Bavarian Red Deer

EOD Diver

Handloader
Dec 30, 2011
Howdy Guys!
Had an opportunity to hunt at one of the military training areas in Bavaria last weekend and was able to harvest a mature buck and a calf for meat. We lucked out and it was the first hunt of the year and the peak of their rut so they were very active and vocal! It’s really neat to hear them growl. Because the German government said that the chamber on my custom 270 wasn’t to their specifications and was unable to proof mark it, I had to borrow the local Forestmeister’s rifle. It was a Sauer 80 in 300 WBY and was wearing a suppressor. I must say that it was the quietest and softest shooting 300 WBY I’ve ever encountered! The Bavarian people are very warm and welcoming and our hunting party all had a blast!
V/R,
Joe

Attachments

• 7A2BB8F4-B386-4F02-B8C4-EDC2078030BC.jpeg
    7A2BB8F4-B386-4F02-B8C4-EDC2078030BC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 921
Sounds like an exciting hunt. Congratulations on your successful outing.

JD338

Joe, good to see your post. We've missed your contributions. Sounds as if it was a great hunt for you. Congratulations on harvesting the stag and the calf.

I was referring to the Govt., not the general population. I know that the proof houses serve a purpose, but in this case it seems unnecessary.

Well.
In Europa, guns have to meet CIP limits and every gun has to be proof-shot.
If the chamber does not meet the limits, it is considered a wildcat and that's were it get expensive.
If in Rome, do as the Romans.
Hey, but we don't have a speed limit ;-)

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Thank you guys! I look forward to another opportunity come December. More to follow then!
V/R,
Joe

If you ever end up in the northern part of Germany, drop me a line
If boar are around by then, we go stalking them.

NP,
Much obliged and will do! Thank you for the invite! Also, congrats on your recent harvests!
V/R,
Joe

I forgot a Waidmanns Heil!

If you can make it up north, we will go out.
Boar are still in the corn-fields, but they will come back.

If you need help with the 6,5x68, I might be able to help, thought I do not have the dies, yet.

Weidmann dank! I appreciate the help. I hope to receive the rifle soon and then intend to buy dies for it. It pays to be a handloader here, as the KS bullet looks about as aerodynamic as a Cadillac DeVille. With the 250mm twist, I’m not sure what lead-free bullet I could feed it that would stabilize.
V/R,
Joe

I just calculated some 120 gr bullets and they are marginal with that twist.
Seems like you are better off with 100 gr.

Not the best choice for red stag, but gams are rather small and the starting velocity should be awesome.

Grauwolf.net has a good supply.
Not always the cheapest, but you get an idea what's available.

Other options not listed there
Aero
Ok Bullets
Sax
Reichenberger
Jaguar

I wouldn't fall in love with the barrel - it will be a short relationship if you use it regularly.
But sure to be a laser beam with light bullets.

Way too large case for a 6,5

Any leads on a 100 gr lead-free projectile? I see Nosler only has the 120 e-tip.
V/R,
Joe

Barnes?
If you keep the shots within 300 m, the Fox. Well. With the x68 even farther out.
There even lighter ones - don't know if that's making sense with that cartridge.
As listed above.
Edit: just read a German loading guide.
They list 120 gr lead free with the 1:10 twist.
Even 140 gr.
So you might give them a try.

120 should be around 3200 fps

So I’ve got dies on order, which won’t be ready until December (special order that they apparently have to make), and some 125 grain Partitions. With a 26” barrel those bullets should be scooting with a little N570 behind them!
V/R,
Joe