"Bear Rifles to the Range"

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
This morning I met a client at the range and helped her for an hour or so with her .38 J-Frame snub nose revolver. It's a very lightweight, all aluminum model, double action only, and not the easiest handgun to master. We're working on it though.

After finishing up there, I headed over to the rifle range, where I was disappointed to see that I was limited to 100 yards. Still, I determined to make the best of it, and uncased the .30-06 & .375 H&H. :grin:

I shot from prone, sitting and standing with both rifles. Not too many shots. When shooting unsupported like that, my groups aren't very pretty, but the object today was simply to hit the targets, mostly paper plates and all at 100 yards.

The .30-06 700 CDL is sighted-in at 300 yards with the 165 Nosler Partitions, likely explaining the high hits at 100 yards:

The .375 is sighted at 200 yards, with the 260 gr Nosler AccuBond. I'm always pleased with this rifle, though today the first shot caught me by surprise, I wasn't quite ready for the thump!

Am thinking all is well in the rifle/scope/load department. Just need to get out there and find a bear! Or two.

Interestingly, I think my son and I both prefer the ancient Model of 1917 .30-06 to the new Rem 700 CDL. I was trying to figure it out and came up with two reasons; the 1917 has a Bell & Carlson stock that really tames recoil, and it also has a Timney trigger. Nothing wrong with the 700 CDL, and it is a pretty rifle, but doggone, I think both of us like the old rifle better. Strange, but true.

Regards, Guy

Guy there is nothing wrong with Old :mrgreen:, it looks like both are ready for some action. Good shooting my friend!!

Blessings,
Dan

Either rifle looks to be performing as expected, and you're not doing badly, either. :grin:

Nice shooting Guy. You are so ready.
I checked my zero on my Marlin 1895Guide yesterday. 300 gr PT is dead on at 100 yards.
Ready for a nice big bear in a couple weeks.

JD338

Good shooting Guy, looks like your ready for a bruin or 2!..Go get'em pal, Lou :wink:

Very nice Guy! That old 375 just shoots. Your new 30-06 looks ready for the elk or bear for sure.

Very cool. Love to see the groups from sitting and other positions. Really humbles a guy when you shoot like that.

Back