Barrett Fieldcraft 6mm Creed Report

TN deer hunter

Beginner
Dec 21, 2004
I've been wanting a 6mm Creed in a Fieldcraft for a while so when Cabela's had a sale I decided to take the plunge and with my Cabela's points I came out pretty well.
I put a SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope on it I snagged on sale with some Talley Lightweights and so far I'm very impressed.

Cleaned the bore, checked torque on action screws then got it on paper with one shot using factory Match 108gr ELD's which grouped .556" @ 100yds then moved to 200yds and fired my last 108gr ELD cartridge which is the low left covered with tape. I switched to the factory Precision Hunter 103gr ELD-X and I'm truly impressed with such a light rifle shooting factory ammo.

I can't wait to load up some 105gr Berger Hybrids with Alpha brass.

51373558-8570-4809-9EB0-5599A34E05BD.jpg

40A90BE6-C605-47FA-B31C-F9A95FF2F8FB.jpg

Very nice!

I know that every time I mess with one of these Fieldcraft rifles I come away impressed. These things just shoot! I wouldn't be surprised if that one tightens up slightly once the barrel wears in a bit.

I keep looking at the 6 Creedmoor and really like it.

I already had a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creed I bought out of curiosity and it shoots almost as good as the Fieldcraft so instead of doing another build I thought I would see if the Fieldcraft lived up to the hype and I must say I'm a fan.

I was thinking matching Creeds but didn't want to wait on a McSwirly and then build.
Here is my 6.5 Custom I had the gunsmith that built it switch it over from the original ADL platform to a Atlas DBM last summer.

E99E1B1E-193F-486A-B6F3-43CAA7D3E363.jpg

7ED468E2-770C-41FE-8279-044DBFB3D278_1.jpg

Guy, what do you think of the overall workmanship of the rifle, action and barrel? I have a Forbes 24 the predecessor to the Barrett Fieldcraft and just love the workmanship. What is the barrel length on the 6mm creed?

270elk":27ip6137 said:
Guy, what do you think of the overall workmanship of the rifle, action and barrel? I have a Forbes 24 the predecessor to the Barrett Fieldcraft and just love the workmanship. What is the barrel length on the 6mm creed?

I have no idea. Haven't seen the rifle. I'd imagine it's a pretty good rifle, but I dunno.

Regards, Guy

TN deer hunter":aigcmwcw said:
I already had a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creed I bought out of curiosity and it shoots almost as good as the Fieldcraft so instead of doing another build I thought I would see if the Fieldcraft lived up to the hype and I must say I'm a fan.

I was thinking matching Creeds but didn't want to wait on a McSwirly and then build.
Here is my 6.5 Custom I had the gunsmith that built it switch it over from the original ADL platform to a Atlas DBM last summer.

E99E1B1E-193F-486A-B6F3-43CAA7D3E363.jpg

7ED468E2-770C-41FE-8279-044DBFB3D278_1.jpg
What is the rest in the picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's a Caldwell Deadshot Fieldpod MAX. I needed a solid rest since we can shoot up to 700yds out of my shot house.
I bought one for my son to use when he was too small to hold a gun and really liked it, now that he's big enough I bought another for myself.

Seeing more and more of this "match" type stuff creeping into hunting. I think that a lot of us are in pursuit of every bit of precision we can get.

The light-recoiling 6mm & 6.5mm cartridges have become very popular.

Long for caliber bullets capable of match grade accuracy have also become popular.

And now rests like this one, designed to hold the rifle as steady as possible are also becoming popular

This sort of thing isn't going to work in every situation, but it sure works well in some!

Guy

I've been shooting the 264 win mag with a pretty mild load (140gr Berger at 2914fps) for quite a few years for these reasons Guy. It was my attempt to hit those goals before everything today was available. It works well enough I'm going to stick with it too!

I have one of those rests also for one particular stand location plus when I take kids. It's pretty slick. Usually my optics tripod with the Outdoorsmans rest is plenty for as far as I have to shoot. That one spot I can reach a bit further though safely.

Back