Been doing some reading by you guys.....

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
And it sounds like some of you think there is a world of difference between a Leupy vx2 and the vx3 besides 100.00..

How much difference is what I'm wondering? I am going to start looking for a scope for my Marlin 45-70 and was considering the vx2 in a 4x. On my 1952 Marlin 30-30 I just put a Weaver classic 4x because the weaver 4x was originally one of my choices way back 40 years ago when I started hunting with it...but I got a Redfield 4x wide angle instead and I wanted to kind of keep it like it was back then. I actually still have the Redfield but the lenses are kind of yellow so....

Anyway whats the advice for a gun that I probably won't shoot lots, but still want decent glass.

Long

I have a newer Leupy VX3 1.5-5 on my Ruger Number 1, 9.3x74R and it is a very nice bright and capable scope. I also own couple of older VXII, VXIII Leupy's on rimfire's and they have worked fine as well. I have no experience with the new VX2 Leupy's though.

Supposedly the new VXII has the same glass as the older VXIII. How many old model VXII's are still out there is hard to tell.

Long,

he VX-3 1.75-6x32mm is very bright. You will have no problem getting a sight picture past legal shooting light. This is a key benefit if you are hunting in the cedar swamps as it gets pretty dark before legal shooting ends. It could be the difference in tagging a big swamp buck in those last few minutes of the day.

JD338

JD338 is very keen on that variable of his, the 1.75 - 6x, and I have to admit that it makes all sorts of sense for a powerful, big game hunting rifle. My own low powered variable is a 1.5-5x, and I've got no reservations about using it either, out to 300+ yards on game, or up close and personal.

With my .45/70 Marlin, I made a very simple choice, a fixed 2.5x Leupold.

Super lightweight at only 8 ounces. Excellent optics. Rugged as all get out. Mounts well forward so there is plenty of forehead/eyebrow clearance when shooting hard-kicking loads. I put a fixed 4x Leupold on it eventually, and sold the rifle, scope and all my ammo to a neighbor & friend. He loves that doggone big bore Marlin and the 4x. I hear it's making a dent in the whitetail population...

Regards, Guy

Long
An acquaintance works for luepold and told me the VXIII scopes are the best buy in the business. He rattled of some technical info I didn't really understand but convinced me of that being true. I have both VXII and VXIII in the safe and am completely satisfied with them. I won't replace any of the VXII just to do it but any additional scopes will be VXIII.

Well I ordered the Leupy VX3 in the 1.75-6 x32. Happy birthday to me.....in April.

Long

Nothing like an early birthday present. :grin: Sounds as if you have done well.

I have
longwinters":3eq5tjzp said:
Well I ordered the Leupy VX3 in the 1.75-6 x32. Happy birthday to me.....in April.

Long

Nice birthday present! I have the same scope on my 1895 45-70. Seems like a good combo so far.

I wouldn't have minded a straight 4x in a smaller scope package, but the 20mm just made me wonder about FOV and light transmission as my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Long

The Leupold straight six is a real nice fixed power scope if I had not been able to pick up the Diavari at such a reasonable price ( Thanks Doc :mrgreen: ) I would have gone to the Leupold VXIII in the fixed 6 :).

Blessings,
Dan

Back