Been Looking A Long Time

ldg397

Handloader
Sep 27, 2007
I love model 70 stainless classics and have one in 7 mag and 30-06. Neither is a coveted 5 digit but close. One is about 110000 and one about 125,000 which is still pretty early for a classic and both function flawless and shoot well.

I just bought a 5 digit (60,000) stainless classic featherweight synthetic in short action and in .308 caliber. I don’t know how rare they are but been looking for awhile. Bought it at an auction so will be a couple weeks til I get my hands on it. Will most likely have to drop it in an McMillan edge. Can’t wait.

Does anyone have one? What ha e you done to yours??

I bought mine used in 2003 at a local hardware store. SN G81XXX and chambered in .30-06.

It’s my favorite rifle. On it’s a second barrel, a Douglas premium.

Easy on the eyes and shoots great!

e2b350c117f5ce3127f6de550babe7c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a beautiful rifle. I love the stainless and walnut together. Both mine have original barrels but I just got a .30 bartlein 2b delivered last week to turn my 7 mag into a 308 Norma.

I’ve always liked the .308 Norma Mag, should be an excellent hunting rifle.

I would like to have a stainless featherweight in .22-250 or .222 for coyotes and another classic stainless in .30-06 for when my son comes of age.

Mine was the first gun I ever remember seeing with stainless and walnut stock combo. Since then I’ve seen several others. Interesting what catches on.

PJGunner":2zvnl5c0 said:
I have one in .338 Win. Mag. New Haver Stainless Classic. I hate it.
Paul B.
That would be a prime candidate for a rebarrel to .308 Norma Mag as well!

I imagine that .338 is a handful off of the bench!

filmjunkie4ever":lcmgw22t said:
PJGunner":lcmgw22t said:
I have one in .338 Win. Mag. New Haver Stainless Classic. I hate it.
Paul B.
That would be a prime candidate for a rebarrel to .308 Norma Mag as well!

I imagine that .338 is a handful off of the bench!

Or a nice 270 Wby ;)

Always liked how stainless/walnut looks. Wish I had bought one of the left hand versions of them in the short time they were made, not going to shell out the money for what they go for these days however.

gerry":3n7dt857 said:
Wish I had bought one of the left hand versions of them in the short time they were made, not going to shell out the money for what they go for these days however.

I think I gave $600 for mine in 2003 and I thought I might have gotten took at the time but seeing what they go for today etc. I think $600 was a darn good deal.

Even your basic sporter goes for nearly 8 bills NIB hereabouts.

Nothing wrong with the .270 Weatherby either Gerry! Never owned one personally but have shot a handful of them.

I like that .257 Bee as well...

I have a classic stainless in .270. S/N is 45XXX. I purchased it new in 1995. I probably have only shot 4 boxes of shells in it. Not my favorite rifle...

Man, I like most all of the Classics, I’ve got a SuperGrade 300 RUM, 264 Win, 7 WSM, 270 WSM, and 25-06. All but the 264 have been really good rifles. I’m not sure if I have any 5 digit ones though.

The 264 has always shot well, but after messing with the trigger for years I put a Rifle Basix shoe on it and it has been flawless since.

The Classic action is pretty much my favorite action to build off of. These days they’re getting darned pricey though. I keep my eyes open for old beat up guns though. That’s my preferred way of scoring an action.

filmjunkie4ever":16zl433z said:
I bought mine used in 2003 at a local hardware store. SN G81XXX and chambered in .30-06.

Did you shoot the first barrel out?

SJB358":15nnifs8 said:
Man, I like most all of the Classics, I’ve got a SuperGrade 300 RUM, 264 Win, 7 WSM, 270 WSM, and 25-06. All but the 264 have been really good rifles. I’m not sure if I have any 5 digit ones though.

The 264 has always shot well, but after messing with the trigger for years I put a Rifle Basix shoe on it and it has been flawless since.

The Classic action is pretty much my favorite action to build off of. These days they’re getting darned pricey though. I keep my eyes open for old beat up guns though. That’s my preferred way of scoring an action.

filmjunkie4ever":15nnifs8 said:

Did you shoot the first barrel out?

Can you believe, my beloved 250 savage used to have a bead blasted "in the white" finish w/ a walnut stock. Looked very much like that...until I had it blued. What was I thinking!! Sharp rifle! CL

I will just leave this right here for my fellow Winchester stainless classic cult brotheren.

https://www.proxibid.com/Winchester-Mod ... 5#topoflot

Do not do this, but there are several other lookers although not stainless if you type Winchester 70 in the search bar. It is basically auctions of collections/ estate sales all over the country.

Beware the fine print fees and internet premiums on this deal but some may be able to pick up in person. This one is not that far from me.

Back