Action Cleaner - BreakFree CLP

Many others have tried but these seem to be my favs and most used.

Some don't use such CR agents or feel it is required cuz they don't see a problem with accuracy but it depends on what you deem accurate and really how much you shoot. For the average hunter 1000 rounds through a bore is what 10 years, maybe more? However for others might be 1-2 years. Accuracy is really individualized, might be MOD or MOA your striving for??? I personally believe a clean gun is better, as long as you use proper tools and technique..which really means use common sense. I have yet to wreck a bore by cleaning but I have seen others that never reached their life potential b/c lack there of.

Again personal opinions dedicate habits or choices.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the good info Skeeter,been thinking about trying Sweets anyway.

My barrel will love me again.

Fuzzy

My solvent of choice is sweets with a nylon brush. Works good for me. If the copper is still not all the way out, I've been hearing of Wipe out, or the JB paste is a good one, for the tough stuff. For most though, sweets is more then enough to get the job done.

I keep a log of rounds fired thru my guns and my A-Bolt now has 270 rounds down the barrel.
Been cleaning with Butches all this time.Ran some Sweets with nylon brush and I was amazed at the amount of crap and crud that came out.

Will take it to the range this Thursday,hope the groups shrink some.

Thanks for all the input.

Fuzzy

I use Shooters Choice MC7 and Sweets 7.62.
This combo works well for me.

JD338

Back