Bedded the old Ruger

HeathSexton

Handloader
May 12, 2006
I have posted on here about 100 times about my woes with my old Ruger 77MKII in 30/06. It has never shot very well and was running all loads but one from 2"-3" at 100yds. It has lived in the safe for the past few years due to it's lack of accuracy. I would never get rid of it, but I did consider a .35 Whelen rebore. While surfing the 24hrcampfire I found a thread about bedding the Rugers. I figured there is no way I could make it any worse other than welding the action to the stock. :) I used Devcon plastic weld and the job turned out looking good. I mounted a Vari-XII 4-12x40, loaded 3 rounds and left for the bench. I zeroed at 25yds and then moved the target to 100yds. Here is my 1st 3 shot group with no cool down between rounds.

Looks like it's going to get some woods time.

IMG_0315.jpg

Heath,

Pay dirt! Move it 2.5" to the right and you are good to to go out to 300 yds.

JD338

JD, yep I gotta move it to the right. I am going to shoot a few more groups to check the consistency first and then rescope. I really have no doubts about the load, it's the one that shot lights out through my Savage 116 every single group.

I am amazed at how bedding tightened the groups up. This same load was running 1.5"-2" according to my notes before bedding.

Looks like the Weatherby is next! I was going to spring for a new Medalist but I may just bed it. I was reading around and it seems the tupperware stocks are prone to vertical strings like mine gives.

Heath,

Its all about consistancy. When you can eliminate or reduce as many variables, you increase consistancy.
You are doing a fine job!

JD338

Thanks guys. Hopefully better weather will come in and I can fire 4-5 more groups to see how it's gonna run.

Nicely done, I have an old wood stocked '06 that shoots good. Maybe it will shoot even better bedded. You have inspired me. CW

Thanks guys, yeah it's not going anywhere that's for sure.

3006, let us know how your rifle shoots after you bed it.

I am shopping for bedding material now. What brands have been used and what recommendations would folks give them? CW

I used Devcon Plastic Weld on my synthetics, I also see people using JB Weld. I think Devcon 10110 is supposed to be es muy goodo.

Thats nice work there, must be a weight off the shoulders. I had a rifle I could not get to shoot and just could not keep it, bugged me too much.

Corey

Awesome shooting Heath. I think you have just inspired me to bed my Ruger 300WM. It is a good shooter, but I think it would really come round with a good bedding job.

FWIW, I used Acra Gel in the past and man, it seems to work pretty well. Scotty

Back