Base to Ogive question

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I ran out of 180 Accubonds for the 300 Win Mag which was shooting very well with RL-22. I only used one box to try and see if it shot well before buying in bullets/ powder in bulk.
I found two boxes of the same lot number at Bass Pro but it differs from my old lot. I saved the last bullet from the old lot for base to ogive measurement and it measures .012" longer from BTO compared to the new lots. Do I seat the new lot of bullets at the same measurement that the seater was set on for the prior load or do I need to seat another .012" deeper? I want to try to get it to shoot the same as the old lot. More likely I may have to redo the seating depth test again? :?: It's a pain in the butt to start all over again, but hoping I don't have to.

Midway won't guarantee me same lot numbers if I were to buy 5 boxes. Anyone know who does? I am starting to love Nosler bullets more now. Tough and accurate. I just kicked Berger 168 VLD Hunt off my list for the 7mm's. Next mission is the 160 AccuBond and the 150 ABLR for the 7mm Magnum. 8)

Mark, I'd try the same seating depth as the old lot first. Meaning don't change your seater die, load and shoot. If they don't shoot you can always shorten them.

SJB358":3t62ic2b said:
Mark, I'd try the same seating depth as the old lot first. Meaning don't change your seater die, load and shoot. If they don't shoot you can always shorten them.

Scott has given you excellent advice. That is what I'd be doing.

Very hot and humid range day today, 5 mph wind average.

I reloaded the same charge from last week's ago testing for the .300 Mag and 180 Accubonds with 74.4, 74.5 and 74.6 grains of RL-22 and confirmed less than an inch 3 shot groups at 300 yards with 74.4 grains and 1 and a quarter inches with 74.5 and 74.6 grains with the new lot of Accubonds, there was not very much change between two lots. The last two loads opened up possibly to heavy mirage when the clouds parted at 11:30 am and humidity was so bad. at 97%. I'll settle on 74.6 grains ( high side of the node ) for hot weather, so when cold weather comes I'll still be in the node on the low side.
Average velocity :
74.4 = 3,170
74.5 = 3,205
74.6 = 3,208

Going to load 10 rounds and sight her in and hopefully when my nilgai hunt comes in January during the rut and I'll put the AccuBond to the test. It may be a pass through, hopefully not so I can see how the bullet performed. (y)

Next mission is 160 Accubonds in the 7mm Magnum, see if they group for deer season this winter. Will try the RL-25

TackDriver284":2xzgogal said:
Very hot and humid range day today, 5 mph wind average.

I reloaded the same charge from last week's ago testing for the .300 Mag and 180 Accubonds with 74.4, 74.5 and 74.6 grains of RL-22 and confirmed less than an inch 3 shot groups at 300 yards with 74.4 grains and 1 and a quarter inches with 74.5 and 74.6 grains with the new lot of Accubonds, there was not very much change between two lots. The last two loads opened up possibly to heavy mirage when the clouds parted at 11:30 am and humidity was so bad. at 97%. I'll settle on 74.6 grains ( high side of the node ) for hot weather, so when cold weather comes I'll still be in the node on the low side.
Average velocity :
74.4 = 3,170
74.5 = 3,205
74.6 = 3,208

Going to load 10 rounds and sight her in and hopefully when my nilgai hunt comes in January during the rut and I'll put the AccuBond to the test. It may be a pass through, hopefully not so I can see how the bullet performed. (y)

Next mission is 160 Accubonds in the 7mm Magnum, see if they group for deer season this winter. Will try the RL-25

RL25 with 160 Accubonds shot real well in my 7mm Rem. Pretty fast to, at nearly 3100 without too much trouble.

Back